knight46

Compression

Compression controls the changes in amplitude (volume). It does not remove the dynamics, but it can reduce changes in amplitude by a ratio. Compressors do nothing to the signal until the "threshold" level is reached. Once the level goes over the threshold, changes in level will be reduced by the ratio. If a 2:1 ratio is set and the input level goes 10dB over the threshold, the output will be 5 dB over the threshold. Then there's the attack, which is the speed at which the compressor reacts when the threshold is reached. Slower attacks can be smoother but will not catch the initial transients - sometimes a good thing.

Now go spend forever playing with a compressor. :D

Hi Rockerbob:

Thanks for the info. I've been playing for over 20 years and I've ever played around with a compressor effect. I recently got a MXR Super Comp, M-132 for my birthday and I just learning how to implement it in some of my riffs. I am open to any suggestions.

Doug    12

Lots of really good info here. Les, especially, thanks for the tracks.

I have a compressor but I never (seldom) use it. I generally only record acoustic guitar and I prefer to leave the dynamics untouched. With 24 bit recording I have seldom found a situation where the loud sections overdrive and clip in order to get good resolution on the quiet sections. But I could see examples where this could happen in acoustic music - flamenco for example - those percussive rasgueados (sp) can be pretty loud.

I think it also depends on where you are listening to the songs. A lot of commercial recording is compressed so that it will sound good in noisy environments or on questionable equipment - cars and ipods. It does this at the expense of dynamic range.

Classical music has much more dynamic range between the quiet sections and the loud sections because it is assumed to be listened to on good equipment in a quiet environment.

If you had a large dynamic range, you would not be able to hear the quiet sections if you are listening in a car.