carol m

My New Acoustic Electric Guitar

carol m    64

Finally I bought the new guitar I have been researching (thanks everyone). I wanted to get a left hander as good as my right hander Takamine EG15SC which I took along to the store for comparison. This was the only store in all of Sydney that had a left hander that wasn't entry level.

I thought I wanted a cedar top the same as the Takamine so I was expecting to buy the Tanglewood TWB45NS that I knew they had. When I saw it, it looked small and a bit 'cheap', and when I played it, it sounded fairly ordinary as well. That's when guitar guy says those fateful words....'How about this one!!' and handed me a guitar that looked much nicer. I played it and it sounded ok too.

With some anxiety I asked him 'How much' and it was only $200 more, so the decision was easy.

I bought a Tanglewood TW15 left hander - here are the specs

Tanglewood TW15CE-B Sundance Pro Acoustic Guitar

Here ladies and gentlemen is review (which I hadn't read before buying it)

Tanglewood TW15 & TW45 Guitars - Check 1,2

Notice the bit that says "The feel of the instrument was stunning with one of the best actions I have felt on an acoustic guitar. The ease of touch made this guitar a pleasure to play and produced a very satisfying acoustic tone. The sound was well balanced with a slightly lifted presence."

That reviewer is clearly a man (I assume) of excellent taste!

And here are some recordings and comparisons all done without much experiment and no effects of any sort- all the settings on the guitars themselves are at zero (neutral).

They are in order,

1) Takamine in open D into a mic, Tascam and Garage Band

2) Tanglewood played E chord into mic, Tascam and Garage Band

3)Takeamine in open D with pickup into Tascam and Garage Band

4) Tanglewood played E chord with pickup into Tascam and Garage Band.

The Takamine still sounds the best in real life, but the difference is not enough to make a huge difference. Being able to play it properly will make more difference to its sound than anything else!!!

Happy Christmas to me...:yeahhh:

Tak Demo 1 GB direct.mp3

TW demo 1 GB direct.mp3

Tak + picup + Tascam.mp3

TW + pickup + Tascam.mp3

eddiez152    129

Carol,

Very nice looking guitar. I see it is a cutaway dreadnought style.

On the direct recording, it is crisp. But it seems like your record settings are too high.

On the Tascam, it comes across very bass'y. More mellow so to speak.

Reduce the bass setting on the guitar when going through the Tascam.

Are your settings on the guitar at center position? I assume it has a 3 band equalizer.

I see you mentioned they are in neutral position.

Is that the store where you bought it? looks like a nice place.

Merry Christmas and Congrats on you new acquisition.

carol m    64

Thanks gdb, yes they are a good pair.

Eddie, I assumed your extra posts were errors and deleted them - about the sound, yes, I have to experiment with all the nobs. The mic was placed pointing at the 14th fret but I didn't spend any time experimenting with placement yet. The eq's were all at centre position on both guitars. The Tanglewood is a solid spruce top and the Takamine is a solid cedar top and the same size body so I think that gives the Tanglewood a crisper sound.

The Tanglewood is fitted with Fishman Classic 4 pickups which have good reviews. After i spend some more time experimenting with the sound I would grateful for some of your expert hints on how to get the best sound. All the above were without any of Garage Bands effects used so there are lots of variables to play around with.

carol m    64
Congrats, good choice, sounds much brighter.

I noticed it also saves on recording KB's as well. :tomato:

Some say 'brighter' is clearer and therefore 'better' ! I prefer to think of it as having freedom of choice. :P

carol m    64

Here is the whole crew:

a bit over exposed (photographically) but they are from left to right

The new Tanglewood TW15 (with nice snowflake inlays)

The Takamine EG15SC

The Samick Fender Strat copy

The no-name poor relation (e-Tunes Supplies!)

Yamaha G228 lying flat

7772.attach

carol m    64

At least, and a semi hollow, and a real lap-steel....hmmm.....i always wanted to play a banjo..... and did I mention the cello??????

When I joined this site I had only the Yamaha :yeahhh:

fly135    5

Congrats on the new guitar. I'm surprised the Tak recording with the pickup sound so muffled compared to the mic'd one. The TW pickup recording sounded like it was clipping. How about a recording of the Yamaha. I have a CG101 and it's pretty boomy when mic'd with my Nada mic. I may have to give it a try with my new MXL mic.

eliot-ness    0

Mmmmmmmmmmm, Nice one Carol. :yes: Congratulations, it looks and sounds beautiful. Thats great collection of guitars you've got there. Do you play left handed all the time or are you able to switch between the two? Will be looking forward to hearing your first recording. Tony:wheelchai

thodwris    1

Hello Carol...

Congratulations on the new guitar as well as the whole family!!That new guitar is made of excellent woods and I think that it was a great choice to get it!I think it was worth the money and the time you waited.Now make sure to have lots of fun with it and make great music!!

I also think that the recording didn't take out the potential of the guitar.But it is a small issue though which I am sure that you will sort out in time.Keep up the good work and give us a song next time :winkthumb: !...

All the best,

Theo

carol m    64

Thanks guys, I just relistened through different earphones and there is a rattle/buzz somewhere in the system (apart from the recordiing levels). It's on the Tak even with open strings (no fretting) so it isn't just dodgey finger fretting.. It's also on mic and pickup.....hmmm......more researching needed.

carol m    64

Fly: I used the Yamaha to record the Giuliani Lesson No3 a while back. It was my first guitar - entry level student nylon string and cost $100. It sounds OK for a cheap guitar and would sound even better if I could play it well, but it's great for noodling around on.

Eddie: no that wasn't where I bought the guitar. I bought it here. "Hi Che!!"

http://http://www.wildhorseguitars.com.au/

Their web page is a classic! I was already favourably impressed before I went there, so I suppose that is good marketing. It was still the guitars that was the most important thing of course.

As I said it was the only store I found in Sydney that had 2 mid range leftys, most other stores only had one entry level or none.

carol m    64

I just checked and saw that is a link with a kink (my second in 2 days :wheelchai ) - this link might be better:

Wild Horse Guitars :: Home

Yes Eddie lots of nice toys, luckily for my bank balance they were all right handers.

You might find it interesting - while I was there I asked the lovely Che (Hi there again Che!) if I could have a quick strum on a really nice (expensive) guitar - something I had never done. He hands me a Martin Eric Clapton Signature 000 series with a price tag of $4999 (as far as I remember).

It certainly was nice, but the surprising thing (to me) was that the sound wasn't hugely different - it was only a quick strum - which tells me that the best way I can improve my 'sound' most is by getting better with my guitar skills, and not buying a nicer instrument.

I'm not saying a really good player wouldn't make it sound impressive, but for my skill level there is no point whatsoever in wanting a 'better' guitar than the one I have.

Here is the Harmony Central review of the Tanglewood

Tanglewood TW15 FC4: Harmony Central User Reviews

starsailor    20

Congrats. on the new guitar Carol looks and sounds great, the store you got it from looks like guitar heaven love the western theme too, very cool:thumbup1:

Best Wishes

Chris

carol m    64

Thanks Chris, and they aren't 'cowboys' either.

Spraytech: of course, the guitars need more care and attention than mere people. Mind you, there is a rumour around that Santa is bringing me a 7 berth guitar rack........do the sums!! :yeahhh:

carol m    64

I re-did a recording of the Tanglewood (spruce) compared to the Takamine (cedar). This is straight into the laptop with only the mac onboard mic. You can clearly hear the difference in sound - I think I may have been a bit further away with the Tak because it sounds softer. This is no effects of any sort. The Tak also still has the original strings :oops: well, I've hardly played it since I bought it 3 years ago!

The rattle I could hear before I think was in the @#$#@$# 'new' computer which still hasn't been sorted properly yet.

Tak on board mic.mp3

TW on board mic.mp3

thodwris    1

Well,it took my about five-six times to listen to the takes to understand the difference between the two guitars :laughingg: but I think I got it :laughingg: !!...You must try all ways possible to record and then come up with the one that brings the best results!I have the same problem figuring out how to use correctly the M-Audio with my computer :) .Keep trying and soon you will get there,that's what I always say to myself...

All the best,

Theo