Ian McAllister

Urgent help needed - THE NOISE!!!

For a couple of weeks now I've been getting a lot of noise from both guitar and mic. I first noticed it when I posted 'Christians and Lions'. It seems to be getting worse.

I'm using guitar into Line6 Toneport KB37, and the noise is apparent on headphones as well as speakers.

The urgency is due to the fact that my colleague, John, and me are recording backing tracks for our Christmas performance at school next week, and this is ruining it.

On the Mp3 you can hear what happens on a normally clear setting, and then on my default 'widdly' tone, listen at 1.05 when I turn off the gate.

Can anyone shed any light on how to solve this?

Ian:brickwall:

noise.mp3

Man that sounds a lot like environmental noise thru a bad ground

Can you try an experiment of telling the kb37 to go into line in mode then send a quiet tone from the kb37 main out to its line in and record it and see if its there (dont enable record monitoring or the feedback will throw you off)

try it also by setting the kb37 to di and mic in

rotate your guitar in all directions slowly and see if the noise changes

And it looks like you are far away, but if you feel like the drive or swim, you can borrow my kb37 for a bit

Ok, I thought I followed the first part; I hooked a cable from analog out to line in but that didn't seem to do anything, except when I applied a tone to Line In, when I got feedback.

I rotated the guitar but nothing changed.

I don't know how to set the KB37 to di and mic in.

Although I am a newbie, it's been a while since I felt like one!

thanks for the speedy reply. It does sound like an earthing, (ground) problem though.

Ian

It would be foolish of me to have 100% faith in the Chinese electrical system! Is there anything I can do to isolate the problem and is there anything that I can get to earth everything? I've often noticed a slight tingling when I touch my external drives. I say this as an afterthought, but now it seems glaringly obvious that there is something amiss!

Ian:oops:

might want to come to reaper chat, there may be some who can help...I would think that the guitar itself should be a good way to judge where the better grounding situations are, like touching a guitar cable to the strings or bridge and touching various places in the room (SAFE PLACES!) to find good spots to ground to.

Ive had to drive rods into the ground before, which in Arizona, the lightning capital of the world, can be nervewracking

Maybe look into a power conditioner, I used my Furman RP-8L with great results in my garage, until I too installed a grounding rod 8' into the earth. I still use it{the Furman} in my set-up as it cleans up a lot of electrical interference noise....just a thought!

Thanks Kenny. The problem isn't helped by my location. Buying something like that may be a problem.

Ian

Not sure I follow you Ian. mine was made in china...surely there must be something similar available there :dunno:

I went to the Province capital on Friday. A modern city only 7 hours away and was unable to find a modern music shop, or trousers to fit me, or anyone whose English was more than 'hello', or a taxi driver who could understand my very limited Chinese. I don't read Chinese, so the Internet is useless to me, my assistant takes an hour to realise she's being asked a question, and her English is good for a village in central China.

There was a time when all greaseproof paper in the world was made in China, in one town in fact, yet you'll hard pressed to find it in supermarkets.

China is not what you imagine.

I still love being here though!

:winkthumb: