Doug

Mic Test #2

Pretty well same as before except the mics weren't quite as closely spaced and I set them back a bit further - say 18" or so.

I won't keep everyone in suspense about which mic is which:

MT2-A = AKG C451B small diameter condenser

MT2-B = MXL Fox Dynamic - got it for free as a promo this is the first time I actually used it

MT2-C - AT4050 large diameter condenser

MT2-D - Maudio Pulsar small diameter condenser

MT2-A.mp3

MT2-B.mp3

MT2-C.mp3

MT2-D.mp3

Nice playing Doug, I really couldn't pick out any difference's this time, thru the monitor's or the headphones I'd be hard pressed to have to choose one over the other. Mean's I'll save some money when I decide to buy a condenser mic.....Thank's!

D has a slightly softer tone.

C seems to pick up bass better

B sounds crisp

A sounds tighter on the top end with a mellower tone.

Doug they all sound good overall. None losers no matter what the price. But D would not be my choice of the 4

I do like the A & B

I agree with Kenny and Eddie, all seemed real close. As to Eddie's assessment:

D does seem to be a little mellower

C better base pickup

I couldn't pick up a lot of differences between A and B, and yes they are all keepers.

This has been a couple of great threads Doug, thanks.

Yes, I was surprised by the cheap dynamic. I think it would sound much better if it were closer to the source - I think it would get a bass boost from proximity effect.

Next test will be comparing the same mics with different preamps - presonus firepod preamp, cheap maudio audio buddy preamp, and very good RNP preamp. I'll see if I can find time next weekend.

It's hard to pick any real difference Doug. I liked the A mic least - clearer maybe but I thought a bit harsher as well. I couldn't really pick a favourite from the other 3.

Thanks for a really interesting and useful couple of threads - as a result I've given up looking for an expensive mic and am looking for a decent guitar instead - altogether a better outcome as far as I'm concerned! :winkthumb: