RClary

Computer recording woes

I recently purchased a MXL 990 mic from ebay and I phoned the local music store about getting a preamp for it, but he said that a device called lightsnake would allow me to use the mic with the computer. The problem is that I can't seem to record anything. I have made sure that the mic was set as the default recording device, and the sound card for audio out, but still nothing. Either the mic is no good or I am still doing something wrong with the computers configuration. I am running XP Home SP3, and the sound card is a Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio. This is frustrating since I was hoping to record at least some better audio on the computer than is possible though the webcam's microphone. I should say that the webcam is currently not hooked up to the computer. Any help to get this thing working is greatly appreciated.

Hi RClary, I'm no expert nor reasonably close, nor have any personal experience with Lightsnake.

This is just my thoughts on where to begin...

First off, I've read where, to receive proper data transfer you must be using USB 2.0, not sure if using 1.0 would cause you not to hear anything though. Are the ends of the cable's glowing green? if so then that's supposed to mean your computer has recognised it and would lead one to believe that the trouble is indeed as you say{either your mic or setting's}. Do you have another mic available

for testing that as the culprit? Next thing, I would re-check your input device settings. Check the drop-down window to see if you have other sources available, might be something there that's never

showed before using the snake. To check that go....Control panel>sounds & audio devices>audio>sound recording...also may want to check for flags or conflicts by going...{right click on} my computer>properties>hardware device>universal serial bus controllers and also under sound video and game controllers on the same window..may lead to more clues...hope this helps somewhat.

Did you tell the guy what kind of mic you had?....

Your mic requires phantom power and the LightSnake does not provide phantom power. So the LightSnake will not work with your mic.

You'll have to take it back and get a preamp.

-tkr

Did you tell the guy what kind of mic you had?....

Your mic requires phantom power and the LightSnake does not provide phantom power. So the LightSnake will not work with your mic.

You'll have to take it back and get a preamp.

-tkr

I guess it was my fault, I didn't point out that this MXL 990 was a condenser mic. Anyway I got a phantom power supply and things are working now, thanks for the assistance.

RClary,

Glad you got everything worked out alright. Those were some great replies from Kenny and Tekker, examples of why this is the best site on the web.