bojangles182

what do i need to start? please any help is good!

Hi, i have been playing for awile now and i just want to get some music recorded but have no idea where to start. I wont to kit myself with a home studio but have absolutly no idea where to start, webcam mic and sound recorder wont cut it anymore :P

to start of with i have afew guitars amp and cable.

i want something on my computer where i can just plug in record and play with good audio quality.

proper noob here please help.

First let me welcome you to the forum Bojangles182...:yes:

"Tekker" our resident Guru of sort's, has a multitude of great lesson's and tutorials on just about any aspect of recording and studio questions one could desire...start here...

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/tekkers-lessons/12554-computer-recording-what-you-need-get-started/

and be sure to check out all of his lesson's in the Lesson's section, you'll be glad you did!

thanks for the link, will help alot, guess i need to find a decent program first then any sugestions?

well i have through ma sound card, 2mic,2in,2out and afew speaker sockets all 1/8 size, so i take it ill just need to get the jack converters and a real mic to get started.

i think thats right anyway.

Tekker    1

Hi bojangles and welcome to the forum! :clap:

There are a couple great choices depending on what your needs are. If you would like to be able to create backing tracks with drums, bass, and all kinds of instruments on the computer and then record your guitar along with it, then several members here sing high praises about Power Tracks ($50).

However, if you're in a band and want to record all of the instruments yourselves, or you play multiple instruments, or you just want to record yourself without needing to create backing tracks then I highly recommend Reaper (also $50). It has a fully functional demo version that never expires, so you can try it out before buying.

well i have through ma sound card, 2mic,2in,2out and afew speaker sockets all 1/8 size, so i take it ill just need to get the jack converters and a real mic to get started.

Yes, you will need the jack converters.

What are you going to be using the mic for? Do you sing? If so, what kind of mic did you have in mind?

-tkr

Thanks for the welcome :)

yeah i sing a little.

I just well ever since i started playing, i would just look up tabs for songs i liked and just started playing ent had no lessons or anything.

i just cover stuff, but i guess i should be learning how to make my own music :o

i have no idea what type of mic to look for :(

am playin stuff like, swing life away, time of your life, hey their delilah, coming home and some jack johnson stuff too.

Tekker    1
i have no idea what type of mic to look for :(

For vocals (and acoustic guitars), condenser mics such as the Studio Projects B1 are excellent! :)

How much are you looking to spend on all of your recording equipment?

-tkr

Thanks for the welcome knight46 :)

Tekker that mic looks pretty nice and i could go for sumin like that. probably overall looking to spend around the £400 mark that would include like stands, mic, cables. is their something on the market like a jack hub to stick like up to 4 1/4's up to the computer?

i could post some pics of what i am workin with so far if ya like.

am working with a Realtek high definition audio sound card at the min, worth upgrading or not?

Lcjones    8

am working with a Realtek high definition audio sound card at the min, worth upgrading or not?

Keep in mind that most, if not all, PC (or MAC) included sound cards are designed for listening from, not recording through. Most stock PC sounds cards, whether children of the motherboard, or PCI slot, are adequate for some level of recording but are not meant to be used as "studio recording" sound devices.

Having said that, your Realtek drivers should be fine as an entry level sound device.

LC

Tekker    1
is their something on the market like a jack hub to stick like up to 4 1/4's up to the computer?

Yes, there are audio interfaces that have 4 1/4" inputs, like the M-Audio Delta44 ($150).

However, the Studio Projects B1 requires phantom power, so if you go with that mic you'll also need a mic preamp that provides phantom power, like the Studio Projects VTB-1 ($120) or the Art Tube MP ($50).

Then all you'll need is the recording software and cables. I'm not sure what all this will convert to price wise, or how much you can get all of this for in your area, but hopefully it'll fall within your price range.

-tkr

Stratrat    0

Welcome to the forum, Bojangles!

+1 to what LCJones said about computer sound cards. Definitely humble devices when it comes to recording.

Given your stated budget, here are another couple suggestions for your consideration:

Line 6 Pod Studio UX-2 with POD Farm - $199.99 (the mic inputs already supply phantom power, so no additional preamp needed for condenser mics)

MXL 990 Condenser Mic - $69.99 (OK, not "pro studio" quality - but a more than decent mic for a home studio)

Add in a couple mic stands, cables and a decent set of headphones and you should still be under your budget.

As far as software goes, Reaper comes very highly recommended by Tekker and several other members here. Some have also had good results with Audacity - it's free, and very simple to use. Another freebie is Kristal Audio Engine - very powerful and full-featured, but more complex to use.