carol m

Which One to Choose?

6string    81
I'm going to assume you're joking 6 :laughingg: , but in case you aren't they are the ends of the strings I haven't got round to snipping off yet.

I wasn't joking, I've never seen them like that before.

Anybody else as naive as me?

carol m    64
I wasn't joking, I've never seen them like that before.

Anybody else as naive as me?

Probably not.....just kidding, I hadn't seen them like that before either - it's not a bad feature because they are soft and don't stick your eye out - very Christmas-y too.

Just for you I went and looked at the pack they came in - they are called Plectrum made by Thomastik-Infeld of Vienna - sounds posh doesn't it, but they were more or less standard price.

6string    81

I've seen coloured strings before but never just the ends, and safetly ends at that, I think this is just what Jessica needs so her mean ol'teacher won't cut them off on her.

carol m    64

That's a good idea, a few bells and whistles to go with the high-class cardboard, texta markings and metal nut. Maybe a bit of tinsel as well.

The ball ends of the strings are coloured diffenently for each size string, but all the strings have those soft and springy red ends, and the cat likes to play with them too.

carol m    64

For anyone thinking of spending big on a really nice guitar, when I was in the shop I asked Che (Hi Che!) if I could have a quick strum on a really expensive guitar, which I had never done before, to see what I was missing out on. He handed me a Gibson Eric Clapton Signature 000 guitar (carefully) with a $4999 price tag.

The good news is, that although it was very nice, the sound was not hugely different. That showed me that improving my playing skills will give me a much better improvement in 'sound' than spending a fortune on a better instrument.

I'm sure if you are a good musician/player it would make a difference, but for me at my level the difference was negligeable - admittedly it was only a quick strum, but it taught me a lot about buying a guitar, and saving my credit card from overload.

Noodler    1

Thoroughly bewitching guitar Carol...whoahahahaha! (just a joke: black guitar, black cat, cute by the way don't know how you managed to get a cat to stand still!)

Yeah bass strings come with those neds more than guitar strings.

That special nut lifts the strings up to a nice height for slide. How does it sound with the tone bar and that new nut. Has it got OK tone now?

carol m    64

Tone???? You expect a lot! It has a wooden body, 6 strings, tuning pegs and on board electrics! Do you mean does it change the tone with the metallic nut? It's hard to say, I have hardly played it since its upgrade (:laughingg: ) because I've been playing the new one, and also I can't really play slide but the nut works well. Easy to fit - the low E string tends to slip out of it's shallow groove, but by placing the metal nut carefully it sticks in place ok. You could always make the groove a bit deeper for that string, but you don't really need to. The heavy slide is worth it on its own.

I got the Kelly Joe Phelps slide DVD for Christmas, he plays a standard guitar in a lap steel style at least some of the time, so I'll experiment a bit with this high set-up and also see how it goes with a standard set-up, and if you are really lucky I might upload a sample - you have been warned! Don't wait up.........

By the way I didn't have to bribe the cat to stay still - she doesn't like to move around much, and is only happy when she's on someone's lap (and if she gets in the way that is a bonus for her). If there are no laps available, and the sun is out she likes to sun-bake on that table. She also likes sit on my keyboard, facing me so she blocks the screen and glare at me - (she printed 4 copies of something I didn't want last week), and to play with the red springy ends of the guitar strings - and again if that makes it inconvenient for me, that makes it even better for her!. She's such a princess.

Noodler    1
she doesn't like to move around much, and is only happy when she's on someone's lap

If all cats were like that, I'd get one tomorrow. Most I've known are really aloof...except when they're hungry, then they're your friend!

Go easy on yourself when starting slide and go for open G or something : D,G,D,G,B,D. Then anything played at the 3rd, 5th and 12th frets will sound good. Should be able to work out Bad To The Bone in seconds.

Merry Christmas! :)

carol m    64

Thanks for the tip. The DVD I was given is to learn tunes in DADF#AD but I'll try other tunings as well. I'll also be trying the drop D of Kirk's lessons on the other guitar which I'll play not lap steel style and with a finger slide. Are you going to get one of those metal nut and slide gizmos?

This cat is a Burmese, and usually they are of the lap loving temperament - but don't you worry, she can still be a total pain when you want to do something (other than provide her with a nice place to veg out). I would stick with a dog (or two) if I were you - as long as you have space for one.

Noodler    1

The tuning you've given there (open D) is great. Any open tuning will be easy on you when you start. The only reason I like open G is because I liked Crossroads the movie (Robert Johnson songs) and the Rolling Stones. But any open tuning is easier to play chords in that std or even drop D, at least to start with, becuase you don't have to lay the slide obliquely across the strings to make triads.

Does that metal nut make the guitar sound more metallic? That would be the selling point for me because I have a resonator that isn't as metallic as I would like.

Laying the guitar on my lap could be a good way to relax on the porch after work. So does it give the guitar a more metallic, sharper sound?

carol m    64

Here's a quick demo. Ignore whether I hit the right note or not - this is straight into the mac on-board mic with no effects at all. I think it is more metallic. It starts and ends on an open D which doesn't sound as metallic as with the slide, but I do think it makes a difference

Dobro sample for Noodler.mp3

Noodler    1

Yes, that sounds good, I'll pick one up. I think it'll improve my "Dobro" out of sight. You're going to be a natural at the slide thing.

Cheers,

Dave

carol m    64

The 'upgrade' continues.......there was a problem with capo-ing at the 3rd fret with the strings so high. So, this beast now has a capo on the tuner side of the nut to keep the 6th string down in its groove without slipping.

After some experimenting, I found that you need something under the strings to capo against, and I worked out that a bic ballpoint under the strings and a strong elastic band around each end and under the back of the neck works a lot better than a pencil stub. A nice bright yellow colour too (very fetching).

This guitar is getting more character by the hour! Maybe a pic tomorrow. :winkthumb:

carol m    64

Pics of the latest upgrade as forewarned. Notice how the cat wants to be the star with her judo moves, and both legs - she's such a show-off!

7794.attach

7795.attach

Noodler    1

That's so inventive and in the spirit of the original slide players in that way. Good thinking.

I was telling my wife about your cat and how cool it is, so she wants to get some dog called a Basenji. Apparently they lick themsleves clean like a cat!

Why did you want to capo the 3rd fret anyway? :dunno: