carol m

Which One to Choose?

Thanks for that info Noodler, that is really helpful. The guy with the guitars is out in Parramatta and isn't there on weekends, so I'm not sure when I'll get there. From what i have heard in reviews I was already thinking the Tanglewood had possibilities. No matter what it will be the sound and the feel that will count. Then as long as I can afford it, the price will be secondary.

I hope this to be my definitive good guitar, and don't want to have to settle for something which is only OK and leaves me still wanting a better one. If I don't find one that I like, I won't buy any, but I reckon with all those lefties to choose from, there must be one that will fit the bill.

I am a Martin player and love it but mine is the big HD28. The 000-15 looks interesting with mahogany sides and top. I haven't ever played one though. I an NOT a fan of the cut away electric's. It just doesn't seem right to take a could be 'timeless' Martin acoutics and cram in electronics that in 5 years will be dated and possibly broken. Just 'mic' it or add some non-intrusive fisherman style pickups.

Hi rwj, the Martin 000-15 on offer doesn't have cutaway or electronics. It's one of the ones I'll be listening to very carefully. Juat having a Martin would be worth a few dollars - does yours have a truss rod? Some of the reviews I've read said their action could be a bit high, and one had to solve that problem by shaving 'a few milllimetres' off the bridge.

I don't want to have a guitar where any action adjustment requires anything other than an Allan Key. You wouldn't be able to change your mind if you had permanently altered the bridge.

Noodler: how is your Crafter going? You probably didn't notice but our Member Damien plays a Crafter - I spotted it on one of his Youtube vids - I've been taking extra interest in who plays what lately!

Thanks for the tip DayNage, I think we now have 3 votes for a Tanglewood, 2 votes for a Maton and 2 for a Martin so far. I think there was a Seagull that got a vote too. I'll re-read this whole thread before going to see the guitars on offer. It'll be the sound that will be the decider, but a bit of research first never hurts. Thanks everyone.

All modern Martins have a adjustable neck rods. I think they started adding them in the 70's. I bought mine new so it had the adjustable neck. The action was a bit on the high side from the factory and I suspect Martin does this on purpose since most players are planning on hard strumming open chords and don't want fret buzz.

I had mine setup by a local guitar tech' and the action is now the same as my Strat. Most of the lowering of the action was done by taking the saddle down. The saddle was pretty tall and flat before the tech worked on it. The neck rod is for neck relief which he probably adjusted also to take a bit of relief out.

One other think I meant to mention in my first post. If you are going to do a side by side comparsion of a couple of guitar's you may want to request new strings on the guitars you will be comparing. The shop I bought my guitar did that for me. If you are seriously planning on buying one, they shouldn't have a problem with that.

Another comment on your concern about adjusting action.

For acoutics string height is primary adjusted by sanding down the saddle. Thats the white plastic or bone thinge on the bridge. You shouldn't be to worried about it since you can replace it easy enought. Lots of folks replace their orginal ones with nice bone saddles as soon as they get the guitar anyways.

You could have a your local repairman do it. Or you could buy a new one to sand on yourself. That way, worse case you throw the replacement one away and put the original one back one if you make a real mess of it.

Robert

Excellent info Robert. That is really useful - I wouldn't want to reject one I liked because of something that isn't true. Forewarned is forearmed - do you have that saying in the States?

I've been phoning around the guitar stores in Sydney today and I found one selling a lefty Tanglewood TW 45 NS with cedar top, cutaway and electronics, not a dreadnaught, nice snowflake inlays, winner of the 'Under $1000 guitar shoot-out' last year for....$949 (rrp $1199) and maybe a better deal possible as well. The other (out of town) guy with all the second hand lefties is selling one of these for $750 second hand.

I went to the website of the store and found this:

Another year gone, and what have you done?

You’ve worked hard all year, worried about the job, winced at the mortgage,

Dumped the shares, watched the super turn to regular,

Checked the family, sorted your friends……

The sky has fallen,

The world is dying,

Some people are so unkind and you feel like a fool.

Why worry?

IF YOU GOTTA GO,

DO IT IN STYLE,,,, WITH A GOOD GUITAR!

Yes friends, it’s the perfect time for some of that good ole fashioned guitar therapy!

IHideaway with your number one guitar, think it through, work it out, and don’t let them mess with your dream, it’s yours, they can’t take that.

WARNING!

SALES PITCH ……!

Take time out to bond with your guitar again.

We got lots of parts for rebirthing your ole faithful if she’s tired and jaded.

Allparts, Callaham, Lollar, Tone Pros, Q Parts, quality straps, pro cables, guitar tool kits, strings, picks, cleaners and polishes, gig bags, guitar cases,….

New amp anyone?

Guitar with that sir?

Ever thought of Ukulele? ….. that’ll throw your mates!

The girls just looove those lullabies tho!

Lighten up these holidays with fun oldies and silly ditties

….the kids just won’t let you stop.

#$&*@ Guitars wishes a safe and easy going Christmas season for all our valued customers and their families and friends.

Aaaaah! I think that I'm falling......! I may have found my spiritual home. :yeahhh:

Thanks for the reminder about neck width, Eddie. That is actually very high on my accept/reject list. I really don't get on at all with a narrow neck. For me, the wider the better.

On further investigation of this store, listed as 'friends' are Keith Urban, and Peter Northcoat who plays at Kirk's old haunt The Bridge Hotel tomorrow, and next week is special guest at a Joe Satriani concert in Sydney. None of that will influence my decision of course (!) but I may take my phone with camera with me!

I looked up that Martin (000-15) and I do know it really well. My old guitar teacher uses one. It's a plain Jane in the looks department (all mahogany), but because it's not coated in thick lacquer like a lot of guitars, the soundboard can flex more.

It's not a guitar that will make you stop what you are doing and go, "that's the most beautiful guitar I've ever heard." It's professional and unoffensive/unobtrusive. The Tanglewood may sound a bit better and look prettier too. It'll be interesting to see what you choose when you've played some/ one.

My search (and my ambitions) are ever expanding! I haven't been to see/hear any yet, but in theory I'm favouring the Tanglewood (as above).......meantime...!!.........I've been messing around playing my nice right hander in a lap-steel style, so naturally a new inspiration struck:

I buy a nice left hander as planned- then I buy this Slide guitar starter kit - AXL bar & nut - free postage - eBay Other Guitar Accessories, Guitar Accessories, Instrument Accessories, Musical Instruments. (end time 15-Dec-08 04:00:06 AEDST)

Then I change my cheap righty (that I converted to lefty) back to a right hander, add the above, restring it with heavier strings and I have a lap-steel guitar as well. :yeahhh:

My God girl, do you got gas............. Your beginning to remind me of me.:laughingg: :laughingg: :laughingg: :laughingg:

My motto has always been ....... Screw it, just do it !

That idea is genius and a good price too. Probably give the guitar an extra bit of metallic tinnyness. Especially good is that no mod is required. A good heavy slide bar is worth over A$50 by itself. Might try a metallic nut on my reso. :winkthumb:

That idea is genius

I like your style Dave! :winkthumb:

Yes, do it! Get more twang for your buck. I'm definitely going to get that deal from ebay, it'll make a weird looking guitar, but my cheap right/left conversion looks pretty weird already - black body with homemade cardboard pick guard sticky taped round the other side of the sound-hole and black Texta-ed dot fretmarkers on the white plastic that runs down the side of the neck. It's a looker alright.

Eddie - you betcha! :devil2:

I'm biased for two reasons Carol:

1 - I play a Maton! It's an M225 which doesn't have the cutaway but is finished in 'satin' which gives it a really nice natural finish. It plays like a dream. They're really amazing guitars.

2 - I'm from Melbourne where they make them :)

I've only heard good things about the Tanglewoods and Seagulls as well but haven't ever played them.

Good luck, you'll know it when you play it i reckon.

Hi joshimax, yes I've heard nothing but good things about Matons. Unfortunately if you are looking for a left handed guitar, there is almost no choice in the stores. However...........I have news!

I've bought my new guitar!:yeahhh: It's a Tanglewood TW15 which is not what I was planning at all! I'll post a pic etc over in the Lets See Your Equipment forum but the decision was based on sound - not looks or even price.

I found a store with 2 mid range left handers, but when they handed me the Tanglewood TWB45NS with cedar top (which is what I thought I wanted), it looked small and cheap to me. And when I played it, it sounded fairly ordinary too. So then the salesman utters those fateful words, "How about this one?" .......

It was a Tanglewood TW15 series left hander and it looked nicer, and when I played it, it sounded good too. So I asked (a bit anxiously) 'How much?' it was only $200 more. It wasn't a difficult choice out of the 2, and my best chance at getting a decent left hander so I bought it.

I still think it's not as nice as my Takamine EG15SC which is wonderful but a right hander, but it'll do me for many years.........:laughingg:

Have you ever posted a pic of that beast?

Here is a picture of 'the beast' -I like the name, and take your pick which beast as well.

There is no model number - inside the guitar it says. e-Tunes Supplies (a quality manufacturer!). It was $80 new with electric pickup, cutaway and a killer tone (not). I changed the saddle around ok but couldn't budge the nut so i just cut a chunk out under the low E string with a kitchen knife so the fatter string actually fitted into the smaller groove of the right handed nut. Amazingly it had a truss rod so I could adjust the action as well.

Obviously the pick guard was on the wrong side so I sticky taped a bit of cardboard around the sound hole (also useful for making notes and for the grocery list). These pics show it 'fitted' with the metallic nut accessory I mentioned earlier in this thread. In case you wondered, the lap-steel type slide is really good and heavy (100 gm) and seems to work well (hard to know how well because of my complete newby-ness at this).

Drum roll please James........

7763.attach

7764.attach

7765.attach

I'm going to assume you're joking 6 :laughingg: , but in case you aren't they are the ends of the strings I haven't got round to snipping off yet.