Chelle E.

About The Neck, Not The Fretboard

The part of the neck that fits the cup of your chord hand between your thumb and first finger...that part is thin and comfortable on one of my guitars but on another of my guitars, it is thicker and it feels like I'm playing a very round "flagpole". Kinda cramps after a while.

What is that called and does it have to do with C shape neck or D shaped neck? Reading specs on guitars, I need to know what that roundness is called. I want the thin neck, (not fretboard width). Does someone understand my description?

It's a combination of the shape, C vs. D. vs. V, and also the thickness of the neck. Some players like a fatter neck.

BTW, you shouldn't be cupping the neck in your hand. Your thumb should be on the back of the neck, not wrapped around it. Yeah, I know - sometimes players wrap their thumb to fret the bass string, but that's an exception. In most cases it's better to not cup the neck and to keep your thumb on the back of the neck.

Thanks RB!

:) BTW, I don't have a death grip on the neck.:) I probably use a combo of different positions depending on the last chord or note played and where I'm going next, pretty free and easy and free moving elbow.

But the shapes...very informative; Never heard of V shape.

So is the D Shape neck thinner than C shape? (thinner is what I'm looking for).

Thanks,

Chelle

Just curious, what are the two guitars you have and how big are your hands?

I've got stubby fingers, and strangely enough, I actually like a fatter neck (U-shape, D) for chords. Tends to pull my thumb down to the right place automatically. Looking around though, fatter necks seem rare on modern guitars. Most seem to be C shapes. So you won't have trouble finding one that you like. They're also called "fast necks."

Another thing important for comfort is fretboard radius. I think curvier (smaller radius) is more comfortable. Medium jumbo frets can also make life easier if you like them.

Thank you for this interesting thread Chelle!I hope you found your answers :) ...

Thank you very much for the important lessons Keith and Bob!!

All the best,

Theo