Random Robot

A/C Problems

I've got a Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60 that sounds pretty good and used to work fine but it doesn't want to power on anymore. I have to either push and hold pressure on the power cord where it plugs into the amp which I could probably explain or I have to lean it forward at about a 30 degree angle which I can't explain. How hard is it to replace the power plug on the amp? I've tried different a/c cords so I know thats not the problem and I hate to junk a good sounding amp(although the celestrion and that extra peavy power amp would be a good start on a custom cab). Thanks

It`s a pretty simple job for somebody who knows what they are doing. Should be an easy and fairly cheap job for a tech to sort out - certainly not worth chucking the amp out for.

Don`t be tempted to poke around unless you understand the dangers of working with power supplies - the smoothing caps in there can give you a nasty (potentially fatal) belt even when the amp is switched off and unplugged.

Will

Thanks Will, I'll stay away from it and take it to the shop. I found some AC inputs online for $2-$3 but, Dying isn't on my short list of things to do right away. I did notice that the amp sounded better after I removed the back to take a look at the inner workings. I think I'll leave it with an open back.

the iec connection wasn't the problem so I'm not sure. It's almost like there is something in there that when the amp isn't at a certin angle it shuts off the power. I took the metal that the curcuit board and such is connected to, bent it at an angle and it works. Do you know of anything in there that would have to be level? like something that might have a liquid and after it drops below a certin point it shuts off. Kind of like a low oil sensor on alot of honda motors?