Noony

Encore E99

Noony    0

Hi guys,

Just a quick question about the Encore E99, which seems to be one of the most popular beginner packages around in the UK atm. I know that a lot of people say don't go for a beginner package as the guitar isn't as good, and harder to play and therefore easier to get down and stop playing.

Just wondering if people have any experience about this guitar? (I've seen 3 very positive reviews from top guitar magazines but can't find a shop near me that stocks them!)

Whether you reckon it would be a good purchase or should I consider alternatives? Any suggestions would be really welcome. I am really looking for a les paul style guitar. My budget isn't very high at all, also an Archer which is almost as expensive!!

Thanks a lot,

Adam

Sentry    0

The amps that come with starter packs are usually total crap, so the sound you get will be a lot worse than if you just buy the guitar and get a better amp. Note that "better" does not necessarily mean bigger nor does it necessarily mean a huge outlay of cash. A lot of people here have nice things to say about the Roland Micro Cube, which is neither large nor particularly expensive.

As to the guitar itself, if there's three glowing reviews of it in three separate mags, then it's probably a decent guitar. Get the guitar, get a decent amp, and you're good to go.

starsailor    20

Hi Noony, not a lot of info. but here's what this guitar sounds like assume you're talking about the Blaster Pack, read a couple of reviews, that weren't bad, what's you're top line budget wise, Members here might have some more suggestions for Les Paul type guitars.

YouTube - Encore P29 E99 BB Blaster guitar package Demonstration

karcey    42

G'day Noony,

Welcome to the forum.

+1 to Sentry's comments.

With a starter pack you only get what you pay for, and usually part of it doesn't suit. So when you've thrown that bit away you realise you've got less than you paid for.

The reason you throw stuff away is because it doesn't suit you. As Sentry says the amps aren't suitable for music. Actually, I'm not sure what they're suitable for, but they don't do much for anyone I know.

The other problem is that the guitar may not suit you either. There are so many variables in choosing a guitar that the chance of getting one you like, sight unseen, is remote. So while it may be a good guitar, you may tire of it very quickly. It could be too heavy, or light, the neck may be too thick, or thin, the sound may be tinny, or dull ... the list goes on and on.

My advice is to read through some of the posts on this section of the forum and take on board the advice which has been given so many times before. Then go to a music shop and handle as many guitars as you can, and get the feel of how they are all different. When you start to prefer the feel of some more than others you'll know you're on the right track. Don't rush the purchase; you'll have this guitar for a long time.

And don't forget to get a colour you like too!

Keep in touch

Karcey

Sentry    0

+1 to Karcey

A guy I know said that getting a guitar is like getting a suit: you have to be sure it fits. Well, buying a first guitar is like a cave-man buying a suit. Not only does he not know what size he needs, he doesn't even understand what the the sizes mean and when he gets one he might start off by sticking his arm in the trouser leg.

An experienced player who's handled a lot of guitars can order one online and know, from the brand, the body type, the scale length, the nut width, et cetera, to get one that will be a good choice for him. That player will still probably go to a store and try it out first anyway. A new guitarist should never just get a guitar that he or she thinks "looks good" without trying it out first.

Noony    0

Thanks for the help guys. Really good advice. And really common sense stuff. Exactly the same advice i'd give to anyone asking me about buying a bow (i'm an archer in my spare time)

Trouble i'm having is finding music shops around my way that actually stock a good range of beginner guitars to go out and try. The one down the road has a lot of Stagg guitars, but other shops are few and far between. I alternate between Canterbury (University) and Norwich (home) in the UK.

I think my absolute maximum is £200 especially as I don't have much time to really really practice hard (apparently i'm meant to be doing a degree or something?) so i'm expecting it to be a slow process, I used to play about 10 years ago, but stopped as I was too young and didn't really have an interest in music at the time. Now i've found Joe Bonamassa and the likes and i've desperately wanted to take it up, on and off, for a few years now. So I think now is the time to take it up again, and try not to get frustrated with myself because I used to be able to do this!

Thanks again for all your help,

Regards,

Adam

starsailor    20

+1 on the above advice, I can see your problem with Norwich and Canterbury, either middle high end or Staggs or Deans, which are nice guitars but didn't see any Les Paul copies in Musicland store I checked out and the prices weren't that low

The only other option if you want the encore which seems like a good package is to buy online, I usually say go to the store and try a few out if you're just starting out but that depends on the local stores having what you want at the right price, the guy in the Demo was doing it for Music King who sell online as John Hornby Skewes dealers, here's a link to their site, I think it's the best price for the E99 Pack, I can't give a personal recommendation as I haven't dealt with them but they seem ok.

I saw a few comments on youtube saying thanks for the demo mate now I'm off to Argos to get one cheaper, personally I'd steer clear of Argos don't have a lot of respect for guitars so they get thrown about a bit. Anyway here's the link I was a bit surprised at the lack of suitable starter packs or lower end guitars in the Canterbury and Norwich stores, disappointing:winkthumb:

Encore E99 Les Paul Style Electric Guitar Package

Noony    0

Thanks to all for the advice. Also thanks to Starsailor for giving it a go at looking for some shops near me. I do know a few experienced guitarists back home, so when term ends I might try and get hold of them to see what they say about it all.

Music King was the cheapest i've found too. I think i've managed to find a shortlist of les paul copies, Vintage V100 is one of my favourites atm (wine red with the gold hardware looks amazing imo), Westfield e4000, Encore E99 and the Stagg L320. Trouble with reviews on the internet is there's always going to be a few bad experiences which colour the rest of the reviews etc.

Just wondering if any UK users could point me in the direction of a good retail shop that I could try (even if it is a bit of a road trip). That would be really awesome, thanks!!

Hello Noony and welcome to the forum. You have some great advice from some pretty remarkable members. It is a beautiful journey, enjoy.

Thanks Knight, i've started this journey once before and didn't truly appreciate the beauty. Hopefully this time I will manage to get out of the car and admire the view!

Regards,

Adam

starsailor    20
Thanks to all for the advice. Also thanks to Starsailor for giving it a go at looking for some shops near me. I do know a few experienced guitarists back home, so when term ends I might try and get hold of them to see what they say about it all.

Music King was the cheapest i've found too. I think i've managed to find a shortlist of les paul copies, Vintage V100 is one of my favourites atm (wine red with the gold hardware looks amazing imo), Westfield e4000, Encore E99 and the Stagg L320. Trouble with reviews on the internet is there's always going to be a few bad experiences which colour the rest of the reviews etc.

Just wondering if any UK users could point me in the direction of a good retail shop that I could try (even if it is a bit of a road trip). That would be really awesome, thanks!!

Thanks Knight, i've started this journey once before and didn't truly appreciate the beauty. Hopefully this time I will manage to get out of the car and admire the view!

Regards,

Adam

Hi again Adam, Don't know if this helps but these guys have a serious guitar store, they stock Vintage and a lot of leading brands, also saw a Tanglewood Les Paul on the site under 200, not too sure how many guitars they have in your price range as they've only put a few on the site, reckon it would be a good day out some of your friends might know of them, I think a guitarist would enjoy getting let loose in there, they're in Watton, Thetford I think it's about 26 miles from Norwich:winkthumb:

Norfolk Guitar and Bass Centre - Largest Music Shop in East Anglia

Noony    0

Thank you very much! That is extremely useful. I shall certainly pop over there and see what they have. Also found a digital village guitar store in cambridge which seem to have most of the vintage guitars.

Thanks so much for the help and the friendly welcome!!

Regards,

Adam

starsailor    20
Thank you very much! That is extremely useful. I shall certainly pop over there and see what they have. Also found a digital village guitar store in cambridge which seem to have most of the vintage guitars.

Thanks so much for the help and the friendly welcome!!

Regards,

Adam

Good luck with your search Adam, keep us posted on how you get on, :winkthumb:

Noony    0

Sorry for slightly dredging up an old thread. Just wanted to update everyone. Finally got my guitar :) After weeks and weeks of waiting and looking. Thanks for all the advice that i got directly from this thread and also that has just been posted by everyone in general. Unbelievably useful!

Anyway i'm glad I took the advice and went into a shop to have a look (instead of ordering online) found this amazing looking strat copy. A.X.L badwater SRO, it's been heavily distressed, sort of a deep navy blue, with a crackle effect. Really looks like this guitar has through it all upside down and back to front. Plays really nice for the money too (from what I can tell). The guy gave me a stand for cheap, a bag for cheap, brand new strings (and fitted them and set the action) for free and a lead for free. Let me play the guitars for as long as I wanted. Can't ask for much more than that. Just can't wait until I can do it justice (and my fingers stop hurting :) )

Regards,

Adam