Random Robot

Help setting up pedal board

fly135    5

The manual on the amp says that the xlr input is @ microphone level while the 1/4 is line level.

The difference is that line level is a much higher input level than mic. So that pretty much explains what you are seeing (or hearing). A regular guitar amp would have a input that is closer to mic level and higher impedance. But since this is an acoustic amp, I'm guessing that the 1/4" input was targeted for use with acoustic preamps.

WRT the meter pegging on the Art, make sure you have phantom power turned off on the amp. I'm not sure what else might cause the problem.

eddiez152    129

Noodler, how many feet you got? That looks impressive.

This is a great thread for folks like me looking for ideas and answers. Maybe there should be a spot for this here somewhere or a Sticky.

SlickCat    1
Noodler, how many feet you got? That looks impressive.

This is a great thread for folks like me looking for ideas and answers. Maybe there should be a spot for this here somewhere or a Sticky.

Thats why they call pedal users"Tap Dancers" :lol:

Thanks fly now at least I know the difference. The amp doesn't have a Phantom power switch. What would it help if I tried to put a direct box between the pre and the amp? BTW my pedal board dosen't look anything like the one being passed around here :). How hard is it to post pics on here? I'm also going to modifiy a sound hole cover to fit around my sound hole pup.

Noodler    1

Those pedal boards aren't mine, but they are cool!

I have to use my pedals one at a time because I usually have to pack them up after use (because of the kids). I'm making my first pedal board at the moment, and it will be very basic at first (just a piece of MDF). I'll post a pic after the weekend. Should have about 10 effects at this stage: wah, compressor, OD, booster, Dist, phaser, delay (x2), reverb, noise gate. Not sure where noise gate goes. Can't wait to get the fuzz and wah happening together, or the compressor and phaser. Funkalicious. :smilinguitar:

Random,

but, it seems strange that if I run the 1/4 out of the pre to the amp's 1/4 I'm fine
Why are you worried about the other input? Sounds like you are just using the appropriate input. Did I miss something?

Can't wait to see the board. I watched your vid with the kids dancing, I bet they'd love to get a hold of your gear and go nuts. WRT the pre again, I'm running into the preamp to warm up the tone a little then run the 1/4 out thru my pedal board then into the 1/4 in on the amp. I'm trying to use the xlr out of the pre to run a continuous clean signal to the amp on the same channel of the amp that the 1/4 is in to give a little bit of a sparkle when using the OD or Chorus. The amp has 2 channels with 1 xlr and 1 1/4 per side giving it a total of 4 usable inputs. I use channel 1 for guitar and channel 2 I run vocals thru the xlr and an Ipod that I use for syncing thru the 1/4 channel. As soon as I touch the xlr from the pre to the xlr on the amp the needle goes all the to the right maxing out the gain. So it makes me think that the idea of phantom power on the amp may be effecting the pre. I hope this is enough info. Thanks again for your help

fly135    5

I took a look at the schematic for my Art preamp and it appears that phantom power is on pin 2 of the DIN connector. The phase switch in the normal (out) position feeds pin 2 to the meter. Try changing the phase switch to reverse (in) position and see if that makes a difference in the meter pegging.

However, that will cause the signals from your two feeds to be out of phase and might make it sound a lot different. You might need to just ignore the meter and hope the voltage doesn't burn it out.:(

Or better yet, just get a Fish & Chips EQ and warm up the sound with it.

Fly thats a good idea on the EQ, I don't really need the preamp part of it any more just trying to get the tube warmth. I've pressed every button and turned every knob, no go. But like you said maybe I'll try to find someone that will let me borrow an eq and try that route. I'll keep you posted for future reference.

fly135    5

You can't go wrong with the Fish & Chips. It's cheap, noise free, and you can always find a use for an EQ. It also has adjustable level and acts pretty much like a preamp.

Just an update, My compressor was always real noisey and I got to thinking about what some one posted earlier about guitar->gain->gain->gain->amp is too much gain and might be affecting the preamp. I took my preamp out of the chain and ran it through the fx loop, what a difference I'm able to warm the sound plus the tubepre is working on my vocals in channel 2 also. Then I split my signal coming out of my tuner and ran it into the seperate channels and got the sound I'm looking for. My only problem now is the when I split from the tuner is that it mutes mix 1 but not mix 2 (tuner has 1 in 2 outs)when I engage the tuner. So I might need a independant splitter.

Noodler    1

Awesome! Glad it's working out for you.

I tried to win a Fish and Chips on ebay, but didn't win it, so I bought a GE7 instead. Hope it's good.

Noodler    1

A lot of gear you can get in other countries we don't get. The Fish and Chips isn't stocked anywhere in my city, even by places that get Dano stuff in. So of the EQ pedals I could get, the GE7 was the cheapest. I've developed a relationship with a local store, so they look after me too. Put it this way, I'd love to own a Dano Pro or U2 reissue, but they cannot be found, either new or 2nd hand. My impression is someone in the US can go to GC and just buy one, right?

I've never used a Sonic Maximaiser, but it polarises people. Some say it's magic, others say it's good for nothing except as a doorstop. Let us know if you try one.

Stratrat    0

I've got the BBE Sonic Stomp. I absolutely love it for my Fender amps (Blues Jr. and Deluxe Reverb), it really does "take the blanket off" the sound - but I don't like it near as well in front of my Dr. Z....that amp already sounds great enough on its' own! :yes:

scotty_b    16
both look nice but isn't that a pretty good jump in cash, climbing to the ge7? anyone got one of these bbe sonic maximizers? wonder what that would do...

I have a BBE Sonic Stomp on my electric pedal board, which you should be able to see in the picture, and also have the BBE Acoustimax preamp with BBE on it for my acoustic effects board.

I think they are magic!

7685.attach

Noodler    1

Can I ask fly (or anyone else, I just noticed Scotty uses an ACDC), if you use wall warts to power your pedals, does it have a third (Earth) plug in the wall wart?

fly135    5

None of the wall warts have the 3rd earth. Noodler, I see from your sig that you got an AC15. Did you get a great deal or did the H&K just not do the job?

Noodler    1
None of the wall warts have the 3rd earth.

Oh no! My Micro Cube has heaps of ground hum. I bought it when my brother lived with us to have something to play quietly or with headphones and have hardly used it. I am sure it's not faulty, though. Will have to try different guitars with it. Can't remember what the power supply that came with it looks like, but I'll ask to look at one at the shop too, and see if that works better with it (once I find it!)

Noodler, I see from your sig that you got an AC15. Did you get a great deal or did the H&K just not do the job?

The H&K is a good amp, don't get me wrong, but I kept trying to turn it into a Vox. I bought a Brit Boost, an EQ pedal, tremolo pedal, and a reverb pedal...when the Vox would have had it all.

As you know I considered it very carefully before I bought, but I was put off by a sales assistant who said if I didn't like the Hotrod Deluxe (I hated it), I'd like the Vox even less. It was in a shop where they have to lug the amp to a different room to try it, so I didn't want to say, "let me be the judge of that!" He was soooo wrong. The Vox is the closest I am going to get to a Dr Z, and I am happy as Larry. Wife's making me wait until Christmas to play it.

The H&K is great for a faux Marshall sound and rock generally. I'm still going to keep it. It has a completely different palete of sounds. The Vox is more clear and chimey, more Brad Paisley sting too. The H & K sounds like a JCM 800 -or think the Darkness "Love is only a Feeling" and that's exactly what the H&K sounds like.

Hope all's well with you stratrat.

Stratrat    0
...Hope all's well with you stratrat.

Yep....just been real busy lately...not much free time to do anything!

Congrats on getting the AC15 - hope to hear some sound clips from it real soon!

Noodler    1

Micro cube is OK. Had to plug into a different wall outlet. My wife noticed the phone was acting funny too, but since I moved the Microcube it is fixed. That little thing actually gets some nice sounds. :yes:

I'll have to practice and perform a song for youtube. Only thing is that my camera selectively doesn't record voice, and clips badly when amps are turned up loud! :reallymad: It's the only mic I have.

If my attachment works, that's the only way I can record. Guitar -> GDEC -> Headphone out -> Computer Sound Card -> Windows Sound Recorder. I have downloaded Reaper and Audacity though, so maybe with some practice and better recording it'll sound better. Don't know if you can go amp line out -> sound card.

Stratrat    0

Yep, you can go line out to sound card....just don't ever go speaker out to sound card unless you like sparks, noise and the smell of burning electronics! :isaynothing: