thodwris

I need help choosing an audio interface...

Tekker    1
Hello Tekker...

Unfortunately I can't find them on the web,at least at the places where I usually look for gear to buy.

I checked out the Yorkville site for distributors in Greece and it looks like they have two.

LIOLIOS MUSIC SOUND & LIGHTS SA

and

Plictro Sa

Yorkville Sound: International Distributors

I am glad that you are vey happy with them!Post something for ust to listen,you made me curious :yes: !!...

Here's a recording we did live at one of my old churches several years ago. I took the tracks home and mixed it on my setup with the Yorkville monitors.

SoundClick artist: Tekker - page with MP3 music downloads

And here's a Christmas I started working on last Christmas but didn't get a chance to finish it. All the music is pretty much done, it just needs vocals now (but not mine, I don't sing :isaynothing:). On this one the drums, percussion, and bass guitar are real instruments and everything else was done on the keyboard.

SoundClick artist: Tekker - page with MP3 music downloads

-tkr

thodwris    1

Hello again Tekker...

Thank you very much for finding that distribuitor and even posting a link!I appreciate it a lot!Thank you!

As for the recordings,I am blown away!Fantastic job on them!As I listened I thought that it was the job done by a pro in a studio!Congratulations :clap::clap::clap: !!

Two comments on that.At first I must say that no matter the gear it takes years of experience to do a recording like yours.Besides that I think that it isn't only the monitors.I think that there are other equipment behind this job.I don't know if I am right but as a first thought I would say that your set up costs really expensive...

Secondly,have you taken a listen to my recordings?I am millions of miles away from you!Just listening to your songs made me feel embarassed about the cheap recordings that I have posted here :laughingg: !...

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to listen to your work and for being here for me until the end!Ireally appreciate your precious help since I have been in the forum.Be always well my friend(if I might say that :winkthumb: )!...

All the best,

Theo

Tekker    1
I think that there are other equipment behind this job.I don't know if I am right but as a first thought I would say that your set up costs really expensive...

I guess that depends on what you mean by "really expensive". Is it expensive compared to someone just getting into recording? Probably. But is it expensive compared to a pro studio or even a lot of the home studios I've seen on other recording forums? Not even close. LOL

The first recording was done at my old church. They had very nice instruments (like an $8,000 DW drumset... man I miss that drumset), great bass and guitar cabs. The mics were inexpensive. Shure SM57 for guitar amp and Shure Beta 87's for vocals. Their recording rig was Pro Tools LE and Digi001 recording interface along with something else (Alesis I think) to give 16 channels of recording. They now have an full blown $80,000 Pro Tools board for live mixing and recording.... *drools*

The second recording was done here, and this is a list of the stuff that I used: My audio interface (Aardvark Q10) can be found for under $300 on ebay now because the company has gone out of business (it cost me $600 used when I got it). The most expensive thing in my studio is the software I use for recording/mixing, which is Samplitude Professional ($1,000). Other than that my gear is very mid-range/low-end as far as recording equipment goes. My mic preamps (two Studio Projects VTB1) each cost a little over $100. My drum mics all together cost a little over $400 for seven of them (two small diaphragm condensers for overheads, four snare/tom mics, and one kick mic). I also used another large diaphragm condenser (AKG Vienna) that costs a little over $200 for the hihat and percussion. My bass guitar is a DeArmond 5-string that I got for $300 used from a friend and it has strings that haven't been changed since I got it 5 or so years ago. lol My drums are a Tama Rockstar kit ($400) with some old drums mixed in from my old set (Percussion Plus and Sunlite) and my cymbals are dirt cheap Sabians. The keyboard I have is a $200 M-Audio MIDI keyboard that doesn't have any onboard sounds, and the keyboard sounds that I used on my computer are free, Yellow Tools Independence LE (which came free with Samplitude and is basically the same thing as the Independence Free you can download on the Yellow Tools website) and CelloFan for the cello sound. Then last but not least, various noise makers like egg shakers and a really really nasty set of garage-sale bongos that I had to pitch shift to give it different tones since the two drums sounded almost identical when it was recorded. :D The only effects I used were Samplitude's effects and a couple freebies.

In the recording world, my setup is quite low-end. I've seen home studios where they have a single microphone worth more than my entire studio put together. A friend of my grandpa (who lives in California) has a home studio worth over $1.5 million. I'm still waiting for him to have a garage sale. ;)

Secondly,have you taken a listen to my recordings?I am millions of miles away from you!Just listening to your songs made me feel embarassed about the cheap recordings that I have posted here

I just listened to some of your recordings (including Alekos's Rapsody). Since you are only doing electric guitar, that is probably the hardest way to get a good sound (in terms of sound quality, not musically). Electric guitar by itself is difficult to get a really good sound with a digital effects box because your tone is completely dependent on the box and there's not a lot you can do about it unfortunately. You can disguise the tone more when you add other instruments in like drums (which really help a lot if you have good drum sounds), bass, synth, etc. But unless you have a nice amp it's almost impossible to get a great tone from a solo electric guitar.

The electric guitarist at our church two nights ago brought in an amp he borrowed and used that instead of plugging hist stomp boxes straight into the system and the difference was night and day! Going straight into the system from his clean sounds were flat and his distortions were grainy. But plugging his pedals into the amp and miking the amp.... Wow! :clap: Even when it was just him playing it sounded SOOOOO MUUUUUCH better.

So, not to give you another thing to add to your gear list but.... You may want to invest in a guitar amp at some point in the near future also.... I'm sorry, I'll stop spending your money now. :tomato:

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to listen to your work and for being here for me until the end!Ireally appreciate your precious help since I have been in the forum.Be always well my friend(if I might say that

You're very welcome. I've picked up a lot of knowledge from various recording forums and I'm glad I can pass it along. :)

-tkr

Tekker    1
Tekker,

Some fine work over there in Sound Click. :winkthumb:

Thanks Eddie! Glad you liked them. :)

PS. How are you getting along with that Raven West? Still diggin' it? :smilinguitar:

-tkr

eddiez152    129

Tekker,

Never gonna be as good as you young folks on it but I am gonna start getting more into it for some short licks.

How about you? Love to hear what it really sounds like. Get a tune together soon. Actually, I would like to hear some sounds and settings. So I can get a better handle on it.

Still happy with yours?

Tekker, I got a new toy, a Roland HandSonic 10 drum machine, it rocks, now I try some drums for real instead of loops or mix between them.

Tekker    1

Eddie,

Am I still happy with mine? ABSOLUTELY! :thumbup:

I'll try to get a recording up soon. The plugin I use for my distortion sounds is Magix AM Phibia and I'll also do something with some free effects like the Voxengo Boogex. When I upload the clips I'll post my settings and anything else I use (EQ and effects wise) will be free plugins.

-tkr

thodwris    1

Hello Tekker...

It was as I suspected.For the first recording that you did,let me tell you that I would have to sell my father's house in Greece to get that knid of gear :laughingg: !!As for the second recording,I don't think that about 3000 $ worth of gear is cheap!!...For me right now,what you describe is a wonderful story to sit,read it,enjoy getting all that knowledge into my head and share the excitement of the outcome with you.It would take me years to buy all that gear and to be honest I wouldn't want to do it!Not if I continue that way I do up to now.I would have to prove to myself that I became a great guitarist with great recording ideas and great knowledge of music to convince myself to go for gear like that.And in my opinion it would take decades to reach that level,IF I ever do.

Not in a million years would I have thought that miking an amp and recording would sound better than connecting the guitar to a good sound card.I guess I wll have to try that one out too and see what happens,I am very curious!I would have to buy a better amp though as I currently own a Line6 Spider III 30.It has a 12" speaker but it isn't a tube amp...Judging from the way you explain things I guess I would have to be a computer guru also!You use so many programs that require(I think)so many delicate adjustments that I would get lost in the way :laughingg: !!It is a little too much for me right now,maybe I should first start from something more simple and then decide what to do.Imagine this,even if I had the money to buy all the gear that you use I would have to bother you every day to tell me how to use it :blink: !!I am just a small player in a big league...

Only the desire to pass on knowledge,especially when it comes to an ignorant guy like me,means a lot.I really appreciate your efforts giving me some light on my dark path.Thank you once more Tekker!Be always well...

All the best,

Theo

thodwris    1
I got a new toy, a Roland HandSonic 10 drum machine, it rocks, now I try some drums for real instead of loops or mix between them.

Eddiez,I checked out that drum machine that you just got and I am more than impressed with what it has to offer!Here is a demo :

YouTube - Roland Handsonic

I guess that now you will have to learn how to play the drums also :yes: !There are a lot of things you can do with the HandSonic and I think that gear like that can really make the difference!!Have fun with it and the best of luck using it in your songs :winkthumb: !...

All the best,

Theo

eddiez152    129

Sean,

Looking forward to the recordings, as far as settings, equally as valuable. I am happy that you have helped make a great choice.

Theo, I did Payday tune with a mic on the amp. With chorus and touch and touch of wa I could get that slider sound.

Maddog54    0

Theo,

I was checking out the specs for your amp(the Spider III). It is set up somewhat like mine and I was talking to someone just last night about recording it through a computer. All it takes is running a cable from your headphone/direct out into your line in on the PC. He suggested I try that before I get into buying a mixer.

I'm not sure if that's what you're hoping to pull off, but might be worth a shot if it gives you what you need. I havent tried it yet since I'm a few feet short on a cable to actually reach without moving heaven and earth to get my amp plugged in where the computer is without blowing a breaker. But it makes sense to me, running it though the amp, you can use all the presets that are in there, plus your effects that run to the amp. I guess it would amount to taking the sound you get plugging in headphones and sending it instead to the soundcard on the computer. One thing I didn't see on your amp though is an XLR in if you wanted to use a microphone.

Like I said, I havent tried this yet, so I'm not sure on the results...anyone else ever done this?

check out this link to a support page for Line6:

Line 6 Support : How do you record direct into a computer?

Tekker    1
It was as I suspected.For the first recording that you did,let me tell you that I would have to sell my father's house in Greece to get that knid of gear :laughingg: !!As for the second recording,I don't think that about 3000 $ worth of gear is cheap!!

But considering I've been playing drums and guitar for 12 years and recording for 8 years, all of my stuff is pretty cheap when you break it down in how much it costs per year. :D I have several instruments, but all of the instruments I have are pretty inexpensive when you look at each one individually.... $400 for drumset is extremely cheap. But unless you play drums, then you don't really have to worry about getting a drumset and all that.

Basically, the point is you don't have to spend a lot of money to get decent results, you just have to work a little harder to get there.

You also don't need $1,000 worth of recording software (I got lucky being a college student I was able to get the academic discount of $300 back when Samplitude used to be $750 and just before it went up to $1,000. Otherwise I certainly wouldn't have been able to afford or justify $1,000 worth of software). I've used a lot of recording software (everything I can legally get my hands on) and if Samplitude were to disappear tomorrow, my next choice would be Reaper at only $50.

And for effects there are a LOT of really good freebie effects available. I've compiled a list of the ones I have used.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/tekkers-lessons/5735-freebie-list/

I use several of these all the time, such as:

AiXcoustic Creations: Electri-Q (posihfopit )

Kjaerhus Audio - Professional Audio Plug-ins

buzzroom

Voxengo

Here's another bunch I just saw posted on the Samplitude forum (which I need to add to my freebie list):

http://rekkerd.org/bootsy-plug-ins/

I haven't played with them very much yet, but everyone on the forum was going NUTS over them.

Not in a million years would I have thought that miking an amp and recording would sound better than connecting the guitar to a good sound card.

This of course depends on the amp, a $20 practice amp probably wouldn't sound better. I'd be willing to bet you could easily get a better sound from your Line6 amp, a Shure SM57 ($99) mic, and a decent audio interface

Judging from the way you explain things I guess I would have to be a computer guru also!You use so many programs that require(I think)so many delicate adjustments that I would get lost in the way

No, not really. I certainly wasn't a computer guru when I started out. After I got a track recorded I just started playing around with the effects. I had no idea what I was doing at first, but through playing that is how I learned... That's still how I learn. ;)

-tkr

thodwris    1
Theo,

I was checking out the specs for your amp(the Spider III). It is set up somewhat like mine and I was talking to someone just last night about recording it through a computer. All it takes is running a cable from your headphone/direct out into your line in on the PC. He suggested I try that before I get into buying a mixer.

I'm not sure if that's what you're hoping to pull off, but might be worth a shot if it gives you what you need. I havent tried it yet since I'm a few feet short on a cable to actually reach without moving heaven and earth to get my amp plugged in where the computer is without blowing a breaker. But it makes sense to me, running it though the amp, you can use all the presets that are in there, plus your effects that run to the amp. I guess it would amount to taking the sound you get plugging in headphones and sending it instead to the soundcard on the computer. One thing I didn't see on your amp though is an XLR in if you wanted to use a microphone.

Like I said, I havent tried this yet, so I'm not sure on the results...anyone else ever done this?

check out this link to a support page for Line6:

Line 6 Support : How do you record direct into a computer?

Hello friend!Where have you been?I haven't seen you around for quite a while!!...

Thank you for answering to the thread and your valuable contribution!Yes,you are right,I don't have an XLR on the amp.However,what you explain sounds very plausible and I think that could work.It is very interesting!I will keep this in mind!If you try something like that before I do,make sure to tell me how it went,please..

Be always well there!...

All the best,

Theo

Tekker    1

The headphone output is still the same as going direct. What you want by going through the amp is the sound of the amp and speakers.

One recording I did for a friend's band, their guitarist had a Crate tube amp with a direct output. I miked the amp and I also ran the direct output and recorded both ways (so I would have more options during mixing). On every section that had distortion, the direct track got trashed because it sounded grainy and awful. Just having it mixed in ruined the sound of the miked tracks, so it got dumped. The clean sounded good with the direct and I kept it for the clean sections, but distortion.... no way!

-tkr

thodwris    1

Hello again Tekker...

Yes,you speak the truth.In many years if someone has indeed a great passion about music can collect a lot of beautiful "toys" and do some great job with recordings!I hope I follow your lead on this one,but I want to keep as my primary goal to learn how to play the guitar.I should never forget that...I think that in a way,good recording(I mean really good) results are a matter of experience and gear both.None of them can be without the other.There is a thin line there but no exagerations.The first thing that I always want to keep in mind,is not the gear I have,but if I am worthy of that gear.For example,I got the Ibanez and I think that it will take years of hard work to say someday that I deserv to play on a 800-900 euro guitar.For now,it just isn't for me!!...As for the drumset,I can't play the drums,but someday I would want to experience making my own drum lines in one of my songs.I find it really interesting...

For recording software I just have Reaper.It is not only a good program(if you also say so then it is ok :winkthumb: )but to be honest I don't use it yet as it's full potential.As I said I have a lot to learn,before I start thinking of upgrading the program that I use now :) ...

Those links on the effects that you posted are very interesting!Thank you for going into so much trouble posting the links.But yet again you see,there comes experience in the way.I can't say that I could use those effects(although I haven't tried to download them)as you do.I am not that good at computers and I would need guidance(or a great deal of free time in my hands :) ) to be able to do that.About a month ago I downloaded a free program for drums and I didn't manage to use it correctly :crying2: .So for now,I could easily say that the effects are out of my lead here.I think I need to be patient and take it step by step and I have a feeling that you would agree with me :) ...

I definitely have to try and record my electric through a good mic!Only the hope that I can do better than I do now makes me feel great :yeahhh: !!Thank you for offering that to me Tekker!!

Experimenting is the way I know all about computers until now.I hope I have a good perspective of things as you have and learn many things about music in general.The desire is great and I hope that slowly but steadily to get where I want...

Thank you once more Tekker for your time and your very useful posts.You have been a great professor for me!I reall appreciate your efforts!Thanks again and be always well...

All the best,

Theo

Maddog54    0

Got snowed in today, so here's what I did. I took my amp, hooked it into the computer through the direct out with RCA cables into a splitter, connected to the line in, and plugged the guitar into the amp.

Here are two short riffs from house of the rising sun...(and nevermind the attempt at a solo on the version with the drive cranked up...LOL...I just wanted to see how it sounded, its not even part of the song)

housetest1.mp3

housetest2.mp3

thodwris    1

Hello Maddog...

Thank you for going through all this trouble to record and post the recordings...Both of them are very good,I like the sound very much!I think it works...Be alwyays well...

All the best,

Theo

Maddog54    0

not a problem there Theo, I wondered myself how it would sound(could sound better probably if somebody else was playing it LOL).

I'm interested what Tekker thinks, if its still the same sound as the one he was talking about. One thing I did notice is the Direct Outs on this amp says POD 2.0 Quality Direct Out. I'm not exactly sure if or how that is different from what he was using.

Either way, I thought it sounded pretty good other than sloppy playing LOL.

Maddog54    0

I can definitely tell the difference....I'm just wondering if mine sounded "right" other than the playing of course. I'll have to read up on how to mic an amp and give that a shot for comparison. Thanks for putting that up there Tkr

thodwris    1

Maddog,

I think that the playing is the last thing that you should worry about(at least for now that you are a begninner).I wish you the best luck sorting out your recording issue :winkthumb: !Be always well...

Wow!!That was amazing Tekker!!That grainy sound that you are talking about is the best I can get plugging the guitar to the sound card of my PC!!With this clip of yours I can now see the difference before my eyes!Man,the difference in clarity is sooo huge!!Now I can see with what I have been recording up to now :isaynothing::tomato: !!Thank you very much for that clip Tekker,your help is really major!I appreciate it!!You just made me fall in love all over again with a good recording of an electric guitar with distorsion :yeahhh: !Nice riff there by the way,I enjoyed it much...Be always well...

All the best,

Theo

Tekker    1
I can definitely tell the difference....I'm just wondering if mine sounded "right" other than the playing of course.

Your sound wasn't as grainy as the direct out on the amp that I used, but I would still try miking the amp if you can get a good mic like the SM57.

Without spending any money, you could also try turning the gain down some on your amp. Using less distortion should help clear the sound up.

-tkr

Maddog54    0

Thanks Tekker. I'm gonna mess around here when time permits and maybe get another up here without all that distortion. It was on one of the presets with a lot of effects, but I wanted to go a little overkill on it to see how it was. I don't really have a way to mic the amp.......yet.

I did however just read about an upgrade for the SpiderJam that uses an SD card...so I can record into the amp itself, then transfer that file for upload. Not sure how that will sound, as I dont have an SD card that size and havent updated the firmware for it yet.