SportyGRocks

Looking for that perfect fit...

:helpsmili I'm a newcomer STILL looking for that guitar. Every time I post one of these I get more info. I have no "style" of playing yet but I have a budget.

I think around $200 for an acoustic or acoustic-electric guitar.

I can't do plain Electric, it just isn't what I'd want to do.

The amplifier is the reason why I wouldn't do it.

I've been looking and Epiphone,Ibanez,and Squier are good for my budget I think. I've heard starter packs aren't good and that is why I've raised my budget by $50.:smilinguitar:

The $50 will be used to buy a tuner,books, a new set of picks, etc.

So $200 ~*Maybe a bit higher*~ Is what i'm looking for, christmas sales are coming up so I'm thinking i may get a deal there.

I've looked for a while now and i've come up with a few guitars i need to debate against.

I used to think that value/starter packs were good but they aren't. I usually look for Steel/Copper string because nylon string is not what i started off with.

I should have a 3/4 because that is what my Dean Playmate is right now but there aren't that many of those so i'm fine with a full size.

Most brands I look for in my price range are electric.

Martin might be a good for acoustic but no one I know has used them. If there are any brands/guitars you think are good for me please tell.

Links for guitars I think are good:

Ibanez SGT120NT SAGE SERIES Acoustic Guitar

Ibanez SGT120NT SAGE SERIES Acoustic Guitar and more 6 String Acoustic Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

Yamaha F335 Acoustic Guitar

Yamaha F335 Acoustic Guitar and more 6 String Acoustic Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

Epiphone DR-200S Acoustic Guitar

Epiphone DR-200S Acoustic Guitar and more 6 String Acoustic Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

Fender GC23S Grand Concert Acoustic Guitar

Fender GC23S Grand Concert Acoustic Guitar and more 6 String Acoustic Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

For other equipment I have very small picks ~*0.38 mm*~ which I made a mistake doing so. I am not sure of the size I should get, and the brand. Picks aren't that big of a deal to me, but after reading I heard that they can impact your guitar by alot of things.

Dunlop is said to be a great company with a cheap price. I think pics should have 6-12 for up to $3. Clayton is pretty good too for what I know. At the moment I have my Clayton picks and they haven't bended even though they have such a small width. My friends have just gotten cheap ones and thin ones and they've bended quickly. So those are my top 2 brands I'd be looking for.

I'm pretty much looking for Standard.

I'm not sure what size to get so and help with that?

Here are some links of some good picks i've found:

Clayton Black Jazz Standard Guitar Picks

A bit expensive but the one I have right now.

Clayton Black Jazz Standard Guitar Picks and more Picks and Pick Holders at GuitarCenter.com.

Fender 351 Premium Celluloid Guitar Picks

Fender 351 Premium Celluloid Guitar Picks and more Picks and Pick Holders at GuitarCenter.com.

Pick Holder:

I dunno. I don't lose my picks, But this would be convenient for getting my picks.

Link:

Dunlop Scotty Pick Holder

Dunlop Scotty Pick Holder and more Picks and Pick Holders at GuitarCenter.com.

Cases/Gigbags:

I at the moment have the case that the guitar came with. I'm not a biggy on the case ~*even less than I am for picks*~ So i'm looking for something Under $25.

Link for my choices:

Guitar Cases and Gig Bags, Guitar Cases and more from Musicians Gear

Tuner:

I'm a biggy for tuners. I've been using this website's online tuner. But I think they should be under $25. I have no idea what good brands for tuners are so I look at the features. I think the under $25 ones are the ones that wouldn't do it for you, I've heard of that $40 one that actually just does it!

Link for tuner I think is good:

Korg GA-30 Guitar/Bass Tuner

Korg GA-30 Guitar/Bass Tuner and more Tuners and Metronomes at GuitarCenter.com.

Straps:

This is an optional thing for me, if my guitar has a strap button and if I have leftover money. So I have no links for this.

Anything else right now I'm out of time for writing this for around 20 minutes. I'll post anything else later.

In the $200 price range, the best you can do is to find a guitar that functions properly. If the neck is straight and the action is good (strings not too high) it will be OK to learn on. I might be a bit of a guitar snob, but $200 is pretty low price range.

Hi SportyGRocks, You seem to have a pretty strong idea of where you're going, there are a lot of Acoustics in that price range Aria, Tanglewood, Washburn for example also make guitars in that price range, Martin's are one of the best guitar makes recommend them to anybody but I don't think they're in that price range, the ones you've picked out have good reviews so you could run with them, what you need to do is thin the crowd out, I noticed all the links are for Guitar Center so the ideal thing to do if possible would be to go down to Guitar Center with your list and try all those guitars out to see which one your comfortable with and while you're there try out others you like the look of even ones slightly over your budget as they will drop in price in the sales, you seem to have a clear idea of what you want so you just need to make the final decision and bite the bullet agree about the sales coming up so worth hanging back for a while don't know how guitar Center works but if they're like our stores they'll be some sweet deals in the New Year sales so you should get a bargain there. Good luck with your search:winkthumb:

Other possibilities might be to checkout some used instruments at the store that they may have under consignment. It seems you have been pretty thorough on your list of needs. Chances are you might be able to go to the store and let them know how much you want to spend and let them try to fill the order with your budget. You never know.

Good luck!

I just went into your profile, and I see that you are only 11 years old. Now I understand your excitement to this whole write up in your thread. and apparently you would like to move up from the 3/4 to a larger guitar at this point is that correct?

I see that you have also picked out 4 guitars. Is that from the online store catalog, or have you actually played any of the ones you chose in your description. It is important to try out your chosen model. Then again you might just change your mind when you get to the store to something completely different.

Hi SportyGRocks, You seem to have a pretty strong idea of where you're going, there are a lot of Acoustics in that price range Aria, Tanglewood, Washburn for example also make guitars in that price range, Martin's are one of the best guitar makes recommend them to anybody but I don't think they're in that price range, the ones you've picked out have good reviews so you could run with them, what you need to do is thin the crowd out, I noticed all the links are for Guitar Center so the ideal thing to do if possible would be to go down to Guitar Center with your list and try all those guitars out to see which one your comfortable with and while you're there try out others you like the look of even ones slightly over your budget as they will drop in price in the sales, you seem to have a clear idea of what you want so you just need to make the final decision and bite the bullet agree about the sales coming up so worth hanging back for a while don't know how guitar Center works but if they're like our stores they'll be some sweet deals in the New Year sales so you should get a bargain there. Good luck with your search:winkthumb:[/quote

Thanks for the info! All of the equipment I've been looking for ~*Except for the "Optional" ones*~ has been tested in my nearest Guitar Center. I've never really heard of more "Acoustic" brands except for Martin. So I'll check those brands out and see what I like. I do have a clear pathway of what I want to choose but there aren't that many guitar experts in my area. And I don't think you barely ever can trust an employee. I just need a few 2nd Opinions.:dunno:

Other possibilities might be to checkout some used instruments at the store that they may have under consignment. It seems you have been pretty thorough on your list of needs. Chances are you might be able to go to the store and let them know how much you want to spend and let them try to fill the order with your budget. You never know.

Good luck!

I just went into your profile, and I see that you are only 11 years old. Now I understand your excitement to this whole write up in your thread. and apparently you would like to move up from the 3/4 to a larger guitar at this point is that correct?

I see that you have also picked out 4 guitars. Is that from the online store catalog, or have you actually played any of the ones you chose in your description. It is important to try out your chosen model. Then again you might just change your mind when you get to the store to something completely different.

Thank you for your response. Yes I have tested all of these out in my nearest Guitar Center. I actually tested about 8 that were good but I also compared the online reviews and features. So I can to about four guitars. Yes, I am only 11 years old. I started at the age of 10 and my 3/4 guitar was a perfect size for me. It's been around 1 1/2 years with that guitar and It's getting a bit small for me. The full sizes are just a bit big for me and I can play pretty good on them. I needed a 2nd opinion. So so far, i'm getting pretty nice responses.

Thanks for the info! All of the equipment I've been looking for ~*Except for the "Optional" ones*~ has been tested in my nearest Guitar Center. I've never really heard of more "Acoustic" brands except for Martin. So I'll check those brands out and see what I like. I do have a clear pathway of what I want to choose but there aren't that many guitar experts in my area. And I don't think you barely ever can trust an employee. I just need a few 2nd Opinions.:dunno:

Glad to be of some help, you have a great outlook on life and a clear idea of what you want which is cool, look forward to hearing recordings from you in the future, have fun:winkthumb:

All The Best

Chris

As Rockerbob pointed out, its a bit difficult at that price range to find what you are really looking for. You have tested 8 and you can see that it is still difficult to make a decision. Yes you can read the reviews on them to help you with your choices, good idea.

Let us know what you finally break it down to. In the end, you feel it the hands and hear it in the ears. Then you will know. White your at the store checkout some higher level guitars say the 300-400 range and see if you can tell the difference. You don't have to buy them trying is free. I might just improve you judgments.

As Rockerbob pointed out, its a bit difficult at that price range to find what you are really looking for. You have tested 8 and you can see that it is still difficult to make a decision. Yes you can read the reviews on them to help you with your choices, good idea.

Let us know what you finally break it down to. In the end, you feel it the hands and hear it in the ears. Then you will know. White your at the store checkout some higher level guitars say the 300-400 range and see if you can tell the difference. You don't have to buy them trying is free. I might just improve you judgments.

I'll try that. So far i've found the $200-250 pretty good. I did try a few $350 ones and it seemed kind of advanced. They did have outstanding sounds though. It seemed harder to play. And I bet for the next few years I'll still have this feeling. I tried a few $150 ones and they seemed very simple to use..but they didn't have good sound. I am looking for something that's right in the middle. It might be a bit challeging to use, and it might not have excellent sound, but it has to be in the middle.. The one's I've found so far do that. But this may take a few weeks for me to decide.

One thing you will find at most of those stores, is that the guitars are seldom in tune when you pick them up, and usually have old or cheap strings on them. So when you pickup that guitar and its sounds good now, it will definitely sound better with new strings on it. The other thing you will need to do is begin with extra light strings on your instrument. I mean (EXTRA LIGHTS) for acoustic guitar until you can develop your finger strength. Also check out the nut width, equally important.

One thing you will find at most of those stores, is that the guitars are seldom in tune when you pick them up, and usually have old or cheap strings on them. So when you pickup that guitar and its sounds good now, it will definitely sound better with new strings on it. The other thing you will need to do is begin with extra light strings on your instrument. I mean (EXTRA LIGHTS) for acoustic guitar until you can develop your finger strength. Also check out the nut width, equally important.

On my old guitar I have light strings ~*Not Extra just plain light*~ I guess I would do better with extra light strings. I've just found another cool guitar after looking for a while

~*I went to a small store then compared it to the Musicians Friend Website*~

Washburn DK20CET Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Buy Washburn DK20CET Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar at Musician's Friend

~*Thanks Chris for telling about this company*~

This sounded okay and as the reviews say it does have a bit of a buzzing at the higher strings.

This guitar seems to fit my needs and I'd also have the $50 to buy the accesories ~* I think the accessories they include are kind of cheap*~

The AMP is one of the only issues. At first I was thinking of getting a cable and just putting it into my comp, I still get sound and I can record that way. And then until I get enough allowance for an amp ~*And I mean one that can last long with good sound*~ I would go that way.

But how does Nut Width have to do with it? And what kind of width would I be looking for?

Now there ya go ! Thats a nice guitar. The DK20

If you have a store near you, then try out the Extra Light D Addario

80/20 bronz. Or Martins as well.

Sporty, I wanted to go off-topic for just a second to tell you that you write very well for your age. I see so many kids who write like they're either text messaging or spraying hip-hop graffitti, completely murdering the English language (spelling, grammar, etc.), and you do none of those....your posts make sense and are very readable. Good job!

With that said, another option for you to look at would be the Takamine "Jasmine" guitars. I have a Jasmine S35 which I bought as a "beater" acoustic (one that I can take camping, etc.), and overall it's a very decent guitar. The top and body are all laminate, so it certainly won't match up tone-wise against a high-end Taylor, Martin, Larrivee, etc. - but it still sounds like a guitar, and nobody who's heard me play it has ever said "Eeeeewwww....that sounds like a laminate guitar!". :yes:

Something else to consider would be to check the guitar shops (and pawn shops, if there are any near you) for used guitars. If you buy used, you can often find a deal on a guitar which would be out of your price range if purchased new.

Regarding tuners, the Korg you referenced in your original post will do the job. I've had a CA-30 (almost identical to the GA-30) for a couple of years now and it's holding up fine.

Jumping into this a little late, but I would like to throw the Yamaha's into the mix. FG 700 series is solid tops and pretty good tone and sound. And are right in the price range. It is good to play as many as possible to find the one that "fits".

+1 to Chris's remarks on your postings. Very well done.

Sporty, I wanted to go off-topic for just a second to tell you that you write very well for your age. I see so many kids who write like they're either text messaging or spraying hip-hop graffitti, completely murdering the English language (spelling, grammar, etc.), and you do none of those....your posts make sense and are very readable. Good job!

With that said, another option for you to look at would be the Takamine "Jasmine" guitars. I have a Jasmine S35 which I bought as a "beater" acoustic (one that I can take camping, etc.), and overall it's a very decent guitar. The top and body are all laminate, so it certainly won't match up tone-wise against a high-end Taylor, Martin, Larrivee, etc. - but it still sounds like a guitar, and nobody who's heard me play it has ever said "Eeeeewwww....that sounds like a laminate guitar!". :yes:

Something else to consider would be to check the guitar shops (and pawn shops, if there are any near you) for used guitars. If you buy used, you can often find a deal on a guitar which would be out of your price range if purchased new.

Regarding tuners, the Korg you referenced in your original post will do the job. I've had a CA-30 (almost identical to the GA-30) for a couple of years now and it's holding up fine.

Thanks! I've put that into mind.

~*Off-Topic*~

I will be camping until Friday so I'm very sorry if I can not respond within 24 hours. It's a field trip.

Yes, I've now decided on my guitar and most of the accesories except for strings.

I have no idea about anything about strings. So I have no links. If there's a certain brand you think is good I'd really like to know that.

Recording:

I've got my first actual song I've made up! I actually have that!I'm putting in notes and stuff but with my new guitar I think i need better sound than my old run-down $20 Radio Shack headsets.

I need a cable and a mic! I know nothing about that either, But I think it will be more helpful with the built in pre-amp on the Washburn DK20.

Thanks for your help. If you could have links that would be really helpful. But a description or the brand is fine.

+1 on D'Addario strings. Elixir Nanowebs are very nice also, but more expensive.

As far as the mic goes - are you going to plug your guitar directly in to record it, or are you going to mic it? If you're going to plug straight in, all you need is a guitar cable....buy a decent one like Planet Waves or Mogami - it will last you for a while, and won't break the bank. If you decide to get a mic, check out the "Home Studio" sub-forum a little further down the board. Lots of discussion about mics in there, with a currently active thread containing some very good advice. You may also want to read Tekker's excellent tutorials here (what you need to get started) and here (how to choose and use microphones).

I am glad to see that you made your decison on what guitar to buy.For strings take a look at Earnie Ball,I just love them.D'Addario are very good also.Good luck picking the strings also.After you get your new guitar,make sure to post some pictures for us to see :winkthumb: ...

The best of luck,

Theo

+1 on D'Addario strings. Elixir Nanowebs are very nice also, but more expensive.

As far as the mic goes - are you going to plug your guitar directly in to record it, or are you going to mic it? If you're going to plug straight in, all you need is a guitar cable....buy a decent one like Planet Waves or Mogami - it will last you for a while, and won't break the bank. If you decide to get a mic, check out the "Home Studio" sub-forum a little further down the board. Lots of discussion about mics in there, with a currently active thread containing some very good advice. You may also want to read Tekker's excellent tutorials here (what you need to get started) and here (how to choose and use microphones).

I am planning to use a mic not a cable. I was thinking of a USB mic, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the info!

I am glad to see that you made your decison on what guitar to buy.For strings take a look at Earnie Ball,I just love them.D'Addario are very good also.Good luck picking the strings also.After you get your new guitar,make sure to post some pictures for us to see :winkthumb: ...

The best of luck,

Theo

Thank you for the info! I'll look in on that.

The best of luck,

Theo

Hi Theo,

Couldnt help but notice your post. I love Ernie Ball strings for my electric. I have used the nickel slinkys for years!

On my Acoustic and Resonator I use D'Addario's.

:thumbup1::beer: