Craka

Stratocaster and Tele difference

Noodler    1

I've been thinking about this thread. Some observations: the covers on Tele and strat pickups are different. The mounting screws are also in different places, so in that way swapping them may be difficult. eg the screw holes for a strat bridge pickup are in completely the wrong place for a Tele, so you can't just swap them as-is.

The covers are different too. I don't think a Tele bridge PUP would fit in a strat pickup cover.

Also, the lipstick coils, which fit either guitar are made separately ie there is a Tele model and a Strat model.

Does anyone know the real nitty gritty though, about the original question in terms of pole height, magnet stagger, gausing, impedence, etc? Or is it mailnly just a fitting issue?

Here is something which you probably know but it surprised me. I have just fitted seven way switch to a strat. If you pull up the volume knob when playing rythm it brings in the bridge pick up with the neck pick up. Tried to upload the sheet on it but cant. It says it makes it into a Tele noise. Havent played one so cant say but I am using it with a Lace set, Chrome dome, and the noise it makes is certainly something else. It is wonderful. Not expensive and easy to install.

Noodler    1

Michael, I didn't know that. The middle position on a Tele is cool, so it would be handy to have.

I am about to mod my Tele which has 3 pickups and was thinking on an S1 switch, but what you've mentioned there is what I want - to be able to use neck and bridge together on a 3 pup guitar. Thanks for the tip matey!

Hello Noodler. I tried again to upload the sheet on this, but I think I need help. However, the dif is as follows. With vol knob depressed, its as usual. With vol knob pulled up its first three positions as usual but pos 4 brings in all pick ups, pos 5. the bridge and neck. The rest of it is wiring info which is pretty self explanatory anyway. It really does do things for the noise. Glad to be of help to you.

Best wishes

Mike

si16    10
Hello Noodler. I tried again to upload the sheet on this, but I think I need help. However, the dif is as follows. With vol knob depressed, its as usual. With vol knob pulled up its first three positions as usual but pos 4 brings in all pick ups, pos 5. the bridge and neck. The rest of it is wiring info which is pretty self explanatory anyway. It really does do things for the noise. Glad to be of help to you.

Best wishes

Mike

Hi Mike,

What type of file is it that you are trying to upload? Is it a jpeg, bmp, doc?

Noodler    1

Oh yeah. Have you tried adding it as an attachemnt? If it's saved to your hard drive, click on the paper clip^^^, then browse and upload file. I'm technically challenged so that's how I do things. I don't know how to just post a picture that's the right size.

I will be getting a tech to do the wiring for me. If he can do the same thing with an s1 switch it will be better since I ride the volume control and do swells and things, and I don't want to change pickups by accident! But I'm just happy to know I don't have to buy a new pickguard and do without my middle pickup, which was my other option. This way I can have my cake and eat it too. Thanks! :yes:

I do own a soldering iron, but when I tried to fix an earthing issue it didn't work (output jack), so I'm thinking it might be best to pay someone.

Do you use you vol control a lot? (I do). Do you think it would be easy to flip it up/ down by accident?

Sorry, I check my mail daily but it somehow didnt record these replies. I would not ignore you for the world. Ok, I am not v techy but a soldering iron is heat and flux. With these two the metal will flow. I spent years as an accoustic player as a child, now with electrics I often mess with my vol accidentally, that is rotating it, but I dont think you will have any prob with the up down vol control for the 7 way switch. Good on you m8.

Noodler    1

I ended up taking it to a tech. He didn't seem too keen on doing the 7 way switch, but said he'd see what he could do. He's a bit of a legend in guitar tech circles, so I might end up with something unique. He was talking about drilling an extra hole in the control plate. I'll just leave him to it.

I get it back on Thursday. I didn't know I'd get to actually get to talk to him in person, but I did. If I knew that I would have just told him the sound I wanted and asked him to just give it back to me when it was done. He's a tone-hound. He's got actual orange drop capacitors and things. He is right into it, and knew straight away when I mentioned who I liked, what sort of guitars and pickups they use! I'm sure he'll do a great job.

bugly    0

What makes a Tele sound like a Tele is the ashtray bridge, IMO. The metal in the bridge affects the magnetic field around the bridge pickup magnet. Also, it might involve the large area tranfering the energy of the string to the guitar. I have a Yamaha Pacifica with a bridge like that, and it is more "Tele" than my Fender Tele!

Spot on Noodler the single biggest factor to contribute to the Tele sound is the Bridge design it contributes a bundle to the twang. I replaced the bridge on mine with a gotoh using strat type saddles and I lost my twang. Sound is much woodier now with same pickups neck etc.

Noodler    1

He called me today. The new pickups are in. I have to wait till after work Thurs to get it (late night shopping), but he says it sounds much better.

He wants me to source a pot that blends different pickups in, like Brent Mason uses, or says he'll find me one next time the catalogue comes out. I've got to google Acme. But if I just like the new pickups I might just leave it and work on my chops!

Noodler    1

Thanks Stratrat. I looked at the Acme site last night. The only non-std one I recognised was the push-pull pot. I'll have to ask.

The Tech has an account with Acme, which I think is pretty cool, so he can get Orange Drop caps etc. I've got a feeling he's going to try and get me to install Bardens, like on the Danny Gatton Custom shop Tele.

kbkbabbie    0

Can anyone good with Photoshop or so make a picture with the strat bodyshape over a tele body shape so I can see where the neck joins the body and see how the double cutaway looks?

Something like this only for the body shapes? I've been looking but I can't find anything

type in google telecaster stratocaster shape difference there you see a tele headstock with a strat headstock ...

I've got a feeling he's going to try and get me to install Bardens, like on the Danny Gatton Custom shop Tele.

They're a little spendy, but they have a sound all of their own.

Wow...a 7way switch on a Tele.

I dropped a pre-loaded switchplate (from acme) into one of my Tele's, and I'm fixing to do it with the other one. I went with Duncan Vintage '54s on one, and thinkin' on SD Quarter Pounders for the other.

Can't hardly go wrong with the Barden's...lots of quality p'ups available out there, though.

Noodler    1
They're a little spendy, but they have a sound all of their own.

Wow...a 7way switch on a Tele.

I dropped a pre-loaded switchplate (from acme) into one of my Tele's, and I'm fixing to do it with the other one. I went with Duncan Vintage '54s on one, and thinkin' on SD Quarter Pounders for the other.

Can't hardly go wrong with the Barden's...lots of quality p'ups available out there, though.

I was thinking on the fancy switching because my Tele is a Nashiville one and can't do the neck + bridge together. I got it back and it sounds great with the Twang King neck PUP, and a Tonerider in the Bridge. That guitar tech is pretty awesome. Don't know what other magic he worked, but the 5 way is plenty now. 5 different sounds.

It was hard to tell from the Duncan samples what would be good, but I remember the 54's did sound pretty nice. Actually, if I was going for Duncans, I'd be going for something like a Hotrails for Tele.

tbb007    0

I'm saving towards a lower-cost (probably used) Fender as a Christmas present to myself. At this point, not really interested in a Squier, SX, Starcaster, etc. December's a ways away, but I'm expecting to spend around $400.

I've always liked Telecasters, but would certainly never turn down the right deal on a Strat.

My question: is there a consistent difference in terms of quality and construction between the less-expensive (typically Mexican) Teles versus similar low-price Strats?

I know everyone has a story about a cheap guitar that outperformed their $1,500 custom job, but I'm curious about the run of the mill.

If I'm looking at an inexpensive Fender, am I more likely to get a better instrument if I focus my shopping on Telecasters or on Strats? Do they cut more corners on one line versus the other? Or at the lower price points are they pretty close in terms of quality?

GotDeeBlues    3

I've had Squiers and Mex Strats, and from what I saw when out shopping was that the Mexican Fenders were a bit more consistant in good "out of the box" quality. If my budget was $400, I would look for a Mex, and if I came accross a good Squier in the meantime, give it some consideration.

Noodler    1

tbb007, to answer your question directly, at a similar price-point, you will usually get a better Strat than a Tele.

Strats are very versatile instruments and kind of hard to get wrong. The neck position on a Strat will always sound like the neck position on a Strat.

Even though Teles are supposed to be simpler, I reckon they're harder to get right. Usually with a Tele, you are looking for "that sound" whether that be Bruce Springsteen or Keef Richards, and most Teles will disappoint in that regard. Teles are wonderful guitars, but I dare you to go to the Telecaster forum and find anyone who has kept theirs stock. You pretty much go into buying a Tele expecting to swap out the pickups. I know I had to, and now it's great! Problem is, that's everyone's story with them.

I don't know why, but with a Strat, they just all sound more "Stratty." They'll all get you close to the tones you like from Strats.

The problems with guitars at that price are either bad pickups (eg Tex Mex) or really obvious things. Feel the strings up near where the neck joins the body. Lots of cheap Fenders have the neck set at an angle and if you press the high E straight down you'll actually miss the fretboard, or just touch it. That's pretty bad, IMO! Check for buzzes when the strings are played open (loose saddles), the input jack.

Run of the mill Tele (I know you said you don't want Squier) is the Vintage Vibe Tele FTW!:winkthumb::claping: Wow, they play well. They just seem to fit the hand. Had to force myself to put it down. They really are one of those, "I had this cheap guitar that was better than a $1500 Custom Shop..."...if you can put up with Squier on the headstock.

When you say you always liked Teles, what sort of sound are you expecting. A Strat is a Strat is a Strat. The same is not true of Teles.

tbb007    0

Thanks, that's very useful. My hands-on experience with top-of-the-line guitars is extremely limited, and the advice is much appreciated.

Though I listen to a pretty wide range of pop and jazz music, my playing tends to focus on rockabilly, blues, and a bit of instrumental surf, and from what I can glean from my listening (since I know that much of what you hear on record or in concert often has as much to do with the effects and amps than the guitar itself), Teles just seem to pop up more often than anything else when I check to see what was played on a record I like.

But as I say, I'm pretty open on this. Most of my favorite guitar players seem to favor Fenders, but their choice of model is all over the map, with plenty of Tele and Strat players (and the odd anomaly like Tom Verlaine's hybrid Jazzmaster). And certainly it does seem that, with Strats being so generally popular, there's more good used deals available on those than on Telecasters.

GotDeeBlues    3

Just remember, those players you like usually have their pickups wound for them, not off the shelf or stock, run multiple effects through their amps, and probably customize the amp, too. Find yourself a sound you like from available guitar/amp setups, and enjoy the heck out of it.