Fat Eddie

Who are the "Great" lyricists in popular music?

Just been sitting back and enjoying your posts Carol and Noodler, educated there, like Paul Kelly, enjoyed the Make Poverty History clip they worked really well together great song, I assume you're talking Australian rules Football our guys don't like getting hurt they roll around on the ground for ages, Is The Bill the Police series from over here or something else, if it is UK it's not like that over here honest:)

The cup final was the Rugby League World Cup between Australia and New Zealand - the Brits got rubbed out in an earlier round :winkthumb: The aussies got beaten, but the Kiwis are like brothers anyway.

The Bill is the British cop show although I haven't watched it in years.

The cup final was the Rugby League World Cup between Australia and New Zealand - the Brits got rubbed out in an earlier round :winkthumb: The aussies got beaten, but the Kiwis are like brothers anyway.

The Bill is the British cop show although I haven't watched it in years.

Think they're having a welcome home thing for our guys not saying it will be quiet but even the Airport staff are taking the day off can't handle the shame, apparently they had to pay the Pilots double to fly them back and sign a contract promising not to laugh when they boarded the plane:yes:

I don't watch the Bill but it's very popular over here, my favourite Aussie show is Summer Heights High got flight of the Conchords now too.

Kind of meandered from the lyric thread, using an Aussie connection I think the Bee Gees definitely deserve a mention very gifted Songwriters.:winkthumb:

There are lots of Paul Kelly lyrics worth checking out. He's made one whole CD based on Bible stories, and another along the lines of the Raymond Carver sleuth novels (Murder Ballads).

Here's a feel-good track - I defy anyone to watch this and not smile -

YouTube - Shane Warne Song

Randy Newman has some fine lyrics, and Billy Joel's Piano Man.

Many of Sufjan Stevens songs for example YouTube - Sufjan Stevens - For the widows in paradise

and Ray Lamontagne's 'Empty' for example

There's a version with a cello which I prefer but can't find the clip - it's late:winkthumb: - my computer's gone on strike and refuses to hyperlink any more.......goodnight. :sleep1:

Two Paul Kelly songs really stand out, and are right up your alley (acoustic strumming busker songs), Starsailor: To Her Door and Dumb Things.

This is a down to earth song, I reckon is well written. eg When you line them UP together the footy wins hands DOWN. Kind of clever. Fight like an angel/ fight like the devil (Oxymorons?) The guy who wrote that wrote a whole swag of songs and TV jingles. A great unsung writer - Mike Brady. Wrote ads like Dodo the internet that flies, Lucky you're with aami, and even the Meadow-Lea commercial from the 80's. Hmm those ads get into your head. If only he'd used his powers for good instead of evil!

YouTube - Up There, Cazaly

Off to check out those links.

Wow Carol, most incredible scenery I've ever seen. Great song. Is it written from God's POV?

Never heard of Randy Newman before today, and although I'm short, I like that guy! :-)

Ouch Noodler! Maybe Stairway to Heaven could be a rousing Footy anthem?

Chris: thanks for the link, I just spent half the morning watching Randy Newman interviews (instead of doing other stuff).

In this one he discusses all about how he writes his songs and lots more besides

YouTube - Randy Newman - Late Show, BBC, Part One

He really bags simile and metaphor all right! However, in my defense :laughingg: if you look back at the examples of great writing I posted, all except one were character dialogue/conversation........:yeahhh:

Ouch Noodler! Maybe Stairway to Heaven could be a rousing Footy anthem?

????

People argue about what a lot of songs mean. I don't think Stairway actually makes any sense! And don't even try to figure out what they threw off the bridge in Ode to Billie Joe (Bobbie Gentry). I think the everyman can relate to Up there Cazaly:

"Well you work to earn a living, but on the weekend comes the time, you can do whatever turns you on, get out and clear your mind. Me, I like football..." I stand by it as good writing not because of football, but because it is completely unpretentious and relatable. Just like the line from the Hillbilly Hellcats, "Friday comes and then it's time for freedom. Freedom just to rake and mow and weed 'em." I can relate to that! :yes: I put it in the same class as Working Man Blues by Merle Haggard. ie I think it strikes a chord with the average working Joe. Just my 2c.

Yes I agree Noodler, a simple and relevant line can say a lot whereas with the more fancy stuff, you just move on without thinking about it much.

I've never bothered to listen/understand the lyrics of Stairway to Heaven either, I just enjoy the music of that one. The idea for a footy anthem was only about how those guys use each other to climb up the other guy's back/neck to reach the ball (as in a stairway).

Oh, I never thought of it that way...

There are some fascinating sites debating the meaning of lyrics to songs. Bobby Gentry would not reveal the meaning of Ode to Billie Joe even when interviewed, and the Tallahchee bridge in real life is far too low to die from jumping off. Seems the idea was to create intrigue/ suspense/ curiosity. It worked, never to be resolved. :reallymad:

I'll bet there are similar debates about Stairway. "If there's a bustle in your hedgerwo, don't be alarmed now. It's just a spring clean for the may-queen." What the ?

Ah yes, "The traffic lights they turn a blue tomorrow, and shine emptiness down on my bed.The tiny island sags downstream..." I take your point. I like how nowadays they call that "random."

"Random" seems to be a buzzword at the moment with the youngins I meet. Just like "happy days", "awesome", "good times","learning curve" etc. Someone will say something a bit weird, and they'll go, "that's random." Or in reference to someone who's "good value" they'll say, "she's so random." I think it's a compliment of sorts. :wheelchai Maybe that's where Ross Noble's "Randomist" comes from, or is it the other way around?

Yeah Bob Dylan definitely.

Random is a buzzword with the Youngsters over here too, a lot of the language goes over my head, I think the birth of Texting which I hate has spawned a whole new language too but seems to have killed any will to learn how to spell, often read replies on youtube written in text I know it speeds things up so suitable for mobile phones but in a written reply it's just plain lazy.(optional off topic rant LOL)

Some songs are accessible some need a bit of work and some don't mean anything at all. I think a lot of those classics say Stairway or Whiter shade of pale were written under the influence of some narcotic substance and don't make sense so you can make up your own story but that's just me. I think pop songs chart hits usually have to be accessible to a degree so you can sing along to the words, so they stick in your head, football songs are the same you want everyone to sing along so you need to pick them up straight away but that said people don't always care about the meaning of a song I remember a song called Cornflake girl by Tori Amos.

YouTube - Tori Amos - Cornflake Girl (US Version)

I didn't realize what that was about but it didn't stop me liking it, sometimes the tune takes over and the words become secondary.

I think it depends on the listener and the individual and what they want to know from a song, are they curious, do they just want to sing along and not get too deep, or do they want to use their imagination and sometimes hear things that aren't there, Sigur Ross who Carol mentioned earlier write lyrics that don't mean anything at all but yet the mumblings make you think, I hear words in their songs that aren't there (I could be nuts that's possible) it's purely my imagination. it's all down to perception how you listen to songs, what you want to hear.