Fat Eddie

Who are the "Great" lyricists in popular music?

I'm interested in peoples vies as to lyricists who you think are exceptional in the world of popular music. The ones I suppose I've heard of as revered wordsmiths are Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen and I once heard Smoky Robinson being highly praised by someone on the radio (tracks of my tears is the one I know best of his songs and it certainly has a well constructed feel about it). Obviously it's all subjective but I'd be interested in your suggestions.

Elton John/Bernie Taupin come to my mind immediately when this topic comes up. Also, even though I'm in no way a fan of the Beatles, Lennon/McCartney can't be overlooked.

I agree with a lot of the above choices and if I were to go for someone who has been around a long time, then it would be Elvis Costello. Newer lyricists who I love, and believe worthy, are Jamie T, Mike Skinner, (The Streets) and whoever writes the words for the Arctic Monkeys.

Ian

p.s. Smokey Robinson is pop music's finest poet IMIO

Nice suggestions guys, I've not heard of John Prine so I'll find out a bit more about him and Tom Waits is one of those artists I've never gotten around to listening to before so now might be the time to check him out too. I was listening to Dylan performed by Brian Ferry last night, great lyrics, great voice and arrangements YouTube - Bryan Ferry - 6. Positively 4th Street - Dylanesque DVD

"I wish for just one time you could stand inside my shoes, you'd know what a drag it is to see you." From "Positively Fourth Street", love it

Liked that Dylanesque Album, I'd also put Brian Ferry in as a cool songwriter along with Brian Eno, this is a pretty wierd song by Roxy Music but emphasizes how innovative they were.

YouTube - Roxy Music - In Every Dream Home a Heartache

A couple more that spring to mind are Peter Gabriel and Suzanne Vega. Tom's Diner is a favourite of mine.

Nice one Noodler, I like that, nice feelgood song and that kid made a good job of his video, very literal, made me smile.

A guy I like a lot is Ryan Adams (American alt.country singer/songwriter) been listening to his album "29" recently - Strawberry Wine is a great track (not the one done by that country singer woman, which is perhaps better known).

Gordon Lightfoot.

The most austere and finest Canadian lyricist.

+1,000!!!

In the same vein, it would be a crime to omit James Taylor and Harry Chapin. Jim Croce too.