Do you keep count?

Do you count?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Do you count?

• During practice`
    • During gigs
    • Always
    • Never

This counting thing seems to bother some people. I've never counted as such, although I'm musically oriented which means I really don't do anything unless I'm listening to music in my head. If I walk I generally have some tune or other going and I'm walking to the beat. If I hear something rhythmic, it doesn't take long before a matching tune springs to mind.

So when I play, it's just to the mental metronome which is always with me. Can't see any point putting words to something as ordinary as a heartbeat.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "Do you count?"

I count along with the drummer as he starts the song.

I tap my foot to keep the beat with the rest of the band, but I'm not counting in my head, "1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4" or whatever the count is.

I will count in my head if there is a break in the song, a rest or a carried over note that rings out for X amounts of beats, so we can all come in at the right time.

Is that what you mean?

Or, are you asking if we count throughout the song, continuously?

Sorry to sound dense on this, but I can't imagine any player counting 1-2-3-4 throughout the whole song.

Man!! You'd be missing the music completely!!

I do, in the sense that I can "feel" the count as I tap my toe if playing alone, or listen to the beat of the music I'm playing along to....but I don't continuously count "1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4...", either aloud or in my head, as I'm playing.

I voted "Always" because I'm always playing to a beat (unless I'm just aimlessly noodling) - but I could have also voted "Never" because it's not actually counting, per se......

I spent a lot of time playing with a metronome, drum machine and counting and tapping my foot to try and develop my timing to being the best it can be.

I don't count that much during gigs, but I have had lots of comments about my left foot sounding like a kick drum on some stages. I use a stomp box sometimes for that at acoustic gigs.

I do count sometimes if I am playing something with a compound time signature, if I pick up a sight-reading job with a jazz or big band, or on the very-odd occasional I play sax in a horn section and am reading the syncopated riffs.

I don't count.

I think the most important thing to capture in your mind is "where the beat" starts and where it ends. To learn where the stress is on the beat. Listen to any song and you will hear the primary beat, or count, if you will.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Obviously the highlighted "1" *IS* the marker for your count. It's the beginning of a repetition of beats or a measure. But you don't need to count it as 1-2-3-4. That's already being done by the drummer in some cases. It's your job, as a guitarist, to "keep up" with it.

Doing solo lead guitar work or playing trick riffs "to the beat" is often very difficult. If that's your concern, about the only thing that will work is practice. Yep. The "P" word. So when you start learning a riff, or writing a riff to a particular beat, then *you* have to learn where and when your notes get played within the beat.

Even the most prolific guitarists, SRV, Clapton, Mike Campbell, practice their riffs to the beat so their timing of playing the notes is a perfect match to the beat. When you see them playing a solo, it appear to be a seamless and natural thing for them to do. In reality, they have spent hours upon hours practicing that riff until it is perfectly in time with the beat.

LC

I never keep count. Well, I have the built-in metronome in my head that keeps track of the beats, but keeping count to me is also about knowing how many measures you have played.

When we have ensembles in school, the teacher always says something like "this section goes on for ten measures, then it switches to this section, which lasts for five measures" etc. And I NEVER count the measures, I've tried, but it's hopeless. I generally just "feel" when the change is about to occur.

..Sometimes however I look at my classmates, since some of them focuses a lot on counting the measures, and you can often see how they tense up a bit in the measure before the change!

Nope - don't count, 'feel it' as someone else has said. The only thing resembling counting is if I am reading music (while practicing) and trying to figure out how a melody is represented, but it's not really counting like 1-2-3-4, it's 'honoring' the lengths of the notes and rests.

Too much going on for me to add counting to the mix.

Sometimes sway to the beat like a catatonic but not in public.

Can't say I count much, haven't used a metronome keep meaning to get one but something else comes up, do tend to sway a bit and I nod a lot mind you I've been Married 20 years so that's pretty normal:winkthumb:

I don't count,I just get into the groove :) .I might try excercising with a metronome though sometime,it just might prove to be a good lesson for me...

All the best,

Theo

• Like 1

Great Poll - as a someone with a non-musical background I was thinking (as I watch a local musician or a pro) .. man they are jamming and improvising and singing and keeping count (as in 1-2-3-4 2-1 2-2 2-3 2-4 ...) !!! I must be a moron ....

I do a couple of 1-2-3-4's just to get a groove going but thats it.