thodwris

Reaper question...

thodwris    1

Hello Eddie...

I know about the Toneport,a friend of mine uses it and I would want to get it,I just didn't know that I should get it in order to fix a problem.I was thinking of it more like an upgrade,something to improve sound quality.I think though(through the previews I saw on different sites)that the UX1 has phantom power and that the difference between this one and the UX2 is the 2 inputs for guitars and mics...Thank you very much once more for your time and your replies.I really appreciate it,I mean it!Be always well...

Hello Mac...

I wanted from the beginning to get something in order to be able and record my acoustic.At the time I thought that only a digital recorder would do the job,but since I fould Reaper(with help from this forum of course)I didn't want to spend about 400 euro just to record my acoustic and I let it alone.Let me tell you by the way(and to Eddie)that I have no idea what a condenser mic is :laughingg: but I guess it is something better that a simple mic...Anyway,I hope that you are right about changing only the soundcard.I am kind of dry since I got the new electric about a week ago and changing both the sound card and the processor is out of the question right now.I trust you though and I will see to get a Toneport with the first chance I get.It will take a while though to raise the money :) ..Thank you vey much for your time and your very useful information.I really appreciate it.You,Eddie and Tekker have acted like true friends and I am grateful..Be always well...

All the best,

Theo

thodwris    1
While I certainly agree that getting a new soundcard will improve the quality of your recordings, it sounds like the problem you are having is with the background track and not your recorded track correct?

If so, then replacing the soundcard won't help with this problem as the mixdown process doesn't use the souncard.

Can you post some audio clips for us to hear?

-tkr

Hello Tekker...

The problem is when I get an mp3 inside Reaper and try to render something on top of it.The annoying sounds occur after I have rerendered the whole file into an mp3 and not before.When I add an mp3 into Reaper,add something on top and playback the whole thing before rendering it again,there are no annoying sounds.However,I must add this detail that could tell a lot.I did a recording about a month ago and I noticed that the quality of the soud was not so good.It presented some pops in sound from now and then but nothing as annoying as what happens if I try to mix an mp3 adding some tracks(or even one)and rendering again.Yet another thing that I don't know why it happens.Let's say that I want to record a song or an idea I have using Reaper.If in the settings before I have recorded the song I choose to record directly in mp3 and then render the whole thing,the same annoying sounds appear in the background.I mean in order to get a clear recording I have to record in wav format and then render it in mp3.I will post an idea I had,to take a listen to the annoying sounds that I am talking about.Be careful to cover your ears though as it is dangerous to your health :) ...

Creepy.mp3

Thank you very much for your time and your replies,I really appreciate it.Be always well...

All the best,

Theo

thodwris    1

I must add another thing.I just did some tests and I came up with this interesting detail.If I try and rerender a wav file adding wav on top I get no annoying sounds.Also if I add on top of an mp3 a track or two,render it first in wav and then rerender it in mp3 the annoying sounds are not so intense...Well that's the best I can do from my end,that's about all the info I could provide about this problem of mine.I hope once more with your help to get to the bottom of this once and for all...

All the best,

Theo

I think maybe your MP3 encoder is broken? Try downloading the LAME MP3 Encoder 3.98.2 from here:

free-codecs.com/download/Lame_Encoder.htm

(sorry I don't have enough posts to post a proper link)

From the zip file you will only need to extract the file lame_enc.dll which you should copy in to your main Reaper folder.

Hope this is helpful,

-Chris

knight46    2

Theo,

Just listening through my head set it seems that all of the unwanted sound is coming from the right side, the left seems pretty clean. I am going to import your mp3 into my version and see if I can see anything.

Also the Toneport UX1 does not have phantom power, it has a preamp but that is not the same. I had to get a phantom power source for mine so that I could use a condenser mic.

PS: Tekker and Solidwalnut have a some exellent lessons on mixing and mic's.

thodwris    1

Hello Chris...

As from today,you are my saviour!!As sonn as I downloaded the new lame encoder from the link that you gave me all the problems simply dissapeared!The whole problem was from the encoder,who would have guessed?Thank you for the post and your help,you just saved me from tones of stress and gave me my smile back!I really appreciate it and I am grateful!I can't find the words to thank you...Be always well...

Hello Eddie...

As you will read above the problem has benn solved.I want to thank you very much for insisting so much to help me,I really appreciate it.Also I want to thank you on the feedback about the Toneport.I trust you know better and as soon as I raise the money it will be my first priority with a condenser microphone(I checked out on the web to find out what it was :) ).Be always well...

Finally I want to thank you all for being there for me.Solving this problem means a lot to me.I am grateful to you all...

All the best,

Theo

thodwris    1

Eddie,Tekker and Edward,thank you all very much for sharing my worries and being happy that I overcame the problem.I really appreciate your posts,be always well...

All the best,

Theo