Stratrat

"Tone is in the hands"

Stratrat    0

Watch this video and see the meaning of this phrase come to life before your very eyes. Junior Brown, Jimmie Vaughan and Redd Volkaert all have a go on Junior's "Guit-steel" - same guitar through the same amp with the same settings, yet listen to how different each of them makes it sound, and how they bring out their individual "tone" through the nuances of their playing:

Andy S    9

Excellent find!!!! Perhaps something some of the younger kids comin' up need to hear. Too many want to buy amps and pedals and guitars like their idols have and when they can't get the same tones they wonder why!!

Just recently I was reminded that playing at certain volumes can make a huge difference in how your guitar responds to your playing. For the last 6 years, I have played consistently at a lower volume, going wither through an amp set very low, perhaps 1 out of 10, or through a modeler of one sort or another. I could get decent tones, but that was it.

With this new band I'm playing with, we don't play extremely loud, but louder than we normally do in a room slightly bigger than a basketball court (the church auditorium). I've discovered how my guitars actually respond differently to pick attack, thumb attack, finger picking, pinch harmonics, etc... all differently at this slightly higher volume.

So, yeh, a good lesson on how the tone is greatly affected by the player's touch.

Stratrat    0
Just recently I was reminded that playing at certain volumes can make a huge difference in how your guitar responds to your playing....

...I've discovered how my guitars actually respond differently to pick attack, thumb attack, finger picking, pinch harmonics, etc... all differently at this slightly higher volume...

Yep. Makes an amazing difference, doesn't it? I normally play at home, at pretty low volumes. If using my tube amp, it's turned down and pretty heavily attenuated. When I practice/jam with my drummer, with the amp cranked up and 'let off the leash' a bit, the whole guitar/amp combination just feels more "alive"....more sustain, much more responsive to attack/dynamics, etc.

I've never seen Junior Brown live in concert, but have heard that he's very loud....so he, Redd and Jimmy are getting the full benefit of all that cranked up tube goodness.

Stratrat    0
This this their names in the order they first play it?

Jr Brown, Redd Voelkart and Jimmy Vaughan

Junior Brown is first (the one in the suit & tie and cowboy hat). Jimmie Vaughan is second (the one with the slicked-back hair); Redd Volkaert is third - the big red-headed, bearded guy with the ball cap and the "Popeye" arms.

Junior is known as a country-type picker, but is incredibly versatile; he plays incredible surf guitar, smokin' blues and some old 50's type stuff also. Jimmie Vaughan is the late Stevie Ray Vaughan's older brother.....primarily a blues guitarist, although he was a founding member of the Fabulous Thunderbirds. Redd Volkaert is primarily a country picker (he played in Merle Haggard's band for a number of years), but he also delves into some jazzy and bluesy stuff.

6string    81
Junior Brown is first (the one in the suit & tie and cowboy hat). Jimmie Vaughan is second (the one with the slicked-back hair); Redd Volkaert is third - the big red-headed, bearded guy with the ball cap and the "Popeye" arms.

Junior is known as a country-type picker, but is incredibly versatile; he plays incredible surf guitar, smokin' blues and some old 50's type stuff also. Jimmie Vaughan is the late Stevie Ray Vaughan's older brother.....primarily a blues guitarist, although he was a founding member of the Fabulous Thunderbirds. Redd Volkaert is primarily a country picker (he played in Merle Haggard's band for a number of years), but he also delves into some jazzy and bluesy stuff.

Thanks Stratrat

Nice!

Watch this video and see the meaning of this phrase come to life before your very eyes. Junior Brown, Jimmie Vaughan and Redd Volkaert all have a go on Junior's "Guit-steel" - same guitar through the same amp with the same settings, yet listen to how different each of them makes it sound, and how they bring out their individual "tone" through the nuances of their playing:

Stratrat    0
Good post - I noticed that it seemed a bit uncomfortable for them to hold, except for Redd.

Junior plays it that way (on the stand) at all of his gigs. I guess it's because he can't really hold it like a conventional guitar while playing the lap steel part of it.

Here are another couple good vids of him:

Junior Brown - Long Walk Back to San Antone (he plays both the lap steel and guitar on his "guit-steel" on this one.)

Noodler    1

Wow, Redd was cookin! His DVD is worth getting if you like country.

I didn't hear that much difference in tone except in the playing. Redd snaps the strings more so the reverb comes out more and Junior Brown played softer, Jimmy chose different notes, but I wasn;t fooled into thinking they were playing different amps or something.

I don't disagree though that it can be done. I've heard my teacher make his strat sound like everything from a Tele to a chicken to a lap steel...and if you're good enough you can make a BC Rich sound country, but good gear can be a help for intermediate players to make their licks sound authentic and I think that's cool.

Noodler    1

YouTube - Vintage Fender TV Front Deluxe Demo by: John Grimsley

Above is a great demo of how much tone can be in the hands if you use a valve amp and turn it up loud. The tone comes from the volume control and the fingers only. Soft playing/ vol down is clean, hard playing, volume on guitar up goes to raunchy OD. Great fun! :yeahhh:

A guy called Thomas Blug has some great samples on the Lick Library site which are truly inspirational demonstrating the same idea.

It's in "Samples" under Thomas Blug Strat Magic. Wow!! Also shows things you can do on a strat I never dreamed possible.