Lcjones

A Great! Tablature Player and Editor

Lcjones    8

For those players who love to use tab to learn with as well as tab out their own tunes, I have run across probably the best Tab Editor I have every seen ...... any where. And the best thing is it's Open Source with a fantastic Windows package along with MAC and Linux ports. And it's free. Absolutely FREE!

Without going into too much detail as it comes with great documentation, you can import many of the proprietary tab files out there. It plays the tab file in midi format. You can set tempo slow or fast or even set up a slow to fast training session for learning those scales!!!!!! It has a built in full size fretboard that you can change string number like 4 strings, 6 7.... whatever you want. You can hear and SEE whats being played in the tab.

Disclaimer.... I have absolutely no affiliation with this program or the wonderful folks who created it. This is just too good of a tool for the budding as well as experienced guitar player to not share!!!!'

It's called TuxGuitar!

.:: TuxGuitar ::. Open Source Tablature Editor :: TuxGuitar

Download :: TuxGuitar

TuxGuitar Documentation

Enjoy it. I am!

LC

MJK    0

Lcjones,

Great Post. I have downloaded this application and have loved it since...

"And it's free. Absolutely FREE!" - you have to love free.

Nutty    1

Thanks for posting that Les. I've had GP 5 for a long time (over a year at least) and I still haven't used it. The main reason is that there are no tutorials and I didn't find the manual helpful at all.

I had a quick look at the doucmentation and it looks great. Everything seems to be well explained, which is great.

Nutty

Andy S    9

I downloaded the Demo version of GP 5 the other day. It seems to have a few features that Tux didn't have. The Demo version doesn't have the RSE, sound engine to get decent sounding guitars and such. (Side note, the demo version of GP 5 has an annoying habit of asking if you want to buy the full version just about any time you hit "play" or open the silly thing. Other demo software pkgs I've tried only pop up the reminder once in a while and just before the expiration)

Anyhow, (My opinion here, for what it's worth!!) unless you have intentions of doing some serious work, midi background tracks, regular backing tracks, etc, or lessons like Kirk's for lots of people to use, then perhaps the Tux version would be fine. Also, the fact that it is free, it will at least get you started.

Then if you feel you need a bit more polish to the product, GP5 would work well.

My 2 cents.

I'll give it a try. Sounds good. Often I find that free applications work much better than the ones you pay for, simply because the free ones don't have to include useless features to sell you the product.

Its perhaps a beneficial side effect of lazyness: they only include whats necessary.

Andy S    9

OK so it's only been two years since this thread was updated...but

I have a question on Tuxguitar. I have a student that was going to use Powertab since that is what I use for tabbing out assignments and songs for my students. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Vista, which is what they have on their PC.

I was looking at Tuxguitar but could find nothing on which systems it works. It only indicates Windows and Linux and Mac. but no differentiation on XP, NT, 2000 or ...VISTA.

Anyone know for sure if it is or isn't compatible with Vista?

Thanks!

Lcjones    8

Andy S,

I just downloaded the package and installed it on Windows Vista Business version OS. You should be fine on Vista, XP or lesser. I do not know about Win7.

LC

acoronab    0

Help! I can't get a beep out of my powertab when asking for playback, although my soundcard is just fine (everything CAN be heard). Does anyone have a hint of what may be going wrong?