14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bicicleta

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 27-February 08

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:54 AM

Hello,
I've downloaded and bought a few lessons on "guitar for beginners" and "Plane Talk" on my old mac and since I downloaded on this new MacBook/Intel I can't have access to the lessons. The direct link (in the Lesson_OPEN_THIS.pdf) that connect me to the videos doesn't work anymore and I had to download a Flip4Mac to be able to look for them and see them in the files. Not very confortable neither interactive. Is there any solution to make it simple as before? Can and Have I to get them again from this site? Thanks for any help.:dunno:

#2 ONLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,469 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:19 AM

Hi bicicleta,

I'm not sure why the lessons wouldn't be working on your new mac. Did you re-download them or copy them over?

If you copied them over, I'd re-download them from here - http://www.guitarfor...php?do=download

How did the movies open on your old mac?

For the PT lessons you'll have to contact Kirk directly. Just PM him through this forum or the PTers forum.

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#3 OFFLINE   Sentry

• Active Members
  • 227 posts
  • Joined 18-May 08

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:18 AM

The movies are in Windows Media (.wmv) format, right? That's a proprietary format owned by Micro$oft. There used to be a Mac version of Windows Media Player, but Micro$oft quit making it. Afaik, the old version of Windows Media Player will not run on Intel-based Macs. Therefore your only option is Flip For Mac, a plug-in to allow Apple Quicktime to play .wmv files (the "WMV Player.app" that comes with Flip4Mac is really just a script to open the movies in Quicktime with the plugin). You already have that, so you're golden. If you're having trouble getting .wmv format movies to open automatically in Quicktime when you double-click them, do this:

Control-Click on one of the .wmv movies.
Select "Get Info" from the contextual menu
In the info window, down near the bottom there's a field entitled "Open With"
Click the little triangle next to where it says "Open With" to reveal the options for this field.
There should be a pop-up menu here that lists the applications that your system thinks might be able to open it. Click that pop-up menu. If "WMV Player.app" is in the list, select it. If it's not in the list, choose "Other" and a navigation window will open allowing you to choose an application.
Navigate to "WMV Player.app" (Should be in /Applications/Flip4Mac) and select it.
If you cannot select it, ie it's "greyed out", change the field at the top that reads "Recommended Applications" to "All Applications".
Back in the info window, WMV Player should now be listed as the default application to open this movie. Click "Change All" so that all wmv files will open properly instead of only this one.

That's it. Now all windows media format files should open properly for you just by double-clicking.

P.S. Why Flip4Mac's installer didn't automatically set WMV Player to the default program for opening wmv files when you installed it is a question you'd have to ask Flip4Mac's developer. :P
The Prince of Dorkness

#4 ONLINE   Clancy

Administrator

• Admin

• 3,469 posts
  • Joined 17-October 05

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:54 PM

Thanks Sentry to providing such a helpful answer for bicicleta.... it's been a while since I used a mac.

Thanks again,

Clancy
I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. ~ Dr. Seuss

#5 OFFLINE   bicicleta

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 27-February 08

Posted 18 September 2008 - 02:20 AM

thanks sentry,
good to know that some guitar beginners know a lot about computers.

#6 OFFLINE   Sentry

• Active Members
  • 227 posts
  • Joined 18-May 08

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:10 AM

Glad to be of help. I used to do in-home tech assistance for PCs and Macs for a living; and my own operating system of choice is Mac OS X so I'm even more skilled in that due to daily practice. Sadly, I'm not making much of a living at it anymore. With most of the tech jobs gone overseas *makes a rude gesture in the direction of Washington DC*, there's a LOT of out-of-work IT guys here in NYC trying to do the same thing. Too much competition. *shrugs* Oh well, time to dust off the old resume and try to get a regular job. Maybe Burger King is hiring. :(
The Prince of Dorkness

#7 OFFLINE   bicicleta

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 27-February 08

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:04 PM

I find out to have a direct link to the movies when I use the"Lesson_OPEN_THIS.pdf" I have to use now ADOBE instead of the MAC programme "aperçu" (french mac!). As well to install the Flip4Mac.
About Jobs I've been moving from country to country myself, one advantage of this European Union (among others). Sometimes scary sometimes paradise. Good luck and thanks again.

#8 OFFLINE   Sentry

• Active Members
  • 227 posts
  • Joined 18-May 08

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

Yes, "Aperçu" ("Preview" in English) is only a simple image-viewing application. It doesn't support links or video inside of .pdf files. For that you need the free Adobe Reader. If you want all PDF files to open in Adobe Reader (which I recommend), just follow the same instructions as I gave before for setting the default "Open With" application for WMV files, though obviously substituting a PDF file for the WMV, and substituting "Adobe Reader" for "WMV Player.app".
The Prince of Dorkness

#9 OFFLINE   blakeyspost

Newcomer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 14-October 07

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:56 AM

Hi there. Sorry to butt in on someone elses thread but I have also had the same problems when trying to open up my downloaded files. Having followed your advice and I have downloaded Flip4mac, when I click onto the .wmv movie file it responds with...The file is not a movie file ???????? Can you help Pleeeease.

Cheers

Jim Blakemore

#10 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,230 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:43 AM

I know you can use Realplayer for Macs. I don't know any details about Flip4Mac.
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#11 OFFLINE   SprayTech

• Active Members
  • 534 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:14 AM

Go into System Preferences , and then at the bottom of the window there should be OTHERS , and flip4mac should be there , click on it and it will bring up a pop up window , see if the Flip4mac WMV Browser plug-in window box is checked in the Browser Tab .
Then in the Player tab , see if any of those boxes are checked , ( mine are all checked ).
All WMV files play for me on all my Macs . ( I have windows media player 9 installed )
Hope this helps

#12 OFFLINE   bicicleta

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 27-February 08

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:11 AM

blakeyspost said:

Hi there. Sorry to butt in on someone elses thread but I have also had the same problems when trying to open up my downloaded files. Having followed your advice and I have downloaded Flip4mac, when I click onto the .wmv movie file it responds with...The file is not a movie file ???????? Can you help Pleeeease.

Cheers

Jim Blakemore

Hello, I've sended today the following mail to:
Telestream Flip4Mac WMV - Contact Support
I let you know if there's any answer. Actually I try to solve things quite intuitively. Try some of the advices from our fellow guitar players!

Subject:
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 14:58
Hello,
After moving to Intel I aquiered Flip4Mac to open some windows movies in and directly from some Adobe and Firefox documents.

Recently I upgrade to Snow Leopard and installed also QuickTime Player. Since then things are happening this way:
Doc Firefox will show the movie on the page but not open the high resolution. When opening a Doc Firefox with Safari will not show the movie on the Safari page but will open the high resolution on a different page.

Doc Adobe Reader will refuse to open any movie showing this warning from WMV: "QuickTime Player must be installed to run this aplication". But actually QuickTime Player 10.0 (51) is installed (as well as Version 7.6.3 Pro(630))!!!
It seems thaf Flip4Mac can't recognize the application that is asking for!

Down you have all the versions I'm using; they are all the last version and I have a one year MacBook.

Mac OS X 10.6.1 Snow Leopard
Flip4Mac 2.2.3.7
Adobe Reader 9.1.3
QuickTime Player 10.0 (51)
Firefox 3.5.3

The documents are downlowded from the sites www.guitarforbeginners.com and PlaneTalk - The Truly Totally Different Guitar Instruction Book/DVD and other people are having the same problem.
Thanks for helping!

#13 OFFLINE   SprayTech

• Active Members
  • 534 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:38 AM

It could have something to so with snow leopard as I only have Leopard 10.5.8 and it all works .

#14 OFFLINE   Sentry

• Active Members
  • 227 posts
  • Joined 18-May 08

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:48 AM

Files downloaded before Flip4Mac installation might have been improperly downloaded due to your browser not recognizing the MIME type. Try deleting the old movies and re-downloading.
The Prince of Dorkness

#15 OFFLINE   bicicleta

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 27-February 08

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:59 AM

Sentry said:

Files downloaded before Flip4Mac installation might have been improperly downloaded due to your browser not recognizing the MIME type. Try deleting the old movies and re-downloading.

Things are much simpler, I just downloaded Flip4Mac for Snow Leopard (the market moves fast), it works for both Adobe and Firefox docs. Images don't show directly on the page but a new window will open the movies.
Thanks for helping.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users