dubvacdc

how to get AC/DC sound

Noodler    1

Hi dubvacdc, and welcome.

On the Micro Cube the appropriate setting would be "Classic Stack." That is modelled after the Marshall Stack sound in a general way. You've kind of got the right guitar!

The main mistake people make in trying to get their sound is to use distortion. Go back and have a listen to their songs, while you're playing through you amp. The boys don't sound very hissy, but most people try to sound powerful by using distortion.

What makes the ACDC sound so great is that it's harmonically rich and powerful. That's because they are using real Marshall and Orange stacks, cranked up loud. So instead of just the notes they are playing (the fundamentals) you are hearing lots of subtle "even harmonics" as well. Amps like the Microcube try to emulate that, but you'll get much closer if you can save for an Orange Tiny Terror, or similar.

Also, Malcolm is the unsung hero of that band. Everyone notices Angus, but Malcolm is the driving force. He uses Gretches, and his sound probably has quite a bit in common with Brian Setzer!

If you love ACDC, I'd have a look at Tiny Terror amps. You will get something that only vaguely reminds you of ACDC on the MicroCube.

Other than that, it's technique. Search youtube for info on how to do Angus' vibrato. Takes some work!

dubvacdc    0
Hi dubvacdc, and welcome.

On the Micro Cube the appropriate setting would be "Classic Stack." That is modelled after the Marshall Stack sound in a general way. You've kind of got the right guitar!

The main mistake people make in trying to get their sound is to use distortion. Go back and have a listen to their songs, while you're playing through you amp. The boys don't sound very hissy, but most people try to sound powerful by using distortion.

What makes the ACDC sound so great is that it's harmonically rich and powerful. That's because they are using real Marshall and Orange stacks, cranked up loud. So instead of just the notes they are playing (the fundamentals) you are hearing lots of subtle "even harmonics" as well. Amps like the Microcube try to emulate that, but you'll get much closer if you can save for an Orange Tiny Terror, or similar.

Also, Malcolm is the unsung hero of that band. Everyone notices Angus, but Malcolm is the driving force. He uses Gretches, and his sound probably has quite a bit in common with Brian Setzer!

If you love ACDC, I'd have a look at Tiny Terror amps. You will get something that only vaguely reminds you of ACDC on the MicroCube.

Other than that, it's technique. Search youtube for info on how to do Angus' vibrato. Takes some work!

k thanks this amp kinda sucks anyways. i've always wanted their sound and its so hard to get it

Noodler    1

Matt31, thankis for that PDF. Good find! I own a microcube, so I'll check some of those out. Thing with modellers though is that you have to change the settings for every guitar you use, if you use more than one.

dubvacdc, the Microcube isn't completely bad. It's good for quiet practice with a variety of tones and FX all in one little box.

Problem is like this. Say I like the sound of a big Ford V8 pickup truck. It's powerful-sounding. It sounds big and exciting. So I go, "How can I make my Hyundai sound like that pickup truck?" You go to an auto shop and you buy a great big-bore tail-pipe. So now you've got a really loud Hyundai. It sounds loud and more powerful, so you've kind of got what you wanted, but that Ford still has something that's missing from the Hyundai. That's because one is still a Ford truck and one's a Hyundai.

It seems like you know the exact tone you're after, so you don't need 10 models in an amp. You just need one amp which is the "real deal" by which I mean a valve amp.

If you have a listen to this sample, it'll give you some idea of the difference:

YouTube - Tiny Terror - Hells Bells

There are better samples, but it was an ACDC song.

Edit: The reason I'm mentioning the Tiny Terror is that I think it's the cheapest of what you're after. ACDC played through Orange in the Bon Scott years. Marshalls are more expensive for their valve amps, but classic.

Noodler    1
hey by the way anyone know how to get Guns 'n' Roses sound on this thing too

Dude, just sell a kidney and buy yourself a proper Marshall! (proper=JCM800 or similar, not a solid state DSP one). You've got two kidneys... :winkthumb:

scotty_b    16

The trick to get the ACDC sound on record is to use a small valve amp ( 15 watts) and turn it all the way up. There is little distortion per se, it is a valve amp just starting to break up,and responding to the player's dynamic control.

DarkInferno    0

Well, I heard something from a friend, who plays guitar and buys and sells stuff just to test the gear & sound... He wanted to get the exact overdrive like Angus Young. He didn't knew where to star so he bought the same equipment. A fender telecaster and one of the Marshall's JTMs. As known, Angus doesn't use any overdrive effects including Marshall's integrated effects. Overdrive without effects? No way! Then he tried something he heard from some gutarist. He raised up the pickups very close to the strings and turned up the gain to 100% and PRESTO! He had the EXACT AC/DC sound! I heard some of his test recordings and the sound was stunning! So.... You should try it yourself with your equipment, it may not get as good as the original stuff, but it might get you a lot closer to the real deal. Enjoy!

Stratrat    0
Well, I heard something from a friend, who plays guitar and buys and sells stuff just to test the gear & sound... He wanted to get the exact overdrive like Angus Young. He didn't knew where to star so he bought the same equipment. A fender telecaster and one of the Marshall's JTMs....

Angus' main axe is a Gibson SG....I don't know that I've ever seen him play a Tele. And the Marshall amps he plays (all tube) don't have any integrated effects.....except turning that volume knob all the way to the right to overdrive his amp to the max! :yes:

The Marshalls with integrated fx are the solid-state versions, which are about as similar to the vintage tube Marshall amps as a Ford Fiesta is to a 5.0 liter Ford Mustang Saleen! :D

DarkInferno    0

Well yeah... Thanks for the update... I know Angus mostly uses a Gibson SG, but I heard the AC/DC sound from my friend and it was generated with a telecaster, at least he told me so. I also didn't mention that later he had bought a Gibson SG. The sound was better but it was not a big difference.