carol m

Interference

carol m    64

My bleep is still there unfortunetly. I get the bleep with my mic or/and guitar plugged in. I have now tested recording straight into line-in/mic-in (bipassing the Tascam) and it's still there. I also get it on the phone line and taking the phone off the hook makes no difference. I also get it on the radio (both am and fm).

It's always the same and always there (I thought it used to be at a variable level, but recently it seems to be loud all the time.

Anyone have any ideas?? Maybe I'll have to think about insulating my computer, but I know nothing about how to do it.

carol m    64

I just re-read above and SolidWalnut mentions an ac filter. I've found a few free ac filter downloads via Google. Anyone know which is the best?

OldG    3

Carol,I think the AC filter Solidwanut mentioned is a piece of hardware to condition/refine the power supply.. Puzzling that you get radio and phone line interference as well though - You aren't living near a transmitter or military installation?

carol m    64
Man this has to be either something painfully obvious or an amazing problem of stupendous porportions

Is there a way to post the sound of the beep itself?

Yes, it's on the first post of this thread. :)

carol m    64
Carol,I think the AC filter Solidwanut mentioned is a piece of hardware to condition/refine the power supply.. Puzzling that you get radio and phone line interference as well though - You aren't living near a transmitter or military installation?

We live in the inner west suburbs of Sydney, and 100 yards from the harbour, so it could be anything. Also the airport is on the other side of Sydney but their radar would be powerful. Also, all the radio towers, the mobile phone thingies, and now also the wireless internet receivers/transmitters spreading across the city. A military establishment on the same side as the airport plus weather radar towers and the radar of the naval base.

I'm thinking an ac filter may be the best hope!!:yes:

carol m    64
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well.

Here's an example:

Tripp Lite 1200-Watt Line Conditioner and Voltage Regulator

-tkr

That one costs $150 at an el-cheapo deal here in Oz!. There are lots of freeby downloads if you google 'ac filter' so I'll try one of them first.

Anyone have experience of which one is best (and safest to download)?

OldG    3

The software AC filters decode audio/video for your media player - not applicable here...

I would approach a friendly neighbour to see if your pc makes the same noises in a different house - then you'll know if its just your place or the general area that is affected

carol m    64
The software AC filters decode audio/video for your media player - not applicable here...

I'm not sure what that means Old G :dunno:

I can take the laptop to the library which is 1/2 a mile away. There I can test both with internet connected and without. Good idea, but what do I do if I have to move??????

OldG    3

Software AC filter is not for any power supply uses - only to make media compatible with AC3 video/audio codec ( usually used in DVD ripping).

If the problem only occurs at your house you can start with the electricity supplier (to check quality of supply) then look at suspect devices like aircon, heating timers ,etc for bad wiring or faults - do Aussie houses have to be earthed to ground like a UK one?

carol m    64

- do Aussie houses have to be earthed to ground like a UK one?

I have no idea, but now I have a few things to try. Maybe tomorrow I'll drive around with my laptop and a microphone and see what I can work out. Thanks for all your help everyone. It's greatly appreciated. :winkthumb:

Tekker    1
That one costs $150 at an el-cheapo deal here in Oz!.

That was just an example of what to look for, I'm sure you can find something much cheaper in your area.

-tkr

carol m    64

Thanks Tekker - do you think a voltage regulator would fix it? I have a surge protected power board and the house electricity has surge protection too.

carol m    64
I think your being watched & scanned by aliens.

Yes, that thought had occured to me too. I think its more likely to be ASIO - the Australian equivalent of the :eek: CIA

Tekker    1
Thanks Tekker - do you think a voltage regulator would fix it? I have a surge protected power board and the house electricity has surge protection too.

It could. I'm certainly no electrician, but I don't think surge protection actually filters and regulates the AC voltage. I believe all it does is just protect against large voltage spikes.

If you decide to go this route, just make that sure wherever you get it from has a good return policy in case it doesn't fix the problem.

-tkr

Doug    12

Hi Carol,

You say you didn't have the problem with the old computer. So either 1) the signal is being generated by the new computer, or 2) the signal is being made louder by the new computer, or 3) it is a coincidence and the signal started occurring when the new computer arrived.

So to see if the signal is coming from the new PC, do you still hear it on your telephone with the new PC turned off? If so, we've eliminated the PC.

Your tascam unit contains the analog to digital convertors and feeds the digitized signal into the computer where it is stored on the hard drive. If the beeping is in that recorded signal, that means it came from the tascam - not the PC. But the PC maybe be affecting the tascam electrically, though. Could be that the cables between the two boxes are forming a good antenna that picks up the signal where it is then digitzed in the tascam. That's what I'd bet on.

So, what to do? While listening on your headphones, try moving the cables around and see if the signal amplitude changes. If so, you may be able to arrange the cables to minimize the signal pickup. You can try electrically shielding the usb cable. Or try moving the tascam physically further away from your mac.

The AC filters mentioned by others may help as well, but you may want to purchase one from a local store that will let yu return it if it doesn't help. (As Tekker said previously.) The fact that you hear it on the phone makes me think it's not from the ac lines.

Good luck.

Sentry    0

Everyone, if it affects the radio and Mac, then it's not the PC. If it affects the phone, then it's not the AC line.

Carol, you said you got a new router when you got the new PC. You also said that your PC is connected wirelessly. Am I right in assuming you mean you got a new wireless router? If so, that could very well be causing the interference that affects the tascam, the Mac, the PC, the radio, and the phone. Try unplugging the wireless router. Not just turning it off, but unplugging it completely.

If this solves the problem, then you know it's the wireless. If so, you may be able to adjust the frequency that the wireless router operates on to find a frequency that doesn't cause interference. Maybe. Depends on the model. With Apple "Airport" base stations you can change the frequency, with some others you can, with some others you cannot. Consult your routers documentation and/or your tech.

If the router is not causing the problem, then try recording without the Tascam unit on your Mac using Garageband.

Yes, it's on the first post of this thread. :)

Ahhh Im fired

Periodic every 644 msec

Asymetrical, negative biased noise

Interesting!

What happens if neither the guitar or mic are plugged in?

carol m    64

OK, taking it step by step:

Doug -

I tried to hook up the old computer again to see if it was still beep free but it refused to connect to Windows even though it turned on. So I couldn't do that.

I know its not the new PC by itself because I get it on the Mac with the PC turned off.

Sentry: I'll try unplugging the router after everyone's gone to bed tonight (wouldn't want to cause a riot) and see if that makes a difference.

However......

I have good news! Over the weekend I did some serious and methodical investigations. Here's what I learned

With no Tascam plugged in to anything

Using PC with inbuilt soundcard and using mic-in direct- no beeps (but useless audio because of random buzzing interference and no volume).

Using Mac with inbuilt soundcard - no bleeps! And the sound better but not good enough really.

With Tascam plugged into Mac

Using Mac and mic plugged into tascam (with PC on as well):

mic off-no beeps.

Mic on......no beeps....how the heck did that happen????

With Tascam plugged into PC

Mic plugged in but not turned on - no beeps.

Mic on - beeps as usual.

But as I listened, they got feinter! And then almost disappeared.

Yesterday I took my Mac with Tascam plugged in, up and down the street and found the bleep everywhere.

I also got an ear-splitting high pitched tone whenever I turned on the mic. I thought it was coming from garageband through the earphones, until I took the earphones off and it was very loud coming from the Mac itself.

I tracked it down to happening only with using Real Instrument tracks only, and only with 'Monitor On' but then when I listened back to the recordings it was recorded as well (not surprisingly). I assume this was some sort of feedback, but today it is gone, even with 'monitor on' and the Tascam plugged in.

Conclusion: the bleeps are most likely the Tascam, but could also be some outside source that fluctuates randomly. It's weird though that the Tascam plus Mac didn't have beeps today when it always has had them before.

The Plan: set up the new (ebay) Digitech and see what happens with that.

I would like to thank again all of you who have plodded through this saga and come up with ideas all the time. It is greatly appreciated and at last I am gettting somewhere (hope it lasts!).

On now to new challenges as I grapple with the User Guide and try to set up the Digitech. (It would be nice to have time to play the guitar again...).

Thanks everyone. :grouphug: