danthelion

What is your favourite fingerstyle song? [Poll]

What is your favourite fingerstyle song?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is your favourite fingerstyle song?

• Classical Gas
    • Cavatina (Deer Hunter Theme)
    • Romanza (aka Spanish Ballad)
    • Greensleeves
    • Scarborough Fair
    • Dust in the Wind
    • Streets of London
    • Freight Train
    • Blackbird
    • Vincent (Starry, Starry Night)
    • Stairway to Heaven
    • Here Comes the Sun
    • Tears in Heaven
    • Girl From Ipanema
    • Take Five (Fingerstyle Jazz)
    • Mr Sandman (Chet Atkin's Style)
    • Nobody Loves You When You're Down & Out
    • Harry Lime Theme
    • Time in a Bottle
    • Other (Please specify)

My favourite style of guitar playing is fingerstyle or similar (chord melody, classical, etc...), so I am interested in knowing what others like. Please take a moment to take this poll & make a comment as to why you like what you do.

Dan :)

I think that Crosby, Stills & Nash's "Daylight Again/Find The Cost Of Freedom" is one of the most beautiful acoustic pieces around, along with William Ackerman's "The Bricklayer's Beautiful Daughter"...

"Classical Gas" - just awesome, and the really good thing about it is that it's easier to play than you think :)

I also love "This dragon won't sleep" by Don Ross.

Couldn't pick just one off of the list - had to go with "Stairway", "Time In A Bottle" and "Scarborough Fair". All great songs!

It's not listed in the poll, but "From the Beginning" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer is one of my absolute favorites.

Too many to name I think, though for starters Tommy Emmanuel's version of 'Michelle', Doyle Dykes 'Do'Rita Forever' and Chet's version of 'Vincent' would all rate pretty highly. Throw in some Laurence Juber, Martin Taylor and Tuck Andress and you have all my 'top shelf' players. I tend to think in terms of artists/albums rather than songs.

I just cant deside... But if I had to chose, I would have to say "Twelve Sticks"(or AKA I didnt want to join the band or AKA the boy was kissing th girl and playing the guitar at the same time... ya) NEver get tired of it, makes me want to dance every time I hear it.

Its by the Reverend(or blind) gary davis, greatist guitarist of all time. He was blind, poor, never had lessons and only picked with two fingers but got more sound out of his guitar more then any other artist I ever heard. Just amazing.

The first time I heard The Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits I was completely blown away. I'd never heard anything like it before and still get goose bumps when I hear it.

The first time I heard The Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits I was completely blown away. I'd never heard anything like it before and still get goose bumps when I hear it.

Theres finger style in that song?

If your talking about the sweet lead in that song, thats not finger style. Its just called "lead":winkthumb: . A finger style song has the player uses there fingers, not a pick, and theres useally a bass line played at the same time theres a lead with one guitar. Its more of a old time style, not heard much in your pop rock music. But assumeing you listen to that type of music from that era, neil young's "needle and the damage done" is a great example of a traditional style of a finger style playing.

The pick part wasent my main point, lead guitarist could use there bare fingers like, for example, Hubert Sumlin and Albert Collins played lead with there bare fingers. gives it a softer more brisk sound.

Most of the lessons on this site are finger style lessons.

But Im not trying to create a argument... Just saying what I think I know. Im always happy to be corrected when I'm wrong.

:cowboy: