danthelion

"Ralph McTell's 100 Easy Tunes for Guitar" video.

Some may remember that Kirk told us about this sometime ago in another thread. I have posted it in it's own, so as not to give away what to expect.

This took a bit of finding, after hours of searching the net I found the name of it, it was on the "French & Saunders" show in 1990 [Dawn French (the judge) & Jennifer Saunders (stenographer & voice of 'fairy godmother' in 'Shrek 2')].

Did another search to find that you can't buy this on DVD or Video, then searched every avenue that I knew to see if I could find someone who had it on video, after weeks found it & had it couriered to my place, converted it to mpeg then to wmv. The quality is low due to reduction in size, but I hope you enjoy it.

This proves one of two things, 1) if you are really determined you can make things happen, or 2) I have too much time on my hands.

Dan:)

Ralph McTell's 100 Easy Tunes for Guitar.wmv

Absolutely hilarious. Don't know how they all managed to keep a straight whilst face doing it! They all sounded so innocent and convincing. :clap:

John

what was that piece that ralph mctell played?

http://www.ralphmctell.co.uk/music/street_clp/01_Streets.mp3

"Streets of London" is a fingerstyle standard, almost up there with 'Classical Gas', almost. ;) It was Ralph McTell's biggest hit & became a bit of an albatross for him, eclipsing everything else he did, there is even another tv skit about that, but I haven't seen it.

Something I have just learnt that amazed me, is that the verse of 'Streets' has the same chord progression as Canon by Pachebell ("I V vi iii IV I IV V"), try it play a recording of Canon & you can almost hear 'Streets'.

Anyway happy you all enjoyed it, thanks to Kirk for telling us about it.

Dan :)

Thank you for the video. Had me in stitches.

About "streets.." I saw a concert on tv a couple of decades ago with McTell. He made fun of that song and the way it apparently was a bit of a crux for him.

He said "And now I´m going to play a medley of my greatest hits Streets of London...."

A few seconds later the audience laughed at that joke and then, of course, he played the song.

I made the mistake of showing the video to some of my guitar playing co-workers....They being professionals, they now claim to be unable to work on anything that "hasn't got the dots"!

Thanks for sharing, it's been a lot of fun around here today.

Thanks for converting it, Danthelion - I've seen it before, but that one's a KEEPER! :yes: Very funny, and they got a lot of great talent on that skit!