Birddog

Looking hard at a Epi SG Std, S.O.R

This past week I turned yet another year older (41 ) and my family took me up to the local Guitar Center to graze as I asked . I went easy and just picked out a couple tab books for now- one was ZZ Top Anthology ,the other a Southern Rock with a playalong CD. Good rockin tunes there all around. But as I wandered the red carpeted floor of the GC, I had my eyes and repeatedly had my hands on 3 different SG models more than 3 times each- one was the faded cherry Gib,which actually looked cheap compared to the other 2 ,which were both Epi's one 310 and 400 models . Browsing through my latest GC catalog I notice they offer for sale a School Of Rock edition Epi SG Std for a price within my budget .Not that I care that its the S.O.R edition - but the overall finish really caught my eye. I don't want a solid paint job , more like a see through pigment or clear stain which it appears to have. Anyone play one ,own one ?- need an honest opinion. What tuners are on it , is the bridge ok, and how are the alnico humbuckers? Anything I need to "watch out for "? Wondering if I buy this , will I be happy with it without too much ...hot rodding or customizing.

Thanks guys and gals.

This past week I turned yet another year older (41 ) and my family took me up to the local Guitar Center to graze as I asked . I went easy and just picked out a couple tab books for now- one was ZZ Top Anthology ,the other a Southern Rock with a playalong CD. Good rockin tunes there all around. But as I wandered the red carpeted floor of the GC, I had my eyes and repeatedly had my hands on 3 different SG models more than 3 times each- one was the faded cherry Gib,which actually looked cheap compared to the other 2 ,which were both Epi's one 310 and 400 models . Browsing through my latest GC catalog I notice they offer for sale a School Of Rock edition Epi SG Std for a price within my budget .Not that I care that its the S.O.R edition - but the overall finish really caught my eye. I don't want a solid paint job , more like a see through pigment or clear stain which it appears to have. Anyone play one ,own one ?- need an honest opinion. What tuners are on it , is the bridge ok, and how are the alnico humbuckers? Anything I need to "watch out for "? Wondering if I buy this , will I be happy with it without too much ...hot rodding or customizing.

Thanks guys and gals.

Hi Bird dog

I was wandering is the epi sg an american made. I have played on a korean made one and they are top notch , I have also tried the chinese made epi's and well for the price now what they want because ( every one knows these days chinese guitar are good) I would pay the extra to get a korean made, the workmanship is so much of a higher quality. but any case its all what makes you happy.

Well to make a long story short - I asked about it , saw it ,felt it in my hand and put $100 down on it , I'll probably pick it up on Thursday after work . As far as I can see its a exact copy of a Gibson Std with the bigger pickguard . Heritage Cherry finish , Grover tuners , yes its made in China but its a limited edition from the Epiphone custom shop and they only had this one and no one in the store even knew one existed til I asked about it and they found it on the store inventory computer. Tell ya's more about it when i pick it up.

Well to make a long story short - I asked about it , saw it ,felt it in my hand and put $100 down on it , I'll probably pick it up on Thursday after work . As far as I can see its a exact copy of a Gibson Std with the bigger pickguard . Heritage Cherry finish , Grover tuners , yes its made in China but its a limited edition from the Epiphone custom shop and they only had this one and no one in the store even knew one existed til I asked about it and they found it on the store inventory computer. Tell ya's more about it when i pick it up.

Hi Birddog

As you notice I said Chinese guitars are good these days. So I am sure you will enjoy your new guitar. Korean made ones are more expensive and if you ever have the chance to compare them I'm

sure you'd still be happy with the chinese made one.

Congrats...........your gonna love it. :)

Those SG's are sweet.

I have a Epi Les Paul Plus top made in China and its a great guitar. The workmanship is top notch. I couldnt find any fault with it and it sounds great.

SlickCat ,A couple friends of mine have said this and I think I kind of have to agree with them to a certain extent- Nowadays the guitars made overseas are most likely made with some sort of jig for consistent mass production and probably computer driven to cut them out and fit the electronics . I think it would be tough to find a(an overseas made) guitar out there today thats not at least twice as good as a guitar made say...30 or 40 yrs ago, but I'm sure others will argue with me on that and with good reason.

When I tried it out , although it did need a good set up , it felt very tightly made and sounded very nice. I just had a really good feeling about it whereas the others I looked at that resembled it had a certain "cheapness " about them when placed side by side. I'm a carpenter by trade and the workmanship on this just made me appreciate it, very clean ,meat and potatoes with "a little gravy":winkthumb: . As I said , I'll let y'all know more when I pick it up later this week...that is if I can put it down long enough to post back:smilinguitar:

Congrats...........your gonna love it. :)

Those SG's are sweet.

I have a Epi Les Paul Plus top made in China and its a great guitar. The workmanship is top notch. I couldnt find any fault with it and it sounds great.

Congrats on your new SG, Birddog!

I recently bought an Epi Les Paul plus top (cherryburst), and am very pleased with it also. I played several of them at GC before I chose this one, and none of them showed any noticeable quality control issues or faults, other than one with volume/tone knobs that were on the shafts slightly crooked. This is the first Epi I've owned, and while I've never been a big Epiphone fan in the past, I have to say that I'm impressed with it.