UncleTupelo

Audacity and Mixer Problem

Hello,

I am having a few problems and I was wondering if anyone could help.:helpsmili

I have brought a Behringer UB802 Mixer and have connected my Guitar (Rickenbacker 360) to the Line In 1 Port. I have then taken another cable from thge Main Out (Left) socket on the Mixer and run this through directly to the line in on my soundcard on my laptop. I am using Audacity on the laptop.

The problem I get is an inordinate amount of crackle when trying to record. In fact when not even touching the guitar the recording will be crackling away.

If I ditch the Mixer and go stright from Guitar to Laptop all seems ok (albeit quiet). Am I doing something heinously wrong here? The (few) recordings I have mucked about with seem a lot worse for going through a mixer!

I brought the mixer because I thought it would improve the sound and the way I controlled it. I also thought the recording would be slightly louder because I needed a pre-amp and that the mixer would come with one..but to be honest I'm not sure what a pre-amp is or does, and I can't see anything on the mixer (apart from on the microphone slot) that indicates there is a pre-amp with this anyway.

I have read the manual but am still none the wiser. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mat

Really just guessing but the logic of what you are saying suggests a fault in the mixer or the connector cable to me. Have you tried moving whatever controls, slides or pots the mixer has, 'jiggling' the connections and other such high tech. solutions to see if the interference changes at all? Does it use a battery? As far as I understand, a pre-amp just matches input and output impedances but if it's overall effect is to amplify whatever signal goes through it, the mixer might be simply amplifying a noise source which is there all the time, but not loud enough to be audible with your direct laptop connection. You have to try to isolate the fault. :)

John

Hey Uncle,

Cables. Most likely a funkly cable or the guitar jack itself is whacked. I get it all the time. A jiggle on the cable and, poof, it's gone. Unless you know for a fact the cables are new or righteous, thats what I'd be looking at.

I run my electrics (btw they are a Ricky 360/12 :) FireGlo and Fender Strat) through a Line6 Pod ( amp modeler ) and into a Behringer EU1202. Nearly every crackle I get is caused by cabling or loose jack. The Line6, though, has a noise gate which alleviates a lot of extraneous static/crackly symptoms. Also, if you have a Rickster with the extra jack, Rick-O-Sound, be sure you are plugged into the Standard jack and not the Rick-O-Sound. Never use the Rick-O-Sound unless you have the right gear. ( see www.rickenbacker.com )

If you'd like detail on how I have my Behringer/Line6 kit set up to the computer, just let me know.

Les

Uncle,

btw... I've been using Audacity for a long while now, and rarely is Audacity at fault. Although, the lastest 1.3 Windows port has a few quirks to deal with. Seems like the 1.24 Version was more stable.

Les

Cheers for all the help folks.

I think it was a cabling issues as I purchased a "double RCA to a stereo mini jack" and used the Tape Out connections instead and this seemed to solve the problem.

Now if I fiddle around with the gain knobs and master knobs I can get a fairly good sound (although if I turn the knobs too far I get all crackle and no guitar - but I guess that is the point of the mixer, to adjust it until you get the best sound)!

Les, first off I wish I had brough the 12 string model! And secondly - since I am cadging knowledge - what does a Line6 Pod (amp modeler) do and should I get one?!

Thanks again:clap:

The Line6 emulates a number of different amps and tones. Like the Rickenbackers for example. If you want the 60's sound, the Line6 can emulate a Vox amp with a Compressor and blam, your sounding just like Roger McGuinn.

BUt it emulates much more, like Fender amps, Marshall and the like. Plus, through the Pod, you can add the "crunchy sound", flanger, delays, the nice "telecaster twang"...

Here's the web site ... http://line6.com/

If you're interested, you can get them @ musiciansfriend.com ..... or check with your local gear shop. But if you scarf one, go for the XT model.... ;)

Les