JessThrasher

Need help getting started in jazz solos

Yes, I do infact. Every one i try to play sounds all "scaley". Infact so scaly it sounds like a fish! Just kidding!

I tried afew Django Rienhardt licks but thats about it. I dun really know where to start!

Django played through chords jess. Just do as Kirk keeps saying. Hit the chord tones hard and the extensions that define the chord. The other notes are filler. The ear wants to hear notes in the context of the underlying chord progression. :)

I have just started down that path also so I am only a novice, but here's my 2 cents:

Jamey Aebersold series of jazz books are good. There is a free "Jazz Handbook" that can be downloaded from the Jamey Aebersold Jazz, Inc. site. Look under the "Free Jazz" tab.

If you sound too "scalely", then don't play scales. Do a solo using only the 3rd of each chord and just vary the rhythm. (Your playing jazz so keep thinking, dotted quarter 8th note, Do Dah, Do Dah,... ) Then start adding chord tones, possible order- the 7th, 5th, root, and extensions 9th, 13th.

Robert

I've had a hard time with this, too. I've tried chord tones, scales, blues scales, modals and pentatonics. One way or another I seem to do okay within one chord, but when the chords change I'm totally lost. At that point I try to fake it somewhat, and the results aren't pretty!

papadog, you've got to be able to 'see' those chord changes way in advance. While you dealing with the chord that's in play now, you also got to have part of your brain anticipating the next chord so you can make the switch to the new array of chord tones. Your hand/finger muscles almost have to feel the change in advance so that when it does come it's a smooth transition to the new environment. Thinking ahead is never mentioned enough when it comes to playing an instrument.

Kirk, thanks for the comments. I'm still working on trying to see patterns, and I'll also work on that concept of looking ahead. Sounds like it's time for some mind-set changes and some shifts in practice habits.

I've had a hard time with this, too. I've tried chord tones, scales, blues scales, modals and pentatonics. One way or another I seem to do okay within one chord, but when the chords change I'm totally lost. At that point I try to fake it somewhat, and the results aren't pretty!
I'm still working on trying to see patterns, and I'll also work on that concept of looking ahead. Sounds like it's time for some mind-set changes and some shifts in practice habits.

Kirk probably won't say it, so I will - sounds like it's time for Plane Talk! :yes: From your two posts above, it seems that you're right at that place where PT would open a lot of doors for you.