poodlesrule

Rosewood fretboard more beginner-friendly..?

Beginner shopping around for first modern-era (!) electric, wonders if a rosewood fretboard is more beginner-friendly than a maple one.

I am thinking that maybe rosewood is less demanding, at least when starting out from scratch.

...True?

It is understood that finer distinctions will be experienced by the seasoned player, brighter, warmer, etc... but some of us are not there yet!

EDIT: What about fret size?

I'd say it's more about how the neck feels to your hand, rather than which wood is used...

The only difference I can think of is some maple boards are heavily varnished - which can take a bit of getting used to.

For me,it goes in this order when choosing a guitar with a choice of boards.

1. feel ( playability and profile - too skinny don't suit me)

2. sound (any sonic differences between the two - maple Strats do it for me on tone)

3.looks (what do you think suits that particular guitar?)

As for jumbo frets , they will make fretting easier initially but you need to be consistently even and light or you can sharpen the note with too much pressure Electrics tend to come with light 9 guage strings fitted - with 9's I have a tendency tend to push notes sharp with my bass playing manual worker fingers...

I find the vintage frets on my Strat suit me better - but my shredder son prefers the jumbos on his B.C Rich for feel and speed.

Go play in a big music store - the guitar will likely choose you, anyways :)

OldG is right. You gotta feel the guitar that is right for you and it will pick you. Generally speaking, Maple is more mellow, Rosewood is the do everything and Ebony is bright because it is a very hard wood. You could also argue that maple sounds more mellow because the frets are mounted directly into the neck vs a seperate piece (finger board) in most cases.

...It is understood that finer distinctions will be experienced by the seasoned player, brighter, warmer, etc... but some of us are not there yet!...

Which is exactly why I would contend that it makes no difference for a beginner. I have both, and can't say there's a marked difference in feel, or how "demanding" they are when playing. I notice the profile of the neck and the radius of the fretboard much more than I do the fretboard material.

I'm admittedly not a "seasoned player", but I don't notice differences in "brightness" or "warmth" between them either. I think pickups and amp choice make a much bigger difference in this regard than a fretboard ever could.

I may be in the minority, but I think there's a lot of voodoo and marketing mumbo-jumbo over a lot of these things. Either I'm tone-deaf or some people have ears like dogs, but there are a lot of subtle differences that I think are noticed much more in the mind than they actually are in the ears....or maybe they're just not noticeable until you reach a much higher level of expertise and discernment than I'm at. :dunno:

I may be in the minority, but I think there's a lot of voodoo and marketing mumbo-jumbo over a lot of these things. Either I'm tone-deaf or some people have ears like dogs, but there are a lot of subtle differences that I think are noticed much more in the mind than they actually are in the ears

Spot on Stratrat! And even if the differences are discernable, there's no saying which is the better sound. It's all in the ears of the beholder. So when the discussion is over, and the experts decide which is the "best" sounding guitar, will we all run out and buy one of those? Nope ... we'll buy the one we like the sound of.

I think we spend far too much time talking about something purely subjective, and too little time making music.

...I think we spend far too much time talking about something purely subjective, and too little time making music.

Well said, Karcey. I kind of miss the days when I was 16 years old, playing a cheap foreign plywood strat copy through a department-store solid state amp and a couple of mass-produced stomps. I didn't know anything about intonation or setups, fancy tonewoods, boutique pedals, amps or pickups, high-end triple-shielded/gold-plated cables or any of that stuff - but I had a grin a mile wide every time I played and my buddies and I spent all of our time jamming instead of obsessing over such things! :yes:

Voodoo? Perhaps. I tend to think of it as religion.

I don't think the fingerboard material will make any difference to a beginner. It makes no difference to me and I've been playing 35 years or so. I have guitars with ebony, rosewood and maple fingerboards. The playability is the setup and neck shape - not the fingerboard material. Fret size and shape will affect it more, but even that is a minor consideration for a beginner. It matters more when you can decide which is better for your style.