JessThrasher

The Ibanez owner's club

ratiugsj    0

I have 12 Ibanez guitars. Eight JS models. Two 540 R models (the JS line was based on these), 1 early 80's Roadstar II (my first), and a Ibanez Talman accoustic. Two of the JS model have a fixed bridges and the rest have trems. I just posted a thread with all of my JS models and another with my newest JS. A 90th with a great story on how I was able to finally get it. You might say I like Ibanez. I've always considered myself a player rather than a collector but I believe I crossed that line about 10 guitars ago.

Cheers, Jeff

scotty_b    16
I don't have an Ibanez, but how does the Floyd Rose floating bridge affect the sound? I assume sound is its selling point as everyone complains about tuning them?

Also, a shorter scale length: does this mean the frets are closer making it easier to do long stretches?

The Floyd setup probably reduces some sustain, but most guitars using one more than compensate for that by choice of pickups.

The advantage of the Floyd Rose system is being able to use the whammy bar in both directions without the tuning problems the strat bridge setup will cause.

carol m    64
The Floyd setup probably reduces some sustain, but most guitars using one more than compensate for that by choice of pickups.

The advantage of the Floyd Rose system is being able to use the whammy bar in both directions without the tuning problems the strat bridge setup will cause.

Thanks for the info Scotty.

thodwris    1

One picture,a thousand words,the RG 1570-SDB...

7583.attach

I am very proud to be in the club boys and girls!I just might give this one away though for an RG-2550Z!I just have to know how this baby will sound with the DiMarzio's on :yes: !!

All the best,

Theo

thodwris    1

I have the Edge Pro Tremolo and so far I can't say I have had problems.The guitar is flawless and my biggest regret is that I dodn't go for the 2550.I just couldn't wait and now I am paying the price...I saw yours on the web and on a picture on one of your gigs.It looks very lovely!I always liked Ibanez guitars for their unique shape.Do you see difference in sound between your guitar and the 1570?A friend of mine has a 2550 and the Di Marzio's make a great difference...Anyway,have fun with your beautiful instrument.Maybe you will post something for us to listen to in the Members Recordings someday :winkthumb: ...Be always welll...

All the best,

Theo

Mushroony    0
Hy guys! I'm looking for a proffesional opinion. Here's the deal. I'm looking to buy an IBANEZ RG320 FM with EMG 81-85 pickups for 570,- USD (secondhand). So... What do you think? To buy or not to buy that is the question.

No!

New, an RG350 costs only 399$. A set EMG's cost 150$ new. That makes 549$ NEW!!!

This is a huge ripoff.

That guitar is worth approx. 350$ second hand AT MOST.

Hi folks just browsed through some posts and i wanted to respond to something. Ibanez does not use floyd rose trems , they have there own bridges, and in my opinion they are superior in some ways. For example, ibanez trems let you keep the ball ends on your strings . no cutting required. this enables much faster string changes. also the edge pro trems have a tension adjuster wheel in the back.

I have a rg 2610 prestige on layaway and it is incredible. high quality killer tone and simple. also ibanez five piece wizard necks are very thin. very fast. my other axes are an epiphone les paul standard and an american tele. i play hard rock and metal. the ibanez will be my #1 the others for recording and backup. i recommend them highly, lots of features and not alot of cash. i got mine for $899. and its superior to imported jacksons, riches,and even esp in fit and finish.

hope this is useful:smilinguitar:

Noodler    1

Hi and welcome powerchorde.

I always asumed they used Floyd-Roses because I'm from the 80's and Steve Vai was like the poster-boy for Ibanez. I am 99% sure that when I see him with a guitar it's got a locking nut, etc. and it definitely has the fine-tuners at the bridge end, including sunken in sections behind each one. Then there's that link to the movie Crossroads I posted...

I'm a bit confused...

See for yourself and tell me what you think:

YouTube - Crossroads guitar battle

Or even clearer, since he still uses them and has a signature model...

Not saying you're wrong, but if that's not a Floyd-Rose, why not?

Yeah for sure. they do resemble floyds but take a closer look and you'll see it says edge or edge 3 or something like that mine is an edge pro. the older models im not sure of but all ive seen have factory made systems. they have at least three models of trems.if you go to ibanez .com i know they list all the specs. but like i said they do have advantages over the "licenced floyds" those are notoriously difficult to restring and to initially tune. i like not cutting the ends off the strings the feed conventionally and you just clamp the blocks on the bridge. way way better. and thank you for the welcome. happy to participate.

hi noodler, i just checked ibanez web site. the jem or steve vai model definately has an edge pro trem. there is also the edge 3 and others.

also i also grew up in the 80s i began playing bass at 14 then switched to lead 3 years ago. im obsessed with it. (just a little background) but yeah, ibanez actually kinda brags about their bridges on the website.

Noodler    1

Well that's an education (thanks). I thought there were really just a few types of trems eg Strat type, floating strat type, Bigsby, Floyd Rose. If I've ever seen a guitar with a locking nut and tuners on the bridge, I've always just assumed it was a Floyd-Rose-type, in the way that my Ibanez has a Bigsby-type trem. So I just learned something new.

I've got a bass question for you but I'll start a new thread so I don't hijack this thread. It'll be "recommend me a bass and amp."

Here's a link to the new thread. Please reply.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/guitar-gear/23530-recommend-me-bass-amp-eq/#post239525

MunkyJunky    0

I bought my first Ibby yesterday its a RG170DX in candy apple red

Its so good i walked into the shop played it for 20 mins and walked away with it, such a good guitar and a bit of tonal contrast from my Epiphone les paul.

lorsban    2
One picture,a thousand words,the RG 1570-SDB...

[ATTACH]7583[/ATTACH]

I am very proud to be in the club boys and girls!I just might give this one away though for an RG-2550Z!I just have to know how this baby will sound with the DiMarzio's on :yes: !!

All the best,

Theo

Hey Theo!

You have got one AWESOME guitar, my friend!

My first guitar was an Ibanez RG470, which I sold a while back, I really really miss it. It was too much guitar for me back then, the trem just gave me too many problems. Needless to say, I wish I never sold it. It was a sweet sounding, sweet playing performance guitar.

fly135    5

I just became a member of the Ibanez club last week. I bought this Ibanez SZ520 for $100 off Craigslist. It didn't work so I checked out the wiring and found that someone had tried to repair the input jack connection and there was a big solder blob shorting out the signal and ground. Fixed that, cleaned the fretboard, put on a new set of strings, and adjusted the action a bit higher. Plays great!

9088.attach

lorsban    2

Hey guys,

Traded in one of my guitars, the one I use the least, for an RG350DX! Very nice guitar! Fun to play and all that. Plus, since its white, it wouldn't be too weird playing it in gigs where the music is more pop oriented rather than rock or metal. The previous owner hardly used it after owning it for a year and you could even see little bits of plastic still sticking around the screws and tuning hardware. Cool thing is, the guy I traded with wanted exactly my guitar and I wanted an RG. Gotta love the net!

RG, in my opinion, is still the quintesential Ibanez. Definitely glad to have one again.

regards,

lorsban

lorsban    2

Just finished setting up my SZ 4020 and man, I didn't know how far off the old setup had been! Manual states 2mm bass side and 1.5mm treble at 14th fret action, mine was at 1.5 and 1.2! No wonder I wasn't getting the sustain I wanted, especially when you consider that this is a neck-thru. Pickups fared no better, being too near or far from the strings - recommended range is 2-3mm. Intonation was also quite bad being sharp on all strings!

Again, since setup is generally a snap on these guitars, I was able to put everything back to what's recommended and all I can say is WOW! I can't believe I've been missing out all these years! Goes to show how important proper setup is.

So, to my other Ibanez club and other guitar buddies, please go get yourself a proper measuring tool and start fixing your setups pronto! You will not believe the difference!