JessThrasher

The Ibanez owner's club

JessThrasher    10

I know I had a similar thread like this long time ago. I thought i'd revise it and give it a new "cool" title. So, owners alike here can tell each other what you own and feel free to express your opinion on them too!

I have an RG370DX and an S470DX. Love them both although the RG has been very troublesome and the S needs a setup. It hasen't had one since it got shipped on a plane and in the back of a UPS truck. I was thinking of doing it myself or getting my friend to do it (he knows what hes doing).

Noodler    1

Got an Artcore.

Loooove it.

Mine is a lighter blue than this. It is a great ax. Shorter scale than Fender-style guitars.

Not what you think of when you think Ibanez, eh?

7259.attach

JessThrasher    10
Yo!

Haha, im another proud owner of my beloved Ibanez talman (acoustic-electric guitar)

I just love the shape of those...But it kinda looks like a knockoff of the Fender stratacoustic.

lorsban    2

Hello guys,

I love Ibanez. My friends hate the brand but who cares?

The RG470dx was my first electric guitar. After a few years I sold it since I got tired of all the tuning/restringing issues. Later, I got an SA120 or is it a 160 (not so sure now, it's the one with a humbucker and single coil), next I got an SZ320 and finally an SZ 4020 Prestige.

For the money, these guitars are tough to beat. They're performance guitars with a focus on playability over anything else. A lot slam them for their sound but that's easily remedied with new pups and updated electronics. At the core, they all generally have great feeling necks. That's what I find is the most important over anything else. I'll take a great neck over a nice finish/nice pickup set anytime.

lorsban

rwjones3    0

Saw the thread title and though to myself I don't own a shredder guitar. Then it dawned on me that my big Jazz box, Artcore AK75, is an Ibanez.

So my take is Ibanez makes very resonable priced (cheap but good quality) copies of standard guitars. My guitar is basically a Gibson ES175 clone at fraction of the cost of a real Gibson.

Ibanez seems to stand on its own merits when it comes to the shredder type of guitars. Evolving from the orginal Jackson clones.

JessThrasher    10
Saw the thread title and though to myself I don't own a shredder guitar. Then it dawned on me that my big Jazz box, Artcore AK75, is an Ibanez.

So my take is Ibanez makes very resonable priced (cheap but good quality) copies of standard guitars. My guitar is basically a Gibson ES175 clone at fraction of the cost of a real Gibson.

Ibanez seems to stand on its own merits when it comes to the shredder type of guitars. Evolving from the orginal Jackson clones.

They are infact more known for htier shredder guitars than really anything else.

I really love the innovative design of the S470 or any other S models.

Noodler    1

Yeah, the first thing when I think of Ibanez is Steve Vai at the end of the movie Crossroads playing his red one. Picks it up and starts shaking it by the whammy bar. They've got that 20th Anniversary see-through glow in the dark one out. One day I'll get a shredder Ibanez with the Floyd Rose.

JessThrasher    10
Yeah, the first thing when I think of Ibanez is Steve Vai at the end of the movie Crossroads playing his red one. Picks it up and starts shaking it by the whammy bar. They've got that 20th Anniversary see-through glow in the dark one out. One day I'll get a shredder Ibanez with the Floyd Rose.

Get ready for the hell known as string changes and intonation problems! I've been there, done that!

carol m    64

I don't have an Ibanez, but how does the Floyd Rose floating bridge affect the sound? I assume sound is its selling point as everyone complains about tuning them?

Also, a shorter scale length: does this mean the frets are closer making it easier to do long stretches?

Noodler    1

For me (and I don't own one), the point of a Floyd Rose is for tuning stability when you do tricks. You know, the motorcycle sounds at the start of Kickstart My Heart by Motley Crue, making the guitar laugh, stuff like that. Dive bombs, using the whammy to raise the pitch, more extreme whammy sounds, etc. If I try any of that stuff on my Strat copy, it'd be out of tune in a second. I don't even usually bother leaving the whammy bar on my "strat."

So far as I can tell, scale length does two big things. One is that shorter scale lengths (eg Les Pauls, my Ibanez Artcore) have the strings under a bit less tension. But other (and more important) is that the guitar feels shorter. ie Fingering that F Barre chord is not so far away. Feels like the ax has been sawn off! Going from Fender to my Artcore is like they've sawn off the first fret of the guitar and started from there!

The frets being closer together hasn't made a huge difference to strectching to notes that I've noticed, but the shorter scale length brands tend to have different inlays (eg block inlays). They just feel sooooo different. Very much a taste thing.

cush66    0

To the Ibby Club members...WHERES THE PICS :dunno:

Carol: The FR System is usually used with a Locking Nut. What happens is once in tune the strings are locked at the nut and bridge thereby not allowing the strings to go out of tune. One the bridge of the FR system are fine tuners which allow for fine tuning after everything is locked down. Most people make the mistake and have problems because they tune down instead of up. On the FR system when you get close, you only tune up (sharp) not flat that way the strings wont go out of tune when playing because of the way they were stretched. When I first played on one I tried tuning the guitar not knowing the nut was a locking nut (never heard of one before) so I broke strings because I was tightening strings from between the nut and the tuners...DUH!!! Talk about feeling dumb LOL!! :crying2:

Noodler: On my 08 Strat, it does not go out of tune when going crazy on the whammy bar. Most Fenders stay in tune with the 2 point whammy.

Noodler    1
so I broke strings because I was tightening strings from between the nut and the tuners...DUH!!!

Hehe. That's a funny story! :yes: I think we've all done something like that.

My "strat" isn't a real Fender Stratocaster, just a good "lawsuit" copy. To be truthful, it just kept going out of tune and I took out the whammy bar years ago. I don't know much about Strat whammys, so I don't know what mine has except it has 3 springs and it hasn't been blocked.

carol m    64

This is not really on topic, but lately when I find a string slightly sharp, I don't loosen the peg (which often makes the string too flat) I just grab the string in my fingers and stretch it a little. This brings it back into tune, and helps reduce the time it takes for the early stretching that strings go through when new.

lorsban    2

About string stretching, Planet Waves has this great tool that's got a string winder, string cutter and stretcher all in one package. Definitely helpful!

JessThrasher    10
To the Ibby Club members...WHERES THE PICS :dunno:

Carol: The FR System is usually used with a Locking Nut. What happens is once in tune the strings are locked at the nut and bridge thereby not allowing the strings to go out of tune. One the bridge of the FR system are fine tuners which allow for fine tuning after everything is locked down. Most people make the mistake and have problems because they tune down instead of up. On the FR system when you get close, you only tune up (sharp) not flat that way the strings wont go out of tune when playing because of the way they were stretched. When I first played on one I tried tuning the guitar not knowing the nut was a locking nut (never heard of one before) so I broke strings because I was tightening strings from between the nut and the tuners...DUH!!! Talk about feeling dumb LOL!! :crying2:

Noodler posted a pic. I've posted the pic of both my Ibbys on here before. Love em both lots!

I broke a string like that too! Trying to do an "open string bend" the way country players (and afew blues guys) do it! I guess we all have the time to be ignorant at one time!

Noodler    1

I had a go of one of those today. Very comfortable guitars to play. Love the inlay too.

How do you find the bass string projection?

What's it like for bends?

The guitar rocks, a couple adjustments, and your off. Also the right strings help. The only bad thing is trying to stand stand up and play no top strap peg. Unless you tie off on the headstock. I hate that look.

Noodler    1
The guitar rocks, a couple adjustments, and your off. Also the right strings help. The only bad thing is trying to stand stand up and play no top strap peg. Unless you tie off on the headstock. I hate that look.

I simply got one added to my acoustic. You could DIY, but I don't like the thought of screwing it up. The pin only costs $5.

I know what you mean about that look. It screams that you should be singing, "this land is your land, this land is my land..."