Tekker

Computer Gurus Needed - Sound Card Problem

Tekker    1
I haven't installed mine yet, you're giving me nightmares, way out of my league, hope you can find a solution Tekker:winkthumb:

Thanks, me too. :yes:

I wouldn't worry about it too much just yet, remember the Q10 worked fine on my old computer and others on the Aardvark yahoo group said they have used it under both SP2 and SP3 with no problems. It seems to be on a computer by computer basis, but why it chose my new computer to stop working I don't know.... :dunno:

-tkr

OldG    3

Just looked at my BIOS... same thing here, can't find a way of manually setting - just the PCI/ISA switch.

I did however find that I can disable COM1(IRQ3) and COM2(IRQ4) as well as the parallel port (IRQ7)...

That's up to 3 physical IRQ's that could be auto-reallocated on reboot.... feeling lucky?

Tekker    1

I disabled the serial port and the parallel port, but the IRQ's didn't change. The Aardvark is still at IRQ 79 on my XP installation for testing. Also, the Q10 controller has a yellow exclamation mark by it, which would explain why it's not loading at all. I don't know what is different about the MPS setting, but apparently the Aardvark doesn't like it. :dunno:

I've tried reloading the Aardvark driver, but no luck getting the yellow exclamation point to go away.

-tkr

OldG    3

Hmmm.. try a reload of XP in ACPI multiprocessor mode - with 3 pyhsical IRQ's to be reallocated you could well get one for the Q10.

Tekker    1

I only had one serial port and one parallel port to disable, so I disabled them and reinstalled using the normal ACPI multiprocessor mode.

The Q10 was still at IRQ 17 after installing the driver and I kind of assumed that it wouldn't work like before, but I went ahead and installed Samplitude to test it out and I'm glad I did... I don't know how or why, but it is working now! :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh:

I tested a few old projects that didn't work before and they are now working perfectly with multiprocessor and the Q10's ASIO driver.

So I guess the trick was to disable the other ports and then completely reinstall windows. Now I just hope it still works after reinstalling XP again. I have to reinstall XP for my main computer use and also for my music installation because I want to use the stripped down XP SP3 (from the Reaper forum) for my music.

Here are my latest IRQ settings for comparison. The only thing that appears to have changed is the com port IRQ 4 is gone. So there must have been something else under the hood that was causing problems, because everything else is on the exact same IRQ.

(ISA) 0 High precision event timer

(ISA) 6 Standard floppy disk controller

(ISA) 8 High precision event timer

(ISA) 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System

(ISA) 13 Numeric data processor

(ISA) 14 Primary IDE Channel

(ISA) 15 Secondary IDE Channel

(PCI) 16 VIA Chrome9 HC IGP

(PCI) 17 Aark 24, Aark 20/20+ or Direct Pro Q10

(PCI) 17 Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio

(PCI) 20 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

(PCI) 21 Standar Dual Channel PCI IDE Coontroller

(PCI) 21 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

(PCI) 21 VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

(PCI) 22 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

(PCI) 23 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

(PCI) 23 VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

(PCI) 27 VIA PCI to PCI Bridge Controller

(PCI) 31 VIA PCI to PCI Bridge Controller

I don't ever use the com or printer port, so I am leaving both disabled.

Thanks again OldG, you have no idea how much I appreciate all your help. You stuck around and kept coming up with more and more ideas long after everyone else on all the other forums I posted on had completely given up. :clap:

I'll post an update when I get both XP installations up and running, which may not be for a few days because I am more than tired of working on this thing for the moment. ;)

-tkr

Nutty    1

Yeah for OldG and Tekker!!

This thread is way over my head and might as well been written in a foreign language. But I was so intrigued by the way you worked back and forth and got this worked out. Amazing. I love this forum. And I'm so glad that you are "back in business" Tekker and the re-installation of XP goes well.

Way to go guys :winkthumb::claping::clap::yeahhh:

Nutty

OldG    3

Excellent!! Great to see this one sorted..

I have been lost with problems like this myself - I was only glad my basic guesses helped in some way. Enjoy Your recording fella :winkthumb:

Tekker    1

Thanks Nutty and again BIG, HUGE, ENORMOUS thanks OldG, it's great to be back! :yeahhh:

I was only glad my basic guesses helped in some way.

"Basic guesses"??!! More like "trouble shooting expertise"! :yes:

bowdown8yi1ut.gifbowdown8yi1ut.gifbowdown8yi1ut.gifbowdown8yi1ut.gifbowdown8yi1ut.gif

-tkr

carol m    64

Great news Tekker and OldG - what a team! After a few false endings, this really is the happy ending.....isn't it? +1 to the speaking a foreign language Nutty - they are incredible aren't they??? :claping::clap::yeahhh:

Tekker    1
Great news Tekker and OldG - what a team! After a few false endings, this really is the happy ending.....isn't it?

The real test will be after reloading windows again, if it still works then we officially have a happy ending. :)

+1 to the speaking a foreign language Nutty - they are incredible aren't they??? :claping::clap::yeahhh:

OldG is incredible, I just know enough to do as I'm told. :D

-tkr

OldG    3

Hey, steady now! :blush: :blush: :blush: ( ridiculous English embarassment/shyness:D )

I'm an unqualified, manual worker who builds and fixes computers by trial and error ( I can't afford to buy new or pay for repair)... I've been refusing to be beaten since 1998 though - it's really more determination than anything approaching expertise ( if in doubt 'Google' it till you find a way) :hammer:

Good luck with the reinstall Tek, No reason why that IRQ list should shift now, and disabling those ports seems to let the hardware live in harmony. Microsoft's ACPI seems like a blanket solution that doesn't work for everyone - looks like you've found a way to make it work your way :winkthumb:

starsailor    20

Cool a happy ending, just thought I'd say I admire both you guys OldG and Tekker you just refused to surrender +1 to the above comments and good to see you up and running Tekker, excellent job:claping: :claping:

Tekker    1

We have confirmation, the problem appears to be fixed. I just reinstalled with the stripped down XP SP3 from the Reaper forum and all is working great. So I have had it working on both SP2 and SP3 now with no problems.

*does happy dance*

dancing%20smiley.gif

-tkr

Stratrat    0

Glad to see you got it fixed, Tekker! I had nothing to contribute to this thread because it was way beyond my technical skills in troubleshooting, but it will definitely serve as a reference if I have any such troubles in the future! Great job by all of you in sorting it out. :winkthumb:

Banshee    0

Tekker,

Are things still working well with your Q10?

I'm hoping to upgrade to a multicore system, but have heard the Q10 may be incompatible with their motherboards. Your take on this?

Thanks!

Jeff

Tekker    1

Hi Banshee,

I never got it working completely on SP2 or SP3. It worked up to a point but when I started adding a lot of effects the problems came back, and this wasn't due to CPU usage as I still had a long way to go to max out my computer. I think this does have to do with hardware, because the Q10 worked perfectly on my old computer with SP2 and I never had any problems with it. I don't know what systems it's compatible with, but it is certainly possible you could run into problems.

I installed SP1 on a dual boot and it worked great for audio recording/mixing, but I ran into serious problems while using ASIO drivers with the VSTi I use (Yellow Tools Independence) for MIDI where it would completely freeze up and I would have to reboot frequently. As long as I'm not using Independence the Q10 does work on SP1 on my system. Unfortunately, I need to be able to use Independence so I'm looking into replacing the Q10. :(

I'm now looking at the M-Audio ProFire 2626 and I've heard really good things about this interface. The preamps are the same as their Octane preamp which are supposed to be the best that M-Audio has to offer.

M-Audio ProFire 2626 from zZounds.com!

I have heard of some having problems with the ProFire if you're using the on-board Firewire ports, but a PCI Firewire card that has a Texas Instruments Firewire chip in it should take care of these issues.

If you want to take a chance with the Q10 (other 8-input inerfaces aren't cheap!) you could always put it back up on ebay if it doesn't work and probably get back what you put into it. :winkthumb:

Hope that helps.

-tkr

Tekker    1

Hi all,

I guess it's time to bring this thread back to life.... Unfortunately...

I finally bit the bullet and got the M-Audio ProFire 2626 and a PCI fire wire card for my computer, and it is still having the exact same problem. So after all of that, it wasn't the Aardvark after all. Maybe I should just go back to my old computer as it actually worked.

I just don't get it... :mad:

-tkr

Stratrat    0

Ye-owch, Tek! After going through all that, I was hoping you'd have the problem sorted. It's gotta be gremlins - there's no other rational explanation for it! Sorry I can't offer any help, you've gone way beyond my level of expertise with what you've done already in trying to fix it. :dunno: I took the easy way out and jumped over to the Apple/OS X camp - like they say, "it just works!".

OldG    3

Well,well....Ok, I'm a little bit more familiar with modern machines now - I have just set up my dual core laptop to triple boot with XP(audio optimized) ,Vista and Windows 7 beta...

Firstly, have you any SATA HD's, and have you installed the VIA SATA drivers....

Nextly, Your very first post mentions these problems linked with graphics acceleration... using the onboard chip? These chips run straight outta your system rescources and memory.

I would source a cheap ATI or Nvidia PCI-e card to suit your board with its own memory - I have a strong feeling that Chrome GFX chip is the culprit.

We will fix this......:yes: