Tekker

Computer Gurus Needed - Sound Card Problem

OldG    3

hmmm... beg/buy/borrow one ?

C'mon Tek, You're an intelligent fella, and I know that helping yourself can come harder than helping others - but let's get this sorted :winkthumb:

Tekker    1

But before I go buying one, what benefit is there to loading from a USB stick over a CD?

Someone gave me a couple more things to try to get the CD to work on the PCPer forum. So if there is no difference, I could try to get the CD working, since it is free.

-tkr

OldG    3

I just read the thread at PcPer...

Have you:

set CDROM as your 1st boot device?

disabled floppy?

sucessfully booted and made sure to change the disc in the drive to the one with the new BIOS?

when A:> appears - tried typing just E: to get into the CD?

Tekker    1

Using just "e:" instead of "cd e:" did the trick. :clap:

I also changed to the e drive before removing the windows boot disk, then I just put the other CD in and typed the command to update it.

It went through the BIOS update and finished with no problems, but when I rebooted it gave a CMOS error. So I went into the BIOS and saved it and then it booted right up. But at the bottom of my BIOS is still says v02.53 instead of the new version I installed (v05.04). Which is very strange.

I also tested the Q10 and it still doesn't work.

-tkr

Tekker    1

Ok, well I guess it is updated, I was looking at the wrong thing. According to the PCPer forum, I was looking at the version of the award software, not the BIOS. I had to check the BIOS version in Asus update and it is 0504.

But, that means my Q10 woes were not caused by the BIOS (which I figured was a long shot, but it was worth trying). So I'll try reinstalling XP again so I can choose the IRQ's.

There is a lot to learn from this.

Yeah, don't use outdated hardware. :D

-tkr

Tekker    1
But then you would miss out on all this fun. :)

Apparently, you and I have very different definitions of "fun".... ;)

-tkr

Tekker    1
What's the latest on this Tekker? Are you taking a breather (break)?

Kind of, we had family down visiting, so I didn't have a chance to reload Windows before.

I just got done reloading it using the Standard PC setting and that seems to have fixed the problem! I can now use ASIO drivers with my Q10 on my old project (which wouldn't work before) and it now works. I want to test a few more projects before I get too exited, but it's looking good right now. :)

The IRQ's are very different now, and what's really strange is that now the Q10 is on the same IRQ as three other things, but it still works.

(ISA) 0 Motherboard resources

(ISA) 0 System timer

(ISA) 1 PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-key)

(ISA) 4 Communications Port (COM1)

(ISA) 6 Standard floppy disk controller

(ISA) 7 Printer Port (LPT1)

(ISA) 8 System CMOS/real time clock

(ISA) 12 Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

(ISA) 13 Numeric data processor

(ISA) 14 Primary IDE Channel

(ISA) 15 Secondary IDE Channel

(PCI) 3 VIA Reb 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

(PCI) 3 VAI USB Enhanced Host Controller

(PCI) 5 Aark 24, Aark 20/20+ or Direct Pro Q10

(PCI) 5 Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio

(PCI) 5 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

(PCI) 5 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

(PCI) 10 VIA Chrome9 HC IGP

(PCI) 10 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

(PCI) 10 VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

(PCI) 11 VIA PCI to PCI Bridge Controller

(PCI) 11 VIA PCI to PCI BRidge Controller

(PCI) 11 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

The only problem now is that using the Standard PC setting does not support my multicore processor. So I'm only running on one processor right now. Is there a way to get the Standard PC settings, but still be able to use both processors?

I'm off to test more projects now, I'll be back with a report in a bit...... Keeping fingers crossed!

-tkr

Tekker    1

WOOT! I just tested several more projects (many of which would not work before) and they are all working now. :clap:

So if there is a way to get multiprocessor support while in Standard PC mode (there were several options to choose from, non of which I had any clue about...) then OldG has just saved me about $700!!!!

I think this flash animation says it all: :laugh:

A million thank you’s!

-tkr

OldG    3

Doh... forgot about the multi-processor thang (outta my reach atm, so I haven't had to tweak one yet) - sorry!

looks easy to fix though.... i'll copy and paste direct from http//www.support.gateway.com/support/manlib/cmponts/Process/8508245/8245c4.htm

choose MPS multiprocessor PC when following the steps below....

''To recognize a second processor in Windows XP Professional edition:

1. Click Start, then select Control Panel.

2.Click Performance and Maintenance.

3.Click System.

4. Click the Hardware tab, then click Device Manager.

5. Click the plus symbol next to Computer to expand it. Note the computer type that you currently have.

6.Double-click your computer type listed under Computer.

7. Click the Driver tab, click Update Driver.

8.Click Install from a list or specific location, then click Next.

9.Click Don't search. I will choose the driver to install, then click Next.

10. Click Show compatible hardware.

11. Click the appropriate computer type (one that matches your current type, except for multiple CPUs).

The following table lists and describes each computer type.

Computer Type

ACPI MultiProcessor PC

Use for Multiprocessor ACPI systems.

ACPI UniProcessor PC

Use for ACPI Multiprocessor board with a single processor installed.

Advanced Configuration Power Interface (ACPI) PC

Use for Single processor system board with single processor ACPI system.

MPS Multiprocessor PC

Use for non-ACPI systems with a dual processor running.

MPS Uniprocessor PC

Use for non-ACPI systems dual processor system board with a single processor installed.

Standard PC

Any Standard PC, non-ACPI, or non-MPS. For example, 386, 486, Pentium, or Pentium II/III.

12. Click Next, then click Finish.

13. Restart the computer. Confirm that the computer recognizes the second processor. If the computer does not recognize the second processor, contact Customer Care.

''

Tekker    1

The only option I could select was Standard PC (which is what I already have). So it looks like I'll have to reinstall XP with MPS Multiprocessor, which I will try out later today.

What is the difference between MPS and the standard PC setting? That site's explanation doesn't really say the difference between these two. Hopefully the Q10 will still work on the MPS setting.

Congrats! I love a happy ending :thumbup:

Yeah, what a novel this has been... It's spanned almost two months, cross posted on four different forums (two recording forums, the Aardvark yahoo group, and here), and we are finally starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

One thing is for sure, when this is all done, I'm going to compile all of this info and put it all in a single post for PC sound troubleshooting. This is the most difficult problem I've had to date and because it has gone on for so long there is quite a collection of great troubleshooting info. :yes:

-tkr

Tekker    1

Apparently there is a difference, because the Q10 won't load at all with the MPS Multiprocessor setting. I can't even get into the control panel for the Q10.

I can't change to MPS uniprocessor without reinstalling everything again, so I don't know if it's the multiprocessor setting that's causing problems or the MPS setting.

So close, yet so far away.... :brickwall:

-tkr

Tekker    1
Wow, what a saga! I have this nagging feeling that when you turn on MPS your problem will return. Fingers crossed.

Yep, you're nagging feeling is correct. I just posted two minutes before you with the bad news. :(

-tkr

Tekker    1

These are my latest IRQ settings. The Q10 is on an IRQ all by itself and of course it's not working now... Go figure! So maybe it shouldn't be on an IRQ by itself? Or maybe it just has to do with the MPS setting?

(ISA) 0 Motherboard resources

(ISA) 0 System timer

(ISA) 1 PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-key)

(ISA) 4 Communications Port (COM1)

(ISA) 6 Standard floppy disk controller

(ISA) 7 Printer Port (LPT1)

(ISA) 8 System CMOS/real time clock

(ISA) 12 Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

(ISA) 13 Numeric data processor

(ISA) 14 Primary IDE Channel

(ISA) 15 Secondary IDE Channel

(PCI) 4 Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio

(PCI) 128 VIA Chrome9 HC IGP

(PCI) 61 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

(PCI) 64 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

(PCI) 65 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

(PCI) 66 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

(PCI) 66 VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

(PCI) 67 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

(PCI) 72 VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

(PCI) 79 Aark 24, Aark 20/20+ or Direct Pro Q10

-tkr

OldG    3

OK... I'm on a learning curve myself here ( haven't had the 'pleasure of tweaking/troubleshooting a DualCore yet). Multicore sytems pose a bit of a conundrum as the Standard PC HAL doesn't support multiprocessors....

Here's what I got so far:

Your Q10 presently uses IRQ79 which is a 'virtual' IRQ - there are only 16 'physical' IRQ's (which is where you need your card to be). It seems

that both ACPI and MPS HAL's both use APIC to manage IRQ's (automatically) - which unfortunately also tied in with controlling multicore usage.

There will be a way around this and I reckon the answer is in the BIOS... I'll dig further and report back:winkthumb:

OldG    3

Hah! *kicks himself for missing this*

(PCI) 4 Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio

Thats a Microsoft generic driver - Install the proper one available here and see how things go there - You may have to change to ACPI again though...

buggy drivers are the first place to look for trouble - missed the onboard from the start - sorry

Tekker    1

I have tried updating all of my motherboard drivers from that same site. I tested this before on the XP installation that I just wiped out, but I just installed the audio driver on my XP installation for normal computer use and I still have "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio" as one of the options.

Your Q10 presently uses IRQ79 which is a 'virtual' IRQ - there are only 16 'physical' IRQ's (which is where you need your card to be). It seems

that both ACPI and MPS HAL's both use APIC to manage IRQ's (automatically) - which unfortunately also tied in with controlling multicore usage.

There will be a way around this and I reckon the answer is in the BIOS... I'll dig further and report back:winkthumb:

That's very interesting, it looks like the times that the Q10 hasn't worked have been when the IRQ was 17 or above and the one time it did work was when the IRQ was 5.

My XP installation for normal computer use is IRQ 17 and my music only installation of XP is also IRQ 17 and neither of them work.

You may be onto something. If there is a way to force windows or the BIOS to put it on one of the 16 physical IRQ's that may (with any luck) solve the problem. :)

-tkr

OldG    3

Found an nice link showing you how to manually assign IRQ's in the PNP/PCI Configuration part of your BIOS here

It shows you how to manually reassign IRQ's toward the bottom, according to this might even be worth freeing up the IRQ the onboard graphics are using to create another physical IRQ for your QIO - lots of good stuff here...

Tekker    1

Unfortunately my BIOS is not setup like that and it doesn't look like I can assign IRQ's.

These are the options in the PCIPnP section of my BIOS. The choices are in brackets and the current settings are bold.

Plug and play OS .......................... [No/Yes]

PCI Latency Timer ........................ [64]

Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA ................ [Disabled/Enabled]

Palette Snooping .......................... [Disabled/Enabled]

IRQ-3 assigned to ......................... [PCI Device/Reserved]

IRQ-4 assigned to ......................... [PCI Device/Reserved]

IRQ-5 assigned to ......................... [PCI Device/Reserved]

IRQ-7 assigned to ......................... [PCI Device/Reserved]

IRQ-9 assigned to ......................... [PCI Device/Reserved]

IRQ-10 assigned to ....................... [PCI Device/Reserved]

IRQ-11 assigned to ....................... [PCI Device/Reserved]

IRQ-14 assigned to ....................... [PCI Device/Reserved]

IRQ-15 assigned to ....................... [PCI Device/Reserved]

"Reserved" = specified IRQ is reserved for use by Legacy ISA devices.

I've searched all through the BIOS and I cannot find any options to manually assign the IRQs.

-tkr