Tekker

Computer Gurus Needed - Sound Card Problem

Also, I should mention that test was done on my normal XP installation, not the other installation with all of the XP tweaks. So I had all the XP functions turned on, Antivirus running, other programs installed, etc. and I still only peaked at 73us. According to the Reaper thread everything under 1000us should work fine.

So far my system sure "appears" to be functioning very well according to all the tests I've done.... :dunno:

-tkr

Hmm, the screenie shows a stable reading...

Ok, let's make sure I got this right - You want to use your Q10 for recording and playback, making the onboard sound redundant?

Now, your post listing IRQ's show that the Q10 and the onboard sound are sharing the same resource.

Question is, have you disabled the Onboard at the BIOS and not just in XP?

Ok, let's make sure I got this right - You want to use your Q10 for recording and playback, making the onboard sound redundant?

Kind of, the Q10 doesn't work with all types of audio/video files, so I do need to keep the on board sound for those few times when the Q10 won't play the files.

For testing purposes I have tried disabling the on board sound, but I couldn't do it in the BIOS because for some reason there was no option to disable the on board sound. I looked in every menu and couldn't find it anywhere.

-tkr

This is waaay beyond me, but I'm still sending good mojo. :yes:

Thanks Carol! It appears my machine is seriously lacking in good mojo right now, so I'm sure it can use all it can get! :D

-tkr

I'm fairly sure it's an IRQ conflict (I've had unexplained hardware problems down to this in the past - even if windows tells you 'no conflicts')

I did try changing the Q10 to another PCI slot and still had the same issue. Do you think I could have had IRQ conflicts in both slots (my computer only has two PCI slots)?

If so, then based on my IRQ settings that I posted before, what do you recommend I should change the Q10's IRQ number to?.... I don't want to mess things up worse. :D

-tkr

It really needs its own resource to get the best from it especially if shared with another audio device.

The actual PCI slot isn't the problem.... changing the slot will ask XP to reassign its IRQ, if it it running in ACPI mode (default), most likely it will assign the same IRQ again ( with no benefit)

check the links ( make a backup or restore point before making changes to be safe)

It doesn't look like I can change it.

I can't change it in XP (there is no option to change it's IRQ) and it is also not listen in the BIOS. I found a bunch of IRQ's assigned to "PCI Devices" (but it didn't say which ones) but number 17 was not listed. This BIOS seems to have a lot of stuff missing.... Mainly, everything that I need to change.

-tkr

UPDATE:

OK, now this is interesting.... There was a thread on the Samplitude forum where someone was having a similar problem to mine, and one of the responses was that Samplitude is having issues with multi-core CPU's and to disable the MultiCPU option in the Samplitude preferences. So I tried disabling it and the popping stopped completely. I went back and forth several times and it comes back when I enable MultiCPU and goes away when I disable MultiCPU.

This is very weird, because Samplitude and the Q10 work fine on XP SP1 with the MultiCPU option enabled, but not on SP2 or SP3. However, my on board sound always works fine.

So this seems to be tied to both Samplitude and the Q10 in some way.... Maybe? :blink:

Anyways, at least I'm up and running now... I'm not thrilled about only being able to use half my processing power, but I would certainly rather be running on half power than stuck sitting still.

Thanks for all your help OldG, Fly, Knight, X4String, and Carol for the good mojo! :D

-tkr

False alarm.... It had switched to MME drivers, which for some reason worked better, but after putting it back to ASIO it is back to the same old thing. :( :( :(

-tkr

Tekker,

I have talked to a couple of guys that are pretty good with computers and they all say, like OldG, that the problem sounds like an IRQ problem. They also say that some of the multiprocessors do behave differently and that some are just plain squirrelly.

I haven't given up yet still have a couple of guys to tap on...maybe I can come up with some good news.

I'm sure your {quote} "not thrilled about only being able to use half my processing power" is referring mainly about your recording accessability, but {and I may be wrong here} can you not setup another partition or user for the half power stuff until you figure the mess out, and use the other with the full multi processor for your other PC purposes? maybe even get it set-up where only the actual recording is on the slow side and your edit app in the fast side for mixing, adding effects etc.:dunno: sorry I know this offers no real solution to your trouble...just thinking outloud.

Thanks knight. Would they be willing to register on the forum so you don't have to play telephone line? :D

X4String, unfortunately I'm basically right back in the same spot I was before. Turning off the MultiCPU option only worked for the MME driver but MME doesn't have some of the features that I need such as VST monitoring. Since I only play my guitar using VST effects (I don't have an amp) I definitely need to have ASIO drivers functioning correctly.

-tkr

ASIO4ALL doesn't work with my Q10, the only option in the ASIO4ALL control panel is for my on board sound.

Its probably time to retire the Q10 :crying2:{no offense intended, you have more determination than I in this} :winkthumb:

Yeah, unfortunately it is pointing towards that direction. I've already been looking at other cards and the $700-ish that it would take to replace my Q10 is certainly giving me the motivation to try to get this problem figured out. :ohmy:

-tkr

Tekker,

Don't know if you have tried this but...two changes that I have found in old,old threads are:

Change sample to 32 and to go to the 7.04 drivers for Q-10. One other possiblility was bad ram.

Man this is a bear...

Tekker,

Change sample to 32 and to go to the 7.04 drivers for Q-10.

The 7.04 driver is for Win98, I've tried that before when I was having sound card issues and the 7.04 driver wouldn't even see the Q10 on XP.

I'm not sure what you mean by "change sample to 32". If you're talking about sample rate or bit rate, I have both of these set at the default 44.1kHz and 16-bit (CD quality).

One other possiblility was bad ram.

I can give that a try, I'll take one stick out at a time and then test Samplitude to see if that fixes anything. Be back in a bit..... ;)

Man this is a bear...

Yes, it is. :brickwall:

-tkr

One other possiblility was bad ram.

I can give that a try, I'll take one stick out at a time and then test Samplitude to see if that fixes anything. Be back in a bit..... ;)

Nope, it's not RAM..... :no:

-tkr

Looks like time to start from scratch...

If you are still struggling,how about a clean install of an audio optimized stripped down XP? (with sp3 integrated)

You can D/L it here at the Reaper forum... just use your XP serial to install

Reformat and install XP onto a standard PC hal -rather than the default ACPI compliant system ( Just press F5 instead of F6 at 'RAID drivers floppy' screen when you install)

You will have a clean system with assignable IRQ's to install the Q10 - i reckon it's the best chance you got...

Looks like time to start from scratch...

Reformat and install XP onto a standard PC hal -rather than the default ACPI compliant system ( Just press F5 instead of F6 at 'RAID drivers floppy' screen when you install)

You will have a clean system with assignable IRQ's to install the Q10 - i reckon it's the best chance you got...

The depth of knowledge that all you guys have is mind-boggling to me. :rockon:

I'm currently trying to upgrade my BIOS and of course running into problems.... Which you can see here:

BIOS Upgrade - PC Perspective Forums

I will try that next if the BIOS upgrade doesn't work.

-tkr

You can lose the BIOS altogether if it goes wrong/ cuts power/ fails to read ( it may junk the board at worst)...

Try to flash the BIOS from the C:drive if you can much less risky - go carefully!

Try to flash the BIOS from the C:drive if you can much less risky - go carefully!

How do you do that? This is my first time upgrading the BIOS, so instructions would be great.

-tkr

Seems that 'flashing' from C: won't work on an NTFS system.. ( it's been a while).

I'll link you to a USB stick flash method here to get you sorted :winkthumb: