DanKurt

So much choice and no idea!

First post here so hi to you all:winkthumb:

I have plenty of spare time on my hands now that I have changed my job and I have always wanted to give the guitar a try but never had the luxury of time to practise.

I was give a guitar when I was in my teens but it was a very cheap one with a really high action, which is why I never really give it too much attention.

I want an acoustic which is not too big and loud (will be for home use only)and it must have an easy low action, oh and sound nice.

I have looked at a couple on the net in the £200 budget.

There seems to be a huge choice but obviously I will have to physically see them to be able to judge if they have the low action I require.

The Crafter and Ibanez makes look nice in that price range, I especially like the Ibanez AC 90 NT. (Small size and quality materials)

So I am open to any suggestions from you all because I really have no idea what best suits my requirements.

The best thing you can do is go to a shop and play as many as you can yourself....one will eventually jump out at you as "the one". It's so difficult to make specific recommendations, as everybody has different tastes in tone, looks, different woods, etc. What sounds good to one person may not sound good at all to another. Additionally, the brands available near one of us may not be available in your area - or may be priced much higher! In your price range, I'd suggest looking at Yamaha and Epiphone guitars. IMO, Yamaha makes very nice guitars at any point in the price range, and Epiphone makes some very nice 'knockoffs' of high-end Gibson acoustics (they're actually a subsidiary of Gibson, as Squier is to Fender).

Don't pass up a great guitar just because the action is too high, though - a setup by a skilled luthier can easily remedy that problem!

Agree with Stratrat about Yamaha and Epiphone. Also Takamine andTanglewood make very good guitars in that price range.

I wasn't sure if there were any Taks in that price range, and didn't bother to look - but +1 to both of those.

I'm not sure how their prices stack up in the UK, but Breedlove and Seagull also make very nice guitars that are maybe just a bit above that price range. IMO, Breedlove makes absolutely beautiful guitars.

Thanks for the info chaps.

I saw a used Tanglewood TW900 at a local secondhand shop which also came with a hard case. It was £145 and was in excellent condition. I have been unable to find much information on this model so I am not sure if this is a good price.

If anyone owns or have played this model, please could you give me your thoughts:winkthumb:

You may want to try doing a search here for "Tanglewood". I'm pretty sure I've seen them discussed here before, but can't recall which threads offhand.

Well I finally got me a guitar. I ended up putting a little extra cash towards it and I purchase a secondhand Crafter GAE 33/VTG.

It came with a strap, spare Martin strings and a hard shell carry case all for £235:yeahhh:

It was absolutely in mint condition and has a built in tunner so I can get practising straight away.:smilinguitar:

What I will do now is work through the tuitorials on here at my leisure and I may look into buying a tuition book, so has anyone got any suggestions?

Congratulations Dan!!

I love Crafter guitars. I'm not familiar with that model, but I sure it will do it well.

Post a picture when you can!

Enjoy.

Nutty

Thanks chaps, I have been playing all day and my fingers ache:)

I am on the first rung of the ladder but loving it already:winkthumb:

:) I know at the moment I am doing no justice to such a nice piece of kit, but I hope with a little dedication I will be able to get my fingers to dance all over its fret board:smilinguitar:

Doesn't take much. Just a couple 10 hours practice everyday and a high tolerance of pain LOL

I've been lucky to average about 2 hours a day for the last 6-7 months and mine have begun to dance around a bit..actually its getting to be almost as graceful as an elephant in a ballet :)

You do have a nice rig though...that should be enough inspiration to get you started.