New Lesson - House of the Rising Sun

6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,245 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:02 PM

I was pleased to learn that House of the Rising Sun is Public Domain. I'm doing a series of three or four lessons on this great chord progression, starting with this one, the simplest version:

http://www.guitarfor...sun-lesson-1-a/

Next week I'll put up the version that includes the melody line. This is for those just getting into finger style, it's pretty basic, but of course you'll need to really watch and listen, refer to the tab and apply yourself to learn it if you're just starting out. I sometimes get asked to show every last move, indicate every finger used, break things down into mini-moves ... I don't teach that way, however. The best way by far to learn anything on guitar is to really concentrate, figure things out on your own, watch, listen, imitate ... the fact that there's a movie showing it all is something I never had way back when I was learning, and that's all I really wanted -- to able to see someone doing it. I did it all by ear, just by listening and poking around the fretboard looking for what I heard. There were no tabs, either. We're pretty spoiled these days with all the resources available, but there's nothing like putting some hard work into learning your craft. That's what makes it stick forever.

Enjoy this one, the next one is a step up in difficulty from this, so get this down. :yes:

#2 OFFLINE   Maddog54

• Active Members
  • 376 posts
  • Joined 19-January 08

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:33 PM

That was GREAT Kirk, Thank You! I'm not up to speed on a lot of it, but it helped me get the timing right listening to you play it. One of my all-time favorites too, so I'll be playing it through the wee hours of the night :)

#3 OFFLINE   windsong

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,702 posts
  • Joined 29-October 07

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:01 PM

thanks for posting it

windsong

#4 OFFLINE   Kirk Lorange

Site Founder

• Admin

• 4,245 posts
  • Joined 31-January 04

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:20 AM

Great, glad you like it ... thanks for letting me know! :winkthumb:

#5 OFFLINE   knight46

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,822 posts
  • Joined 21-February 07

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:44 AM

Great lesson Kirk...thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   Andy S

• Active Members

• 878 posts
  • Joined 26-November 05

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:47 AM

Kirk,

Great timing!! This is one of the songs we are going to do at the Worship Festival in September. Say WHAT!!?? Yeh, :yes: we take the music from House of the Rising Sun and use the words from Amazing Grace. I'm supposed to do the intro, so this is Great!!

Thanks!:claping:
Andy S.

#7 OFFLINE   thodwris

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,580 posts
  • Joined 07-May 08

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:57 AM

Hello Kirk...
I have a question for you,if you could answer.Is this the actual song or a version of it?I play the song using arpegios(from the second or open A string down to the last one or open E and all the way back up)with these exact chords, Am,C,D,F,Am,C,E,E adn again Am,C,D,F,Am,E,Am,,E...Is what I am playing a good version of the song or if I want to be more accurate(let's say),I should learn the song from your lesson?...
Thanks for posting the lesson.All the best,
Theo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users