thodwris

Which software to get for recording?

SlickCat    1

Im gonna throw one more option into the pot.

Audacity. Its free and most of all simple to use.

I tried Reaper........but for me, it was too complicated. I spent more time learning than recording.

Heres the link. Audacity: Download

thodwris    1

Hello Tekker...

Once more I have to thank you for your answer!You are really a great guy!...

It's a very good thing what happens with the program,but I contunue to be amazed since I have never heard of that one before!..I am now at the beginning of figuring it out,but I think it will be just fine...I want to post a song idea that I have been worknig on and I want to do it as soon as possible.Watch out those who will listen though,it may damage your ears because of the poor guitar I can play :laughingg: !

Thank you again for your time and interest Tekker!Have fun too with anything you are doing!..Do you play the guitar?If the answer is yes,I would like to hear some of your work!...

All the best,

Theo

I must agree with Maddog!The should pay you from Reaper for promoting their product :) !

thodwris    1

Hello SlickCat...

Thank you for your time,for your answer and for the ready to download shortcut.You are really great!..

I have both the programs,Audacity and Reaper.I agree so much that Reaper si more complicated!I had to look at all directions in the program to figure out how to start a recording.It took me several hours to find out how to proceed with the "track lock" thing :laughingg: !I was looking at the program helpless,but in the end I managed.On the Audacity program is easier,you just press record and you are all set...Anyway I don't know yet with which program to proceed,but I want to record my first song idea with Reaper...Wish me luck :) ...

Thanks again for answering SlickCat and keep posting your songs.You are a great guitarist!

All the best,

Theo

I love Reaper, it can be as simple as Audacity or as complex as you like, plus it supports VSTis which means I can play keyboards, and with my Toneport KB37, keep a recording studio in my suitcase, and a guitar on my back. Korea, Japan, China and back to Korea. Amazing, and cheap, or free.

Ian

thodwris    1

Thank you very much for your time answering to me and the feedback Ian!...

I am at the beginning so I have a lot to learn.I wonder how could I connect a keyboard to my computer.My wife is playing.I could really do some nice fill-ups to any song ideas I come up with,I would love to try that one out...

All the best,

Theo

thodwris    1

Hello Tekker...

Now here is another one for you...I was trying to record something down today using the Reaper program.The problem is that I can't save what I have recorded.When I wish to save,a message appears saying:error creating project file,file not saved...After a lot of hard trying I found a way.The projects can be saved only to Reaper,but there is a problem with that,or I think it is.When I go to Reaper I can't find any files but when I am in the program and choose open project the files are there!PLease fill me in to this probem and also tell me if there is a way to save the file as MP3.The real problem is that if the files can only be opened inside Reaper,how could I get one of them and open it with Winamp for instance or even post it to the site?I know that my questions may be stupid,but I can't seem to find any answers by myself...

Please get me out of this dead-end!I am quite helpless...

All the best,

Theo

Tekker    1
The problem is that I can't save what I have recorded.When I wish to save,a message appears saying:error creating project file,file not saved...After a lot of hard trying I found a way.The projects can be saved only to Reaper,but there is a problem with that,or I think it is.When I go to Reaper I can't find any files but when I am in the program and choose open project the files are there!PLease fill me in to this probem and also tell me if there is a way to save the file as MP3.

Ok, so the problem is only when you try to save as an mp3, correct?

When you first record a file in Reaper it automatically gets saved as a wave file in your project folder. If you know where you saved your project you then you can find the wave file and play it. However, the wave files are the individual tracks, not all of them combined.

So for example, say that you recorded a guitar track first and then recorded a vocal track separately. In this case there will be two wave files in your project folder, one for the guitar and one for the vocals. When you play these in a media player like Winamp you will only be able to play one file at a time (as you would expect). But when you open your Reaper project file it will look for both files and load them into Reaper so you can hear both at the same time, plus it will load any editing or effects you added.

If you want to combine them so they are both on the same file (along with your edits and effects) you need to "export" the project to a file. You can export as a wave file, an mp3, or any other format that Reaper supports.

To export as an mp3 Reaper actually needs a little bit of help. ;) It does not come with an mp3 encoder but it supports the Lame mp3 encoder, which you can download here:

DLL-files.com - lame_enc.dll, free download

Unzip the file and then copy the lame_enc.dll into Reaper's main directory (where you installed Reaper). After you do this, you should be able to export to an mp3. :thumbup:

-tkr

dejankuki    0
The projects can be saved only to Reaper,but there is a problem with that,or I think it is.When I go to Reaper I can't find any files but when I am in the program and choose open project the files are there!PLease fill me in to this probem

Well, default path for Reaper to save media files you recorded is where is Reaper is installed. But anyway check this path in file> project settigs audio tab!

Other place where you can check is optins> preferences and project!!!

and also tell me if there is a way to save the file as MP3.

For expotring files as MP3 you'll need a lame encoder... download it and just extract in Reaper folder, In folder when you are install Reaper...

link is here

The real problem is that if the files can only be opened inside Reaper,how could I get one of them and open it with Winamp for instance or even post it to the site?

When you find files you will be able to play them with winamp, except!!! if you recorded wav files in resolution that winamp can reproduce!! But I'm pretty shure that you are recorded them right...

In case you wondering.. just see what numbers are in right top position, (just under "close, minimize, restore" squares)

if it is 44100 kHz ad 16bits you shurely can play them!!!

About posting n the web or on this forum...

1. you must export your project

2. yuu must even upload somewhere and paste link in your post...

2a. or you can upload file on this server, it is down under in Attach files and "manage attachments" button!!!

Tekker    1
Tekker you should tell the people that make Reaper to pay you some commission. Seriously, I mean you help people find it, download it, use it, then they buy it. You should be getting your cut :)

Yeah, that would be nice. :D

On the Audacity program is easier,you just press record and you are all set...Anyway I don't know yet with which program to proceed,but I want to record my first song idea with Reaper...

Definitely proceed with Reaper. :winkthumb:

Audacity is simple to record with (just push record and away you go).... But trying to go beyond pressing the record button into mixing and editing in Audacity it is actually more difficult because it severely lacks basic features that make these other tasks so much easier.

-tkr

thodwris    1

Hello again dejankuki...

Thank you very much for your help once more,I appreciate it very much...

The first thing I checked out was the encoder.Unfortunately I wasn't able to open the file.I don't know,maybe this happened because I don't have the Word program installed to my computer...I searched the web and the only thing I came up with was a file named RegSecureSetup 1501.I haven't installed it yet as I don't know if it is the one I am looking for...

Thank you very much for the settings for the recording.I haven't checked them out yet,since I first want to deal with the program I need to be able to make MP3's...

There is a lot of work to do,it wasn't as simple as I thought.I hope I will be able to get the whole thing right,because I can't wait to start recording my first song..

Thank you once more for everything...

All the best,

Theo

thodwris    1

Hello Tekker...

Thank you once more for being there for me...I must first find the way to save my projects in MP3 files and I haven't found yet the way.If you have something simple to send(a driver)that will work with the Reaper program,please do it...

Many thanks again for your precious help and time...I really appreciate it...

All the best,

Theo

Tekker    1

In Reaper, go to the File menu and choose Render. Then for the output format choose "MP3 (lame)".

You will need to install the lame encoder in order to be able to make the mp3. Download this file, unzip it, and copy the file called "lame_enc.dll" into the folder where you installed Reaper.

DLL-files.com - lame_enc.dll, free download

That should do it. :winkthumb:

-tkr

thodwris    1

Hello again Tekker..

Here is what I did...I downloaded the file you said.I extracted a file named lame enc dll reading beneath it 3.93.1.0 and again beneath MP3 encoding library.I took the file and put it inside the Reaper folder where te program is installed.Now here is what happens.I can now extract a file that I record wherever I wish in the computer and not only where the program is installed,but even though I set Reaper to output format Mp3 lame,the file saved is a Reaper file is playing only in Reaper...Also I checked out the settings that dejan was talking about KHz and bits,the settings are correct,but still I can't play the file in Winamp....

Anyway,I know that by now I am getting really annoying so please excuse me for the continuous silly questions.Maybe it's just too much for me...I just seem to be lost :dunno: ....

Thank you again for your time answering to me.I really appreciate your help!Maybe with your help I will get to the bottom of this...

Thanks again...

All the best,

Theo

Another thing.The file I seem to extract mentioned above,can not be saved!I mention this because you said that I need to install the encoder.When I double click on it a message apperas telling me that the file can not be opened...Anyway,as far as I know,up to now I have onlu installed to my computer executable files that go by the name :name.exe ...Also when I try to open the file in Reaper(in the folder where the program is) a messaage appears saying error opening media and the program starts requesting settings(as if I double click on the shortcut on my desktop).As is said,I am too lost...

thodwris    1

Hello again Tekker...

After all that said and done I finally got in the bottom of this.What I was not doing is to go where you said,to render and select from there MP3.I just made a final tryout to see if it works and it is all ok!Thank you so much!!!I can now start doing my thing!Without your help I would still be completely helpless!!Thank you very much,I am so excited :yeahhh::yeahhh::yeahhh: !!!!I can't wait to make my first recording and post it on the site!..

Thank you again Tekker,I can't find the words to express my gratitude!...

All the best,

Theo

thodwris    1

Thank YOU Tekker!!I owe 90% of doing it to you!You are really a great guy,words are not enough for me to say how much I appreciate what you have done.Maybe through this site I will learn to play the guitar better but as for recording,you are my master,my teacher,thank you very much....

All the best,

Theo

thodwris    1

Yes,he has!..I am struggling now to see how I can get a clear recording.Yesterday I spent more than two hours trying to do some stuff,but I didn't like the sound I was getting.The recording,especially when I played "bass"tones seemed to flud the speakers.Maybe the connection cable I use is not good or maybe I should try recording keeping the volume down.I don't know,I must experiment some more and see what happens.Maybe there are settings through Reaper to help me get a clearer sound,to help me adjust the tones,maybe something like an equalizer...

All the best,

Theo

Tekker    1

Can you upload an mp3 of the sound you are getting?

It could be a setting on your guitar/amp or it could be that the volume is to loud and causing clipping/distortion during the recording. These are really the only two options as Reaper should not be adding anything to your sound (unless you pressed something by accident and didn't realize it).

In case it's a clipping issue, see this tutorial on setting the volume so you don't clip while recording:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/tekkers-lessons/5866-soundcard-mixer/

-tkr

thodwris    1

Hello again Tekker...

Once more you are a great man!Thank you very much for your time and the reply...

Unfortunately the tutorial is not so helpful as I oprate vista on my computer.On the other hand,I think I know what was wrong.As I said the volume was too loud.I tried another recording an I have already posted a song in the site's members recordings!I think I got it!The only thing remaining now is to see how to adjust the distorsion from the effects processor because it came not so good on the lead guitar...I won't forget your help Tekker,without you I wouldn't have done it!Thank you again and again...

All the best,

Theo