thodwris

Which software to get for recording?

Hello all...

I am too close to finding a solution to transfer music to my computer.So,the next thing that bothers me is what kind of software,which program should I use to be able to record music.This is where I need all the help I can get...

I want a program that can support multi-track recording for starters.The thing is that I would want the program to be able to playback what I have already recorded down so that I can listen to that as I record something on top.Also I wanted to ask if there are programs that can provide various effects,ambience for instance,or if there are programs that have loop function.Furthermore,if any programs come with a drum machine...In the end,maybe there are no such programs available,but the question here is this.Could I find more than one programs that combined together could get the job done?....

I am looking forward to hearing from you guys to be able to solve this one out...Thank you for reading...

I want a program that can support multi-track recording for starters.

Reaper.

The thing is that I would want the program to be able to playback what I have already recorded down so that I can listen to that as I record something on top.

Reaper. ;)

Also I wanted to ask if there are programs that can provide various effects,ambience for instance,or if there are programs that have loop function.

Reaper has built in effects, however there are some great freebies available also that you can use within Reaper. Here is a list of the freebies that I have personally used. Some of these are VERY good and still get used along side my commercial (not free) effects.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/tekkers-lessons/5735-freebie-list/

Furthermore,if any programs come with a drum machine...

I don't think Reaper has a drum machine built in (I could be wrong though), but you could probably find a decent freeware VSTi drum machine on google.

I don't ever use drum machines, so I can't comment on any good ones. Sorry.

Also, in addition to the tutorial si16 posted, I have one more Reaper tutorial here:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/tekkers-lessons/19897-computer-recording-software-getting-started/

Hope that helps.

-tkr

Hello Tekker...

Thank you for being so kind and providing me with all this usefull feedback.I really appreciate dedicating some of your time for me.Thank you so much,once more!!

The info is very useful.It took me a bit(about 20 minutes! :) )to go through your answer.I guess it will take me even more to figure out exactly what is going on when the time comes.At the moment,I am waiting for a cable with two jacks(stereo-that will come from my processor)and another one for my sound card.Only when I get my hands on it I will be able to start experimenting with the recording process.By the way,I guess it won't be a problem using the effects from my processor to record music,is this correct?...Here is a question for you.Would you recommend me to buy the Reaper program with 50 $ or stay with the demo?In a way I know that the demo can't be like the whole program(usually demos don't include the whole program as far as I know),but anyway I would like your opinion on that.The second question is that.Could I bother you some more in the future if I get stuck somewhere along the way?You are just the person that I was looking for and with your help I could master the recording process like a pro( I hope I am not over-confident)...

Thank you once more for your time and for the really useful info...

Sicerelly yours,

Theo

Here is a question for you.Would you recommend me to buy the Reaper program with 50 $ or stay with the demo?In a way I know that the demo can't be like the whole program(usually demos don't include the whole program as far as I know)

Hi thodwris,

Amazingly,Reaper is not disabled or limited in demo form - although it will remind you to register for 6 seconds every time it starts.

I think it has grown into the best DAW around for my needs, and became a registered user while it is so inexpensive...

Hello OldG...

That is quite amazing!I never heard of that before!I am curious though to know what is going on!If the demo is the same as the actual program then what is the point of buying it?I mean why should it even be on the market?...

Thank you very much for your time and the tip...

All the best,

Theo

The second question is that.Could I bother you some more in the future if I get stuck somewhere along the way?

Absolutely, I'm on here quite often so if you post I'll try to help out as best I can. :)

That is quite amazing!I never heard of that before!I am curious though to know what is going on!If the demo is the same as the actual program then what is the point of buying it?I mean why should it even be on the market?...

Yeah, it is very rare but the developer of Reaper works on the honor system. He put out the program in its entirety as a free demo but he asks that if you like the program and continue to use it that you should pay for it.

I don't use Reaper as my main recording program (I use Magix Samplitude), so I only have the demo version of Reaper which I keep around to help others and to make tutorials. If I did use Reaper for recording I would pay for it. $50 is dirt cheap for what this program does. I've tried a lot of recording programs (including one that cost $2,500) and for my personal preference I would put Reaper as my second choice after Samplitude even if they were all exactly the same price. So really, $50 is not much to ask. :winkthumb:

-tkr

Oh yes, expect help from me also, I work in reaper ( and in Nuendo as well).

BTW I'm shure that you and 95% of computer population around the globe have another program from Reaper developer...

This program is WinAmp, and programmer is Justin Frankel!

Hello again Tekker...

Thanks again for your time answering to my questions once more.You are very kind!Furthermore thank you for letting me bother you in the future for any other questions,although I hope I don't need help often because I wouldn't want to occupy your days only with me :) ...

Now that you said what program you are using,you really made me think to search for the same program :winkthumb: !Actually what I have in mind is start with the demo of Reaper and when I get to understand it,buy the "full"version for 50 $ .The most certain thing is though that I have a lot of work ahead of me to understand better the program and the recording procedure.It doesn't scare me though,I can't wait to get my hands on that cable I need and start doing my thing :yes: !!

All the best,

Theo

Hello dejankuki...

I always liked Winamp,I didn't know it is developed by the same programmer.Everytime there is an update for it,I make sure I install it imediatelly :) !

Thank you for your answer...Is is good talking to you after that thread of mine with the effects :) ...

All the best,

Theo

Hello Chris...

Now,that was something!I visited the site you posted and it took me a while to read about the programs.The review sounds really interesting!Now that is pro stuff!Thank you very much for your answer although it kind of scares me(the program)with it's features!I am going to give it a thought about which prigram to get after all,but maybe I should start with something a little bit easier :dunno: .That's why I wanted the digital recorder in the first place,it has it all in one,doesn't cost so much and it is easier to use.Too bad that noone her uses one...

Thank you for your time and your help.It's good to know options...

All the best,

Theo

Theo, you can look at all the programs you want I suppose....bottom line is whatever gets you recording. I'd try out reaper and run with it as far as you can go....then if you need more look into something else. Either way dive right in and have fun.

Hey there Maddog...

Thanks man,I appreciate it.I think that when I start figuring out what to do and how(hopefully Tekker's Lessons will do the job),I will definitely have some fun!There is something I want to record and I can't wait for the time to come!...Have fun yourself playing the guitar,writing music and singing,you should definitely NOT stop singing.Keep the songs coming :yes: !...See you around man...

All the best,

Theo

Hello eddie...

Thank you for answering...As a matter of fact,yesterday I had the Reaper installed.I can't understand a thing :laughingg: !As I said,I hope Tekker's Lessons help,but I think I should also download the manual...It is free,but what I got was a trial.It's rather annoying if I get to understand the program to be forced to change it every time it expires after 30 days.So the answer is that if I do understand it,I will think seriously to buy it...I really want to go along with the program because I don't want to constantly bother others with my silly questions,I have done it many times up to now.I should limit myself a bit...

Thank you again for answering...

All the best,

Theo

Hello eddie...

It's rather annoying if I get to understand the program to be forced to change it every time it expires after 30 days.

The demo will not expire. You are asked to purchase it after 30 days, but the demo will keep working indefinitely.

-tkr

Hello Tekker...

You are a great guy!Thank you so much that you keep answering my questions and help me clarify whatever I don't know!I very much appreciate your help!Thank you,thank you,thank you!!!

I didn't know that it doesn't expire!I was pretty sure it does since it announces that it is only a demo.But from the moment you say it,you know better...I have made some progress today with the program.I got the cable I was waiting for and in a few days,I will be able to start recording,I am so excited about this :yeahhh: !!I may come back for some info though,ain't I a boring one?!?...

Thanks again for everything,if it wasn't for you and your lessons,I wouldn't be in this position right now...I also thank all those who answered and helped me out...You are really fantastic guys!!

All the best,

Theo

Thank you knight46!I am looking forward to learning how to use it and then start doing my own things!I can't wait for the time to come,and it's so close now that I can taste the sweetness!!

All the best,

Theo

I didn't know that it doesn't expire!I was pretty sure it does since it announces that it is only a demo.o

Yeah, the way the Reaper demo is setup is very different from most other applications because the Reaper demo is the 'full program'. There are no limitations (everything you can do in the full program you can also do in the demo) and the demo never expires.

So the Reaper demo really works on the honor system because you could continue to use the demo and never pay for it if you chose to do so. This is what I do, only because I don't actually use Reaper for recording and I just keep it around as a demo. But if I used Reaper for my recordings I would certainly pay for it.

Have fun with Reaper and be sure to post some recordings once you're up and running! :thumbup:

-tkr

Tekker you should tell the people that make Reaper to pay you some commission. Seriously, I mean you help people find it, download it, use it, then they buy it. You should be getting your cut :)