funkypadre

Another bargain--a mod project?

I was trolling this local store and found this Tele copy for $32.50 (it originally retailed for $149.95). I've pulled about 4 guitars out of this store and never paid over $35 for any of them. This is a discontinued brand and it had been sitting in the store for about 3 years. It's a major chain in Texas, and I guess they do this all of the time. So far I've kept one (a Silvertone SIK-11, Shredder), sold one (a Paul Stanley Sovereign Special by Silvertone), given one as a gift (a classical guitar by Telluride--that wasn't bad either), and now this Tele copy.

I've been thinking about doing a mod project and now I think I have a candidate. Anyone know of any good guitar modding guides? I was going to go to Guitar Fetish for ideas on parts, etc.

Anyone have any good resources on painting a guitar?

I tried it out and I was surprised to hear how hot the neck pickup was. Bridge pickup is pretty good. Pots very fair, selector switch seems kind of flimsy, and the tuners and hardware are predictably cheap. But for less than $35, I have something I can mod. Oh, and the color is atrocious.

7188.attach

7189.attach

7190.attach

Yes, I did snap a string on my test run. These were the strings from the original set up and likely, old. I am going to change the strings tonight. I just bought this baby 3 hours ago!

I haven't heard of that model,but it sure looks nice.Congrats.Good luck with your project.Have fun...

Telluride is a company out of Oklahoma. Their guitars are typically at Hastings stores (which is regional chain--I am in Texas). I think they are "out of business" as their website is closed for non-payment (see www.telluride.aandemusic.com), and I have not seen any new products in the stores I mentioned.

They do have a decent, low budget (~$200.00) acoustic electric (see: Telluride TD-5CE: Harmony Central User Reviews) that I am hoping to see marked down at the store from which I purchased this Tele.

Anyway, I saw this as something cheaper than a kit and something on which to experiment. I am moving to North Carolina, so it will have to wait. I will post pics as I modify it.

From the review that you posted,it seems like an impressive instrument.I wish you find it soon and go get it!Good luck with your moving in N.Carolina,I hope it works out great and again good luck with your project.Looking forward to seeing the pictures...Have fun there!See you around...

All the best,

Theo

You are welcome Clif,nice to meet you by the way :) .I think it will be worth it.It is up to you to make it worth it.I think it'll be just fine...Good luck again...

All the best,

Theo

Congrats on the new aquire Clif, good luck with the mod. I am with Kriss, I kind of like the color.

Thanks, Knight. The color is starting to grow on me. I typically like guitars that are more "classic" or traditional in color, but I've found since changing the strings and playing it for 3 days, the color has very little to do with enjoying it.

Great find, yes! That will surely be a lovely project guitar.

And the colour, it is quite different, so it makes it special, loveable.

Here in Spain, I've never been able to see anything go for less than 70 euro (chinese stuff). That would be the cheap of the cheap.

For example, the Paul Stanley Sovereign you sold, in USA you could find it for $99 (or maybe less, as you seem to imply?), here in the few shops that still have it, it is 350€, as special discount 295€, when they have. (and I'm talking about the normal one, not the pro)

Great find, yes! That will surely be a lovely project guitar.

And the colour, it is quite different, so it makes it special, loveable.

Here in Spain, I've never been able to see anything go for less than 70 euro (chinese stuff). That would be the cheap of the cheap.

For example, the Paul Stanley Sovereign you sold, in USA you could find it for $99 (or maybe less, as you seem to imply?), here in the few shops that still have it, it is 350€, as special discount 295€, when they have. (and I'm talking about the normal one, not the pro)

I've been a magnet for cheap guitars, but I think that this particular Hastings store is inclined to "dump" guitars rather than keep them on the shelves. I've been lucky enough to catch them as they were marked down. I paid $35 for that Paul Stanley Sovereign Special and then sold it months later for $135 on E-bay. I liked the guitar, but my wife was tired of the space that my guitars were taking in the home. Now I wish that I kept it.

Anyway, $35 is an anomaly for a guitar--even Chinese made guitars. I have seen those Sovereigns for $99 on Ebay, but not retail. I think retailers were selling them as low as $129 at one time.

Congrats, that's a steal for a project Tele! :yes: I'm with Kriss and knight46, I think the color is cool.

GFS is a great site for parts - I've heard a lot of good things about their pickups, and they're very affordable. Warmoth also sells a variety of stuff, as does Angela.com. Nice suggestion by Allthumbs for Glendale, too - their stuff isn't cheap, but their quality is great.

If you haven't already, visit the Telecaster Discussion Page and read some of the build/mod threads - you can pick up some great ideas and also a lot of tips and tricks.

Oh man, Stratrat, thanks for all of those recommendations. The color is kind of growing on me. I am a bit of a traditionalist, but I think it's got a different feel.

I'll check out those sites!

I put the GFS Lil Puncher pups in my Affinity Tele. I also got some string ferrules and converted it to a string-thru body. GFS also has a Wilkinson 3 brass saddle bridge that I put in my Std Tele and it sounds pretty good. I may end up getting one for the Affinity.

FLY--

How many Tele's do you have now? Do you have the Squier Standard Tele, and how does it compare with the Affinity?

I am wanting a Tele (I know I just gave that bargain away), and I am trying to decide between the Squier Affinity, Squier Standard and the Mexi Tele. I'd love to know your take.

Thanks,

Clif

What a great colour, honestly. I really like it. No way I'd be changing that part of it.

I'm interested to hear Flys reviews of Teles too.

I have the Squier Affinity Tele, modded with GFS Lil Puncher SC sized humbuckers, and 500K push pull pots fro coil splitting. I converted it to string thru to add to the sustain. I really like the tone and the way it plays. Splitting the coils only changes the tone slightly with a noticable output drop, but It was worth putting in.

I also have a std Tele that I had put a Bigsby on and then took it off because I didn't like the bridge that came with it. So the Std has some battle scars. I put a Wilkenson 3 brass saddle bridge on it and I think it's an improvement in tone.

I also recently picked up a like new Nashville Tele for around $300 on Craigslist. I couldn't pass it up. I haven't set it up yet to my liking but like playing it. I'm not thinking of any mods to it yet.

I'd keep the color too!

No word of a lie fly, but my Affinity has more sustain than my Nashville. If the string-through body thing is for sustain, there's no need on mine. It's quite lively and sustains for days. I'm really impressed with it, but I think I may have got a good one.

My Nashville, by contrast hasn't got near as much sustain, it lacks treble too. I'm actually going to trade/ mod my Nashville first. Mine may be a factory 2nd though. It sounds kind of mellow and weak. My wife says it sounds "nice." Nice??? I want bite and bark from the bridge pickup. Nice!??? I think the overwound pickups take away a lot of the tone.

Is the standard the "best" of your three for sound, or do you have a soft spot for the Affinity now?

The Std and Affinity are different enough now that they fit different needs. I may get another Wilkenson bridge fro the Affinity. I still haven't completely warmed up to the Nashville yet, but I haven't taken the time to set it up the way I like yet either. The pups sound pretty good to me and I like the 5 way switch setup like the strat. The stock neck pup on my Affinity was noticeably weak. I've have to sit down and compare the three.