Madmax777111

Beginners questions

Im pretty new at this.

Ive been kicking around the idea of getting a guitar for a while now but never really got around to it. Now im actually ready to buy one. My buddy has been giving me advice but i wanted a second opinion.

Im into alternative music and pop punk like all time low the starting line cartel stuff like that.

I have no clue what to get but my buddy recommends starting with acoustic so i checked out an acoustic electric. Seeing as i know squat about guitars I was wondering if this was a good choice.

The guitar is the Ibanez V70CE.

I want to play guitar just to learn something new. Its cool, its gotta be fun, and its challenging.

I dont really want anything from playing other than picking up something i dont know how to do.

Pretty much any free time that i have excluding sports and academics ill spend practicing.

My attitude towards it is to not buy the cheapest thing out there but not spend 3000$ on a new gibson. I want something that will last if i stick with it and that looks pretty cool. I have like 300$ saved already but i could easily save another 500$.

I would really appreciate any responses.

Hi Madmax,

It varies on which way people start playing some guys start with an acoustic then move on to electric some just Jump straight in and go for electric, to be honest I haven't got a strong opinion on what a player should start on, the kind of music you like can influence this as that's what you're going to want to play the most, the best thing for you to do could be to head down to your nearest guitar center with your Buddy and try a load of guitars out with them, I know your just starting so you're not playing yet but your Buddy will be able to play some and you can hear which guitar sounds good to you it also gives you the opportunity to get your hands on guitars and find one you're comfortable with, one of the biggest problems that can hold back a new player is having a guitar they can't get on with, it's always best to check a load out if you can, on top of that it's a pretty cool way to spend a day:winkthumb:

Hi Madmax,

It varies on which way people start playing some guys start with an acoustic then move on to electric some just Jump straight in and go for electric,

I was one that started on electric. I dont think it hampered me in any way really. I have since bought an acoustic which I play a lot more than the electric, but like starsailor said, it depends on what kind of music you want to play.

I've read some reviews on that Ibanez(as I was considering one when I bought my acoustic). Haven't read anything bad about it...reviews were actually pretty good.

here's one I checked out...sounded pretty unbiased to me

Ibanez V70CE Review Acoustic Electric Guitar | Wiser-Rocker.com

thanks maddog... the review helped...i still think im gonna go to guitar center and get the feel for some other guitars and then ill make my decision. I do appreciate the feedback on the Ibanez

You know what options you have...thats a start. If you're going there, you might as well play everything in your price range...never know what you might find. Could even end up with something in the lower end like Mitchell that acutally sounds decent. I'm convinced those guitars are VERY individual. I've picked up 3 or 4 different guitars of the same model and they all sound different. They also make an electric-acoustic and for the price I'd definitely give it a whirl and see what you think.

When I was checking out these AE guitars, I actually ended up getting just a plain old acoustic. Depending on where you're playing, you might be able to get a nicer acoustic for what you'd pay for an electric acoustic and an amp, but that's just my opinion. My Yamaha carries pretty well without the electronics. But in the end, I really bought the acoustic because it was a good deal and I didn't really have enough cashflow to buy an amp for it right away.

Hello Madmax777111...

In my opinion,if you never played the guitar,you should try for a couple of weeks to play with one to see if you really want to start on this road.I guess that will be better than spending an amount of money and not actually dedicate to it...Now if you know for sure that you want to learn to play the guitar,there are many opinions there.There are a lot of guys that would say that it is better to start with an acoustic.Indeed the acoustic is a very pretious school for any guitarist before changing to an electric,but then there are others that start directly with an electric.It's all up to you.Ibanez guitars are very good and the model that you said is made out of pretty good wood,so it should sound all right(don't spend too much money on an acoustic though if you want to move on to an electric later,you will need the budget for a good amp too).The best way to pick up one that you really want is what starsailor suggested.Once you hear it,you will know which is the one for you...Good luck picking up the best guitar for you,have fun searching for it and then enjoy learning how to play... :)

MadMax,

Great advice above...spend as much time as possible playing any and ever guitar you can get your hands on. One will speak to you and when she does, look out.

Personally I'm not a fan of the quality on Ibanez's under $400. Dunno if the same applies to AE's because ive never played an AE of theirs. Thats kinda where I'd draw the "mid range" line.

There is nothing wrong with starting out with electric. That's what I did. If it's what inspires you, go with it! If my dad had gotten me a nylon string classical instead of an RG for christmas a year and a half ago, I would have given up playing along time ago.

Might wanna check thes articles out: Musician's Friend - Acoustic Guitar Buying Guide at MusiciansFriend.com

Musician's Friend - Electric Guitar Buying Guide from MusiciansFriend.com