carol m

A Conversation.....

carol m    64

That's interesting Noodler - that toothpic idea is the sort of thing I was thinking of if the wood of the body has been torn/damaged. Are toothpics a hardwood? I doubt that matchsiticks are. If necessary, you could drill out a larger circle and get dowling or some hardwood specially cut to fit the hole, and then bash it in with a hammer (plus glue!). I'm sure something along those lines would have a chance of success.

Meanwhile the cheapy black one hasn't seen the light of day since I got my Samick (still in the back of the cupboard).

Yes, I like the new one better too (almost the same colour as yours I noticed!!!!). Guitar guy couldn't possibly have known that the only guitar colour better than black is blue/green! I didn't stand a chance - it was love at first sight (it's good to play too :laughingg: )

karcey    42

Carol, there a heaps of products on the market which are designed for the amateur user and are stronger than the original timber. All of the ideas mentioned so far will hold the neck securely. If it were mine I'd probably use a "builder's bog" type product to fill the holes and then redrill the holes to take the existing screws. Biggest problem you face is what to do with the rest of the stuff you buy ... you'll only need a thimbleful you know. Pity you don't live a bit closer to Newcastle ... we could have it done in no time.

The rest of the instrument looks perfect for you to try your setup skills. Keep us posted.

carol m    64

What's 'builder's bog'? Our handyman (and his offsider is a cabinet maker) will probably have a whole arsenal of glue and timber off-cuts to use.

karcey    42

These two part epoxy fillers stick extremely well and can be drilled, sanded shaped etc.

The trick to fixing a neck is to maintain the original alignment, assuming of course that the person who made it in the first place lined it up properly.

So get rid of the strings and remove the neck. Clean away any loose timber from around the top of the holes. Then fit the neck and work out which are the best two holes. They will at least feel firm when you put the screws in. (There are always a couple of good ones, so don't fret.)

Then remove the neck and fill the worst holes with filler, working it right down into the holes. You don't have a long time before the stuff goes off so don't muck about. Clean off the surface so it's not above the level of the timber. When it's gone hard (leave it for as long as the instructions say) reassemble the neck using the two good screw holes and then redrill the two filled holes to take the screws. After the screws have cut their new threads you'll have two new good holes and two old holes. Repeat the filling steps for the old holes and you'll end up with four good new threaded holes which will be as strong or stronger than the originals. Doing the job in two steps means the alignment of the neck will not have changed.

Easy? Very easy!

The job is best done over a period of time, but each step is in itself is very quick. You could even do one hole at a time if you wanted to.

Overdrilling the holes and plugging with a dowell is effectively the same, but nowhere near as easy as filler.

carol m    64

Thanks for that info Karcey. I'll get some builder's bog, unscrew the neck, do the first 2 holes so that when Emelio arrives (his usual reply to 'When are you coming?' is 'After tomorrow!' and he has no idea how fiendishly clever this is) he can screw in the first two (he'd be much better at it than me). Then do the 2 other holes myself and get him to screw those as well. He will be here for a couple of days so that should be perfect.

I fancy myself as a bit of a small time fix-it person so that should work well. Thanks for you tips, karcey, it's much appreciated. I'll tell you how it goes...after tomorrow! :)

carol m    64

Update on the black ebay guitar in need of first aid. All fixed. Plays really well, comfortable and has a slightly different sound from the Samick. Now I need a guitar rack (to hold 5 for the ones I have, or a 7 if I'm being realistic!) because my single original nylon string guitar has found a few more play-mates than I anticipated!

Thanks for all your help guys. it was the Builder's Bog that got the nod.:winkthumb:

starsailor    20

Great Job Carol, 2 nice guitars for $160, you certainly have an eye for a bargain, doesn't get much better than that, Kudo's to you on the repairs, nice one:claping: :winkthumb: