carol m

A Conversation.....

carol m    64

This is a conversation/incident that occured at a local guitar shop today:

Customer: Can you do a set-up on this Stat Copy I bought on ebay for $40?

Guitar guy: Snorts of outrage/amusement and calling his mates over to have a look. Much amusement all round!

Customer: It only cost $40.......:blush:

More gasps and chuckles......as he grabs a passing muso to have a look and a good laugh.......

Making a long story short......the action was so high because there was space between the neck and the body (screws were coming loose) where the strings were pulling the neck off the body, and the screws holding the bridge down were lifting as well.

Guitar guy: You could have this new lefty Samick for $120!

Customer: But what about the sound? Doesn't the Strat copy have better sounding pick-ups?

Guitar guy plugs in both guitars and tests the pickups on both. The customer is not sure she can really tell from one quick listen.

Customer: How much would it cost to fix up the Strat Copy?

Guitar guy: About $120.

That's when inspiration struck :yeahhh:

Customer: I suppose I could buy the Samick, and fix the Strat copy myself!!!!!

Guitar guy: Good idea, and if you bring it in I'll help you do it!!!

When the customer notices a scratch on the Samick, it turns out its second hand.......

Guitar guy: But a second hand guitar for $120 is better quality than a new guitar for $120 isn't it? It stands to reason.

(Hi Rocco if you're reading this! You have a guitar shop - you're a salesman - it's OK, I get it!)

By now, guitar guy is changing the strings and cleaning up the Samick for the customer. The customer casually mentions that she gets lots of help and info from a Guitar website. No response from Guitar guy.

Customer (real casual): It's run by Kirk Lorange.

Guitar guy stops and looks up: Gasp! Not THE Kirk Lorange????

Customer: That's him.

Guitar guy: Not......Plane Talk?????

Customer (super cool): The very one!

Guitar guy: Kirk's a legend!!

Customer (a little smug): I know!

Guitar guy: We used to play one of his CDs all the time! He used to play a lot at the Bridge Hotel. He's such a great teacher and its because he's a musician etc etc etc.....

So that's what happened. A true story - only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

The Samick is blue/green with a white pick-guard (:wow: )and some pics will follow in a couple of days.

GotDeeBlues    3

Great morning read, Carol. I have played Samick for a couple years now and like them a lot. I just purchased a Royale semi hollow. Let's not tout them as being as good as they are, or the prices will start to go up once people lose the "low grade" opinion of them.

Noodler    1
Guitar guy: Good idea, and if you bring it in I'll help you do it!!!

That's a very nice offer, if it was genuine. I'd take that. If it requires a truss rod adjustment or anything you might be getting a set-up for free. That's incredibly kind. You had a real win there, Carol.

carol m    64
That's a very nice offer, if it was genuine. I'd take that. If it requires a truss rod adjustment or anything you might be getting a set-up for free. That's incredibly kind. You had a real win there, Carol.

Yes he's a good guy. I will need to pull out all the screws and fill up with artificial wood, then re-screw etc. Maybe change the lead input thing which is a bit loose and causes intermittent interference. Plus new strings and a turn or two of the truss rod. It doesn't seem that difficult to me. I will certainly take him up on his offer if I need to.

But....I'm going to be a bit busy with my new guitar (and new second hand Mac + Garage Band)....and the Strat copy is already in the back of the closet!

I reckon he deserves a plug: music101.biz - Home Thanks Rocco :winkthumb:

phodent    0

$100 guitars can still earn you money. At one time I had to sell my G#####h to buy a new fridge an pay rent so the $100.00 guitar was my axe for about 3 years. Over that time frame I added Schaller machine heads and put in an e******e pickup as well as a splitcoil g pup. Last i heard a very well known Sydney based blues band were using it. Moral of the story work with the tools on hand.

carol m    64

Exactly Phodent. Now I have a nice shiny new one to play (with a playable action), and one to practice my woodworking skills on. :winkthumb:

si16    10

Guitar guy stops and looks up: Gasp! Not THE Kirk Lorange????

Kirk Lorange? Can't say I've ever heard of him.

carol m    64
oh my.....looks like GAS to me LOL!! Great deal Carol.

You betcha!! :devil2:

The new guitar is soooo pretty :wow: I was powerless...just had to give it a good home...

Kirk Lorange    128

I only just found this ... very funny.

The other day the phone rang, it was a charity asking for money. The girl asked if I was Kirk Lorange and then said "Kirk Lorange? Wow, my boyfriend's a musician, he thinks you're great, in fact two boyfriends I've had know all about you ... wow, wait till I tell him I was speaking to THE Kirk Lorange" and on and on she went.

Needless to say I had my wallet out and credit card ready.

I had a friend Pio Carlone years ago who was an artist. I lost touch with him but started hearing about him as he was a great painter. Then I bumped into him and said Hey Pio, "You're famous" he said "How did you know?" ... I said "Because you're famous". His face lit up.

Sentry    0

Great story, although I started seeing red when you described the derision with which they treated the strat copy. When I tried to find out about replacing the broken nut on my strat when I first got it, I got the same treatment at Rudy's Guitar Shop here in New York and also at Sam Ash, just because my strat is a Made In Japan strat instead of a "real" strat. Pissed me off to no end. It may not be a 1960 Vintage Strat in mint condition worth $10,000, but it's special to me. Every guitar is special to someone at some point in time. The kind of snobbery exhibited by the salesmen I dealt with and exhibited at first by the one you dealt with is unprofessional and potentially hurtful. They may as well insult my girlfriend while they're at it.

Eventually I took my guitar to Manny's Music and the salesman there told me "In addition to the nut being broken, the frets are a little worn, but otherwise this is a great guitar". Because my strat has a trem he also advised me to use a Graph-Tec graphite nut, which his store doesn't carry, instead of trying to charge me $100 to put a plastic nut on like the guy at Sam Ash tried to do. So... the other guys laughed at my guitar, and the guy at Manny's Music admired it. The other guys tried to rip me off, and the guy at Manny's Music gave me the best advice he could even though it meant losing a sale to an online catalog.

I have since purchased a capo, strap, strings, slide, pickguard, and books from Manny's Music. When I'm finally ready to purchase that Gretsch hollowbody electric I dream of, I'll buy it from Manny's Music. Any and all amps, effects boxes, and everything else related to music I will buy exclusively from Manny's Music. Sam Ash and Rudy's Guitar Shop have not and will not get a penny from me. Rocco could maybe learn something from that.

Anyway, enough bile from me. Glad everything worked out ok for you. I'd love to see some pics of both the Samick and the strat copy.

Noodler    1
my strat is a Made In Japan strat instead of a "real" strat.

Eventually I took my guitar to Manny's Music and the salesman there told me "In addition to the nut being broken, the frets are a little worn, but otherwise this is a great guitar".

When was your MIJ made? You know, a lot of people seek those out. The build quality is supposed to be good. MIJ is often a selling point.

I recently took my Yamaha Pacifica into a shop, and the guy in the shop, instead of turning up his nose, told me it is a Mike Stern signature model, he's got the same one. I actually bought it because it had Tele twang. I've since bought a MIM Tele and the Pacifica actually sounds better. As far as I know, there is no law of physics that dictates that the vibrations of a guitar string curl around the Fender logo and come off the guitar with more specialness...

Sentry    0

Mine was made sometime between 1984 and 1987. Because of the way Fender of Japan handled serial numbers it's impossible to tell more specifically than that. Regardless, I love my guitar. Doesn't matter to me whether it's worth $10 or $10,000, it's not for sale. Which of course means it's quite literally priceless. :yes:

Looked up the Pacifica Mike Stern Signature model and it looks like a great guitar, at least to my untrained eye. If I were in the market for a tele-style guitar, I'd probably buy a Pacifica like yours instead of an actual Fender telecaster. If the materials and quality of craftmanship are about the same, why pay extra for a logo?

Really, though, the guitar snobbery that occurs in some guitar shops is incomprehensible to me. Even if my guitar were made by a cross-eyed, mentally-challenged chimpanzee out of plywood and elmer's glue, if I like the sound and feel of it then it's a good guitar for me, right?

Noodler    1

Quite right. My favourite guitar is my Onyx Strat copy. It was made about 1989, and after High School sat in my parents' cupboard for 10 years. I took it to get rewired and setup and the repair guy loved it. It has an etching on it that you can't see in photos. Someone else asked the repairer what it was made of. He answered, "It's plywood. But gee it's warm plywood! You got lucky!" He was also excited cos it's naturally aged. Seriously, put it on neck pup and it is a strat.

I know what you mean about it being special. That guitar monetarily is probably worth, well, not very much. But I would not swap you for a 2008 American Strat. No way. As you say, you can't put a dollar value on "special to me, was with me when I had my first girlfriend, when I played live for the first time, etc."

7406.attach

carol m    64

Kirk: it was a geat pleasure to trump this guy after his earlier derision, so clearly fame has its advantages - especially if it's second hand. Thanks

Sentry: thinking back, I suspect he had me targeted from the first minute - a lefty who knew little about electric guitars and a second hand electric left-hander hanging on his wall. The perfect match. I'm not complaining though - I got to pay him back and I got a guitar that I love which is easy to play.

I posted a pic of the new one here http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/lets-see-your-equipment/20887-my-new-family-member/

Here are some pics of the $40 special. Looks the same as the new one (but black and white) but these I took to try and show the gaps between neck and body, and saddle and body. I'm sure they are not the huge 'deal' the salesman made them out to be.

7408.attach

7409.attach

7410.attach

Sentry    0
I'm sure they are not the huge 'deal' the salesman made them out to be.

Don't know much about guitars, but I know enough about wood to know that if the screws are loose because they're pulling out of the wood (i.e. the threads of the screws are tearing wood out) then that's a pretty big problem considering that both the neck and the bridge need to be able to withstand a lot of tension. Assuming the guitar's scale length is 25.5 inches and assuming you're using regular 0.010 - 0.046 gauge strings, that's a total of just over 107 lbs of tension when tuned to standard pitch! (Umm... that's over 48 kg for you metric-using people)

carol m    64

I probably know a lot less about wood than you, but I will see what I can do. The low cost means I can try anything without risking much. Our trusty handyman will be doing some work here in a couple of weeks and I'll ask him what he thinks. There must be options like plastic wood, longer/bigger screws, even hammering in a plug of real wood into the holes and starting over. Maybe you can cut out a wedge of wood with the damaged holes and srew/glue in a whole new section to screw the neck into. I doubt the sound would change would it? It's just a mechanical stress problem isn't it? (Laugh if you want to, I won't mind!).:winkthumb:

Noodler    1

Carol, I think one option is to put splinters of toothpicks/ matches into the holes and simply rescrew. The extra timber fills out the hole. To quote "the Bible":

"Plug the hole with pointed strips of hardwood which have been liberally coated with glue. Use the same technique to give grip to screws if the old holes are too large for them." From The Guitar Handbook.

The above advice was about fitting new machine heads, which are under pressure. I can post a pic if you decide to try that.

I like the one they sold you much better than the ebay one. Could go nicely with a different colour pick-guard though. Maple necks are hot.