Interval Ear Trainer

5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   r1p32

• Active Members
  • 173 posts
  • Joined 25-December 05

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:09 AM

Hi!

I'm so glad I found this tool, but how the heck do you use it? I mean, how are you supposed to know what the interval just by hearing it? I know what intervals are, is it just a matter of memorization?

Thanks

#2 OFFLINE   Chaotic Kittie

• Active Members
  • 804 posts
  • Joined 29-April 06

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:20 AM

Listening, and memorizing, yes.
It can take some time before you start to recognize a particular interval, but you'll get there if you keep listening to it.
Take some time first to listen a lot to each and every interval.
An idea is to connect every interval to a song you know.
For my part, I know the Perfect 5th as the first interval in the Star Wars theme song. etc etc.

My advice is that you start off by practising the minor and major 3rd, the 4th and the 5th, then when you've got those down you can move on to the minor and major 2nds, which will be very recognizable by then. These are IMHO the most important intervals to know, so focus on those first, and let the rest of them come later.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

#3 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,249 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:01 AM

The first 2 notes of Over the Rainbow is an octave. There are other memory joggers that I've forgotten(!) Maybe make up your own would be a way to remember a few (play the interval and go through the songs you know and find one that fits).
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#4 OFFLINE   knight46

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,822 posts
  • Joined 21-February 07

Posted 13 June 2008 - 07:15 AM

r1p32,
Fretsource has an excellent reference on http://www.guitarfor...2-ear-training/ here.

#5 OFFLINE   r1p32

• Active Members
  • 173 posts
  • Joined 25-December 05

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:55 PM

Thanks so much, this is all a great help!

#6 OFFLINE   Noodler

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,305 posts
  • Joined 06-August 07

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:15 AM

Yeah, it's called a trainer to help you memorise them. Some lucky devils have no problem with that, and can remember them very easily. The rest of us have to work on it over time.

Thanks to Fretsource for that tool. It is a great, fun thing to have.
Would be cool if he expanded it to include intervals from notes other than C and descending intervals too. I'd buy that if he wanted to sell it on a CD or something. I really appreciate the one we've got here and use it a lot.

Anyone else have to get their "ear in" ie get better at it after the first few?
"Everybody understands the blues..."- Albert King

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users