New Interference with New Computer.

22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,251 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:36 AM

I got my Tascam connected to my new computer. I downloaded Audacity and tried it out. I get a regular interference blip which I recorded for a diagnosis!

It's on both mic and guitar in. On this recording I have boosted the sound with volumes on max and some compression so its easier to hear. I don't think the hiss is a problem at normal levels, but the bleeping is. It never happened on my old computer. I've switched off lights etc and nothing got rid of it. I'm guessing its the 50Hz thingy (don't know anything about it, and even less about how to get rid of it!)

I'm going to download Reaper now to see if it's there as well. In the meantime, any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Attached Files

One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#2 OFFLINE   knight46

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,822 posts
  • Joined 21-February 07

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:56 AM

Carol,
I used Audacity for a while but can't really remember, does it have a built in metronome? That sound is cyclical but sounded an awful lot like a midi metronome. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I am sure someone will be able to assist.

#3 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,251 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:21 AM

Hi Knight, I looked to see if a click track was playing - no sign of one from what I could see. When I get Reaper going, that might give a clue. :)
One good thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley

#4 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,251 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:18 AM

Bad news! I'm getting the same bleep in Reaper as well...:brickwall:

and for those that were reading the other thread about Vista, the courier has lost my Macbook...I'm having a bad week!

#5 OFFLINE   knight46

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,822 posts
  • Joined 21-February 07

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:23 AM

Sorry to hear that the problem is persistant, maybe someone can come to the rescue.

#6 OFFLINE   starsailor

Prolific Member

• Active Members

• 6,877 posts
  • Joined 03-February 07

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:31 AM

carol m said:

Bad news! I'm getting the same bleep in Reaper as well...:brickwall:

and for those that were reading the other thread about Vista, the courier has lost my Macbook...I'm having a bad week!

Which Tascam have you got Carol, I'm having a bad week Courier wise the Aardvark soundcard I bought from the US in April is still floating around somewhere I'm having an argument with the Courier at the moment who vaguely know where it is, I used all my swear words up on them yesterday.
Anyway you mentioned the 50hz thingy is that to do with the wordclock is that mentioned in the manual at all, that sound is very consistent.
You don't stop laughing when you grow old; you grow old when you stop laughing.

#7 OFFLINE   Stratrat

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,924 posts
  • Joined 24-August 06

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:01 AM

That definitely sounds like some kind of metronome, Carol. Does the Tascam have a metronome or click track of some kind built into it?

It doesn't sound like the default click track that Audacity uses - it's much too low-pitched - so I'd suspect it's coming from elsewhere. The fact that you got it in Reaper too leads me to believe it's in the Tascam somewhere. I haven't messed with midi yet, so don't know if the wordclock could cause such a thing or not.

Sorry to hear about the troubles with your lost Mac, too - hope it all works out for you!!!
Mac

"I wish I could play that fast - then I would have the option of not doing that."

#8 OFFLINE   Rockerbob

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,482 posts
  • Joined 01-February 06

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:27 AM

That sounds like a kick drum. perhaps the click is sending out a MIDI note being picked up by internal sounds.

#9 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,251 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:27 PM

I don't think it's the Tascam because it doesn't have its own metronome or click track - I haven't loaded the software package that comes with it. The other thing is that I haven't changed anything on the Tascam and I didn't have it before. Today I'm going to try plugging straight into the computer via line in (not using the Tascam) and see what I get.

I'm not sure what effects the 50Hz might produce - I think its the current (?) used by household electricity systems that can sometimes be a problem (what sort of problem I've no idea).

It crosses my mind that my old computer is sitting there unused (possibly feeling rejected?) and sending bad vibes? If I was getting my Mac I could have used that for recording.

If necessary I could use my old computer for recording but that would be a pain and take up all my space and patience.

PS It's time my hardware learnt who is the boss around here :devil2:

#10 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,251 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:33 PM

I've just timed it and it's at 100bpm so maybe that would fit with a 50Hz problem (AC current?) OK, I'm waaay out of my depth in the Physics department here :laughingg:

#11 OFFLINE   Stratrat

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,924 posts
  • Joined 24-August 06

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:39 PM

You're outside of my depth of expertise also, but I've never heard of household current causing a rhythmic sound like you recorded. Over here our AC current is 60Hz, and it usually manifests itself in a 'hum'.
Mac

"I wish I could play that fast - then I would have the option of not doing that."

#12 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,251 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:58 PM

The news gets worse- I get the same bleep with nothing at all plugged in :eek:

#13 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:56 PM

That is a very strange problem.

I've never heard 50Hz/60Hz buzz do that either. This is what 60Hz buzz sounds like:
Image:Mains hum 60 Hz.ogg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think it's a metronome/click track either. Especially since it is doing that in Reaper, because that is definitely not Reaper's click sound.

You're using Vista, correct? If so, I'd say look no further. ;)
Do you have the latest driver for the Tascam installed?

-tkr
'Cause I don't wanna read the book, I'll watch the movie.

Tekker's Lessons on GfB&B: Music Theory, Recording, and General Guitar

#14 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,251 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:11 PM

Hi Tekker, I'm on XP Prof SP2 (AMD not Intel). It has to be the computer itself because if I click Record on Freecorder, I get the bleeping with nothing at all plugged in. My computer has its own heartbeat!

#15 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,251 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:16 PM

OMG!!!! It's gone!!!!! I'm going to experiment with every light and power source in the house!

#16 OFFLINE   Stratrat

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,924 posts
  • Joined 24-August 06

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:40 AM

carol m said:

Hi Tekker, I'm on XP Prof SP2 (AMD not Intel)....
Awwwww, we don't get to blame Vista for it??? You're no fun at all! :lol:
Mac

#17 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,251 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:08 AM

Go pick on some other PC Stratrat- my PC is coooool - and it sometimes has a heartbeat :wow: - I bet no MAC has that!

Besides, MACs clearly have a mind of their own and can go off with complete strangers - even couriers!!

(and we don't mention Vista within earshot of any of our gear) :winkthumb:

#18 OFFLINE   Stratrat

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 3,924 posts
  • Joined 24-August 06

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:44 AM

carol m said:

...Besides, MACs clearly have a mind of their own and can go off with complete strangers - even couriers!!
Yep - must be the influence o' them free-thinkin', sandal-wearin' hippies up in Cupertino that build 'em! :yes:

I've been messing around a bit with GarageBand when I have time, trying to put together a backing track to play over. As soon as I manage to sit down long enough to get something together, I'll post it. I'm going to see if it has a "heartbeat" effect in there somewhere just for you, Carol! :D
Mac

#19 OFFLINE   carol m

Songwriting Moderator

• Moderators

• 7,251 posts
  • Joined 21-March 06

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:48 AM

I'm looking forward to that, Mac :winkthumb:

#20 OFFLINE   Tekker

Lesson Contributor

• Lesson Contributors

• 1,396 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:29 PM

Stratrat said:

Awwwww, we don't get to blame Vista for it??? You're no fun at all! :lol:
Darn, and I had a whole bunch of Vista wisecracks ready to go.... Oh well. :dunno:;)

-tkr
'Cause I don't wanna read the book, I'll watch the movie.

Tekker's Lessons on GfB&B: Music Theory, Recording, and General Guitar

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users