carol m

Problem downloading drivers for Tascam.

carol m    64

I tried to download the drivers for my old Tascam 122 on my new XP SP2 cpu. I even read the manual! I had 2 options, use the exe files on the CD that came with it or look for more recent drivers (recommended by the Tascam website). I downloaded the v 3.30.32 for XP and 2000 (not the very latest which is for XP and Vista (just in case!). When I got to the install wizard I got

Designed for Microsoft Windows XP Logo

Hardware and software products displaying the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo have been tested for compatibility with Microsoft Windows operating systems through use of Microsoft-provided testing procedures. For the best performance, Microsoft recommends using hardware products that display the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo on the external packaging and on the device itself.

Software for hardware products with the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo has a digital signature from Microsoft, indicating that the product was tested for compatibility with Windows and has not been altered since testing.

For the latest updates, including security fixes, service packs, new Help files, and device drivers, see Windows Update in Help and Support Center. You may also want to contact the hardware vendor directly and ask for a device driver that has met the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo requirements.

For more information, visit the Microsoft Windows Logo Program (go to Microsoft Corporation and search for "Windows logo program") on the Microsoft Web site.

Warning!

Microsoft strongly recommends you only use device drivers with the Designed for Microsoft Windows XP logo. Installing device drivers that have not been digitally-signed by Microsoft may disable the system, allow viruses onto your computer, or otherwise impair the correct operation of your computer either immediately or in the future.

OK, that scared me alright. I aborted the install but after several 'Cancels' it finally gave up warning me and offered me a 'Next', but when I clicked next (cancel) it told me 'Drivers successfully installed'. So I uninstalled immediately.

I tried the exe file from the CD that came with the Tascam and the same thing happened. I uninstalled again.

The Tascam website says my machine (and the drivers I tried to download) is compatible with XP SP2 and the previous owner was running it on XP. I had installed the same machine with no problem on my old W2000 set up.

Any ideas? I don't want to damage my new (and expensive) system.

NOTE I just found a pdf at the Tascam site that says

Double-click the installer and follow the on-screen instructions, making sure your interface is disconnected

or switched off. When the installer alerts you that the device has not passed Windows logo certifi cation, click

“Continue Anyway.” (the bold font is my edit).

Should I believe them ?:dunno:

OldG    3

Go ahead and install,Carol. That's just XP being a pain...

It'll do that scary message shizz with a lot of drivers you wanna install - you'll get used to it after a while!

XP is the stablest , strongest Windows imho, don't worry about breaking it.

OldG    3

Oops, should have mentioned my Tascam 1804FW interface installs in the same way you describe - It works a treat.

carol m    64

Thanks Old G.

When I found that pdf on the Tascam site that specifically dealt with exactly that step, I thought it was probably a Microsoft scare campaign. Those @$%&* know exactly how to scare a person :eek: Why do they do that? I don't have a choice so what do they gain??? I don't mind so much if I'm risking the Tascam, but they threaten you with damaging your whole system!

Rockerbob    47

Yeah, what OldG said. Micro$oft warns you anytime they haven't "blessed" any software. And they don't bless it for free.

"Warning! Warning! SMD! SMD!" Software of Mass Destruction

carol m    64
Yeah, what OldG said. Micro$oft warns you anytime they haven't "blessed" any software. And they don't bless it for free.

"Warning! Warning! SMD! SMD!" Software of Mass Destruction

I thought I had problems before.......now a Windows upgrade they offered me has failed and taken Adobe, my Printer exe files (at least) with it, and the Windows Update Log tells me its a “Cannot recover from 'get Config:0x8024400a'” error that's affecting all sorts of systems........:brickwall:

I thought you said XP was unbreakable Old G!!!!

Luckily I have a techy guy who sold it and installed it, but I have to get him to fix it now.

We had a Prime Minister once who said, "Life wasn't meant to be easy" while he swanned about in chauffeur driven limousines...........:crying2:

OldG    3

Hmm, Try start>all programs> accessories> system tools> system restore and step back in time to before the 'upgrade'

carol m    64
Hmm, Try start>all programs> accessories> system tools> system restore and step back in time to before the 'upgrade'

Was there ever a man so wild and so free

That could hold up a candle to my friend Old G?

Into the breach with courage so bold

When I told him the story that had turned my blood cold

“Don’t fret“ was the message and “Oh, by the way-

Look in Restore, such a move could replay

To earlier times when my system ran free”

A press of a button.......Oh what joy and what glee!

My hero in England had brought it all back

Now my puter is glowing and not being slack

My short cuts restored, and my printer as well

What a man is Old G! I think that he’s swell!

I’d buy you a drink and some flowers to boot

If I still lived in England, but I pulled up my roots

And live far away (I was always resilient)

But I send you my thanks, and say “#@$%& Brilliant!!!!”

:yeahhh::clap::claping::winner::drinking:

As a matter of interest (to me anyway!) was that in the System restore box, it showed an install of Windows Media Player 11 (I am using v 9.0.0.3250) exactly when the update crashed part of my system. Now I'm back to what I had before. If I get another update offer, should I accept? (it didn't specify what the update was at the time as far as I can remember).

OldG    3

:) Thanks Carol, as I said XP is strong - if something does go wrong, there is usually an easy fix :winkthumb:

If you're a bit wary of windows updates, how about making a restore point before you apply the upgrade - takes the gamble out of it then...

And most of all Don't worry! The worst that can happen can be fixed by starting up with the XP disc in the drive, and installing it over itself.

You get new clean system with all your data still intact - I 've been running like this for years now. So, chill and enjoy your new PC - you can't break it just by using it( although it'll get a bad headache sometime along the way).:)