thodwris

Looking for a new acoustic...

thodwris    1

Hello all...

At the moment I have a Fender CD-60 NA.It is quite good,but I would like to get a new one that sounds a little bit better.I know that a top quality acoustic is very expensive(I can see in different sites that it can cost up to 5000 euro),but I don't have that kind of money to invest.I was thinking something at about 300 and I primarily want to ask if that is possible.Can I get a good acoustic for 300 euro or I am just dreaming?I don't know the kind of wood that makes an acoustic sound better and as a beginner my only thought is that a guitar three times the cost of the one I have now,must be better and sound better...

Please feel free to give me your suggestions,I am kind of desperate.I think this is the best place to answer this question and I hope with your suggestions to make the best choice...

All the best,

Theo

allthumbs    8

Give us a list of what is available in your area. The last thing you want to do is pay huge shipping costs and customs duty. Can you convert the euros into US dollars. Give us a better idea of pricing.

thodwris    1

Hello allthumbs,thank you for your responce...

I don't really care about shipping or customs because in a way or another,I could not find something good here,noone really invests much in guitars.Besides that,even if I buy it directly from a shop here,it will have the same price as if I ordered it from Germany for instance....Anyway,I was thinking about getting the Yamaha FG 730S NT or the Ibanez AW 85 RLG.They are two guitars that got my atttention and in my opinion would be just about the best I could get for the kind of money I want to offer.I am not an expert though so I would certainly need another opinion.300 euro is about 450-500 american dollars here...

I really appreciate your help and I am looking forward to getting the necessary advice...

All the best,

Theo

allthumbs    8

I found info on the Yamaha FG 730S. Great reviews. The nut, saddle and pins should be upgraded, which is pretty inexpensive. That is the only downside I read about it. The Yamaha has a spruce top so will take a while to break in. Spruce has a bright sound.

The ibanez has a cedar top. A softer wood, Doesn't have to be broken in. It has a warm mellow tone. The softer wood means it is more prone to damage. I couldn't find any reviews for it. I suspect it is a euro model.

Personally, I think the Yamaha is the better guitar. It is always a good thing to upgrade the pins, saddle and nut to bone anyway. Good luck.

We have several Yamaha players here who will likely give their opinion eventually.

Jomi    1

I have an old Yamaha which was cheap when I bought it in the 70's, I also have a very expensive Avalon guitar in Brazilian rosewood. While the Avalon is an absolute joy to play, the old Yamaha stands up pretty well, so I think it would be a good choice for you.

There are some real bargains from time to time on ebay so keep an eye on that too.

Maddog54    0

I'm not exactly the guitar guru Thodwris, but from what I've learned so far, Yamaha makes great guitars from the $150 range on up. I love mine. I guess converting to euros, mine would be a little less than the 300 you're looking at. The only thing I would change right now is the saddle, and only because its plastic(still sounds good, but I still know it can be better). Are there any shops around where you can play a few different models? I guess if you have to order online, I'd say you would have to try real hard to go wrong on a yamaha :)

thodwris    1

Hello guys and thank you all...

Allthumbs you should know a thing about me.I am not good at terms as saddle and pins.You know,it's rather hard cause I have to learn how different parts of the guitar are called in three different languages(Greek,Romanian and now American)!!I am oblidged to know so that I can make people understand what I am refering to.There are no shops here where I could upgrade my guitar nad to be sincere,I wouldn't trust any.So that is why I am looking for a guitar that would be good enough as it is.Here in Romania I can order a guitar or gear from the thomann site in Germany,Thomann Cyberstore .The two models I came up with sounded the more interesting...Thanks again for the info and your time.You are really helping,I appreciate it...

Hello Jomi and thanks for the info.The real questin here is this.Could I get the Yamaha and really enjoy playing or there is no way such thing can be acomplished?I am not lookin to spend 300 nad get a guitar that sounds like one that costs 1000,I want to be serious :) .Could an instrument with that kind of money sound good?If not,I should wait and save so that I get a better one compared to the one I would like to purchase....Thanks again fot the info.Take care there...

Hello there Maddog,how are you?..Trying different models is not really an option for me as the guitars that are brought here are mostly cheap ones.People don't really invest here in music.The most expensive I saw here was about 200 euro and it wasn't much different from the one I have now...Anyway,I heard that Yamaha acoustics were good and you guys think the same,so for now I guess I would go for the Yamaha....Thanks again for the tips and your time.Have a nice day there.Nice to talk to you...

All the best,

Theo

knight46    2

Thodwris,

Just took a look at reviews on the Guitar you have the Fender CD-60 and they were pretty good. There is a lot of good advice above and I guess I would like to add a little more if that is alright. The Yamaha's have a very good reputation for consistent quality and good sound and have low actions. The Fender is a laminated top where the FG700's have solid tops and AT is spot on the reviews of both types of wood for the tops.

Good luck on your search.

Stratrat    0

+1 on the Yamahas - they make a great guitar for any given price range. Another one to look at that may be at (or at least very close to) your price range is the Taylor 110ce. If you can get your hands on them over there, Breedlove also makes a few very nice guitars that are around that price range.

thodwris    1

Well,just came back from town.I was looking to test any acoustics available...The thing is that.I was greatly surprised by an Ibanez I found.The price was very low,but the sound it was making just conquered me.From that moment on,I am thinking to get the Ibanez AW 85 RLG.I would surely like to hear your opinion about this certain model and whether Yamaha makes better guitars than Ibanez...

Knight46 thanks a lot for the time you invested helping me out.I appreciate it...

Stratrat,thank you too for the info.The thing is that the guitar you mentioned costs over 900 euro on the cyberstore and it would take more than 1000 euro to buy it!I really don't have that kind of money.I am just looking to see if I can do a good job finding a cheaper guirat with a desent sound...

Thank you again all for helping me out...

All the best,

Theo

Maddog54    0

Hey, I've heard it here before and I believe it myself... If it sounds good, feels right, and plays well, then marry her.....uh I mean get it LOL

allthumbs    8

yep. Get it but, you have to be careful when it comes to low end guitars. The quality between the same model can be profound. You can find one that is just great next to the exact same guitar that is horrible. If you like the one in your hand then get that one. No guarantee that the one you order will sound as sweet or be as well constructed. Of course it could go the other way too but, the odds are not in your favour. All you can do is take your best shot and see what happens.

thodwris    1

Thanks again guys!!

Allow me to be annoying and ask one more question.Getting an Ibanez,that costs three times more than the price of another Ibanez I tested and liked,shouldn't have to mean that it is better?Or there are no warranties as you said allthumbs?Please tell me cause I wouldn't want to spend for a guitar three times the price of another I like and not get any results.It would be devastating!!

I really appreciate your help guys...

All the best,

Theo

Maddog54    0

Well, I'm thinking there are differences in the guitars making one 300 more....obviously. Could be the top(solid vs laminate / spruce vs cedar / etc...), could be the tuners, the rosette, the fretboard, etc....

go with your instinct...which one do you prefer? Personally, if I had a choice between 2 guitars I'd take the one that sounds and plays better. So be it if that guitar happens to be half the price.

thodwris    1

Hello again Maddog54..

I just found another guitar with better wood.Also an Ibanez,with solid cedar top,body and neck of mahogany and a rosewood fretboard.I think I will go for that one...I will do that hoping to get even better sound and enjoy playing more.I must say that you are right in what you said you would do if you were in my shoes.My choice is much more like an ambition.Anyway,I hope it turns out good...

Thank you again for being so kind and helping me make my chioce.I really appreciate it...Take care there friend.See you around...

All the best,

Theo

thodwris    1

Thank you in advance allthumbs.I say that cause I didn't get it yet,maybe next week(actually I will order it on Monday cause I didn't have the time to do it on to day and tomorrow the shop is closed).Wish me luck that it will be a real bargain :) ...

thodwris    1

I have the need of feedback with a guitar.I believe that a good guitar is made out of good wood.So,I already ordered a Cort guitar with solid spruce top,rosewood back and sides,mahogany neck,rosewood fretboard and bridge.The model exactly is Cort Earth 100R.It comes cheap for the wood that is used on it.I wanted to ask if someone knows about Cort guitars and if there is a chance that it sounds good...I don't want to be disappointed when I get it on Monday.I expect a lot from it and I would prefer it if I knew not to... :)

thodwris    1

Hello Maddog...

I didn't see you around for a couple of days and I started to wonder if you got bored of us or maybe just of me! :)

Thanks again for the wonderful job you did.The 100R wasn't listed,but the reviews were like sweet sound in my ears!What people commented there is just what I expect from it.A guitar that sounds a lot better,an upgrade compared to the one I have now.Fender CD-60 SB.All laminated with sonokeling(!!)fretboard.I wasn't expecting to buy a Gibson at this price so if the Cort is like they described it is more than ok for me...

Thanks again friend :winkthumb: .Take care there...

All the best,

Theo

thodwris    1

Maybe on Monday when I get it it will be ok carol.Thank you very much!I will tell you how it goes,but honestly,I don't think anyone here cares about a Cort.Especially at the price of 250 euro...I will tel you more on Monday...

thodwris    1

So,I finally got it!Brand new,handmade guitar,in a box,never opened.It looked nice,but the really good news came when I started to play.Clean,sweet and loud tone with good sustain.The difference with my old acoustic was huge!Yesterday when I first played it,I knew I had made the right choice ordering it.I would strongly recomend any guitarist if they want to buy a new acoustic to try out a Cort guitar.It works perfectly with me,I know I am satisfied and really excited :yeahhh: !