Brucehum

new adition: silvertone paul stanley

Brucehum    0

Hello all,

I've been a bit out of the guitar thing as soon after I started with the guitar I also started with the bass more seriously, with weekly classes and all. So basically, playing bass almost daily, and guitar once a week.

Last week, browsing over the second hand instrument list I check once a month I found something I couldn't resist: a Silvertone Paul Stanley PSSN1, half the price you can get in a shop here in Spain, and as a free gift, a small Behringer V-tone GM 108, which is a great practice amp in my opinion. I am a huge Kiss fan.

And it also had the mojo I like those second hand ones to have... it had been played in a kiss cover band. The band had split, and wife had told the guy he could only keep 1 of his 5 guitars.

When I asked about any changes, the answer was: "only the wood remains". Well, a bit more than that remains, but it is heavily modified: pickups are neck Epiphone, bridge Seymour Duncan (great sound). And he also rewired the whole interior, even adding condensers. I liked that he had put Schaller Security Locks (that way I don't have to do that)... never leave your house without them! And many more small changes.

So basically, with his changes, if I swapped the neck epiphone for seymour duncan I would have an improved PSSN2 (pro model of the same guitar).

The guitar is neck heavy, and the strap locks are in the back of the guitar, so it takes a bit to get used to it. Nothing is perfect!

So I am back to daily guitar fooling around. I wont yet call it play the guitar. Happy as a kid with a new toy.

silvertone_pssn1.jpg

silvertone_pssn1b.jpg

It can not be seen in the image, but the colour is not normal black, it is black with glitter. The pickguard is mirrored. (so yes, a glam guitar :winkthumb: )

question: what do the added condensers do?

funkypadre    2

I had one of these and sold it, because the wife was not happy with the number of guitars I owned. I wished I kept it now, because I loved the feel of the neck on that guitar.

Not a guitar for someone with short arms and it weighed a ton. Cool design. It's definitely something that needs upgrades.

Good for you. Looks fantastic.

nostraits    0

By 'condensers' are you referring to 'capacitors'? There was an article about shielding recently that included the fitting of a capacitor. I followed the instructions to re-wire my cheap strat-copy. Stopped the hum and noise. (Although hasn't improved the noise I make with it!)

Brucehum    0

I asked the guy who sold me the guitar, and he sent me a link to a long technical article (in Spanish) on how to rewire a Les Paul (he had used the article as basis).

So basically the idea of this addition is that when you lower the volume you don't lose the highs. (does this make any sense?)

Stratrat    0
...So basically the idea of this addition is that when you lower the volume you don't lose the highs. (does this make any sense?)

Yep - it's called a "treble bleed". Either a capacitor or a resistor & capacitor in combination, wired across two lugs of the volume pot.

Sweet guitar, BTW - congrats. It definitely has that Paul Stanley vibe to it! It kinda looks like a cross between his old Ibanez Iceman and a Gibson SG.

Brucehum    0

Exactly. Get used to it! The weight is similar to that of my Variax or of my bass. The difference is in the neck, which is heavier than I'm used to, but it is a great neck.

And the two schaller straplocks in the back of the guitar instead of in the sides need getting used to them pressing against the body too.

DerekSlide    0
Hello all,

I've been a bit out of the guitar thing as soon after I started with the guitar I also started with the bass more seriously, with weekly classes and all. So basically, playing bass almost daily, and guitar once a week.

Last week, browsing over the second hand instrument list I check once a month I found something I couldn't resist: a Silvertone Paul Stanley PSSN1, half the price you can get in a shop here in Spain, and as a free gift, a small Behringer V-tone GM 108, which is a great practice amp in my opinion. I am a huge Kiss fan.

And it also had the mojo I like those second hand ones to have... it had been played in a kiss cover band. The band had split, and wife had told the guy he could only keep 1 of his 5 guitars.

When I asked about any changes, the answer was: "only the wood remains". Well, a bit more than that remains, but it is heavily modified: pickups are neck Epiphone, bridge Seymour Duncan (great sound). And he also rewired the whole interior, even adding condensers. I liked that he had put Schaller Security Locks (that way I don't have to do that)... never leave your house without them! And many more small changes.

So basically, with his changes, if I swapped the neck epiphone for seymour duncan I would have an improved PSSN2 (pro model of the same guitar).

The guitar is neck heavy, and the strap locks are in the back of the guitar, so it takes a bit to get used to it. Nothing is perfect!

So I am back to daily guitar fooling around. I wont yet call it play the guitar. Happy as a kid with a new toy.

silvertone_pssn1.jpg

silvertone_pssn1b.jpg

It can not be seen in the image, but the colour is not normal black, it is black with glitter. The pickguard is mirrored. (so yes, a glam guitar :winkthumb: )

question: what do the added condensers do?

What a sexy axe.

OzeShin    0

Heya...I know this is an old thread...but I own one of these and I just moved the strap button to get rid of that neck heavy dive to the floor.

Plays/feels very much like an SG more than an Iceman IMHO.:yes:

Nice lookin' gittar, m'friend, and a damn fine price considering the upgrades. Good score, bro! :winkthumb:

wife had told the guy he could only keep 1 of his 5 guitars.

I will never re-marry.

Brucehum    0

Indeed, it does play much more like an SG.

Most people do change the strap button for that reason, but I'm sure it is made that way on purpose... to get that Paul Stanley with guitar looking down effect (when he is not playing it)

OzeShin    0

I've left my pickups the stock ones that came with the guitar...

I really only bought it as a novelty coz I too was/am a KISS fanatic and those Iceman are ever so elusive.