Noodler

Help deciding on amp ~ AC30

The rattling you hear in EL-84 tubes comes not from the glass tubes moving but from the inside mechanical components of the tube rattling against the tube envelope.

Older tube innards loosen up from vibration so sometimes new tubes take care of the rattle problem. The design of the

EL-84 tube is the real cause.

A seperate head/cab helps. I was constantly changing tubes on my EL-84 combo to keep the rattle at bay.

...A seperate head/cab helps. I was constantly changing tubes on my EL-84 combo to keep the rattle at bay.

That's one of the reasons I went head/cab for my Maz. I'd heard of issues with tube rattle in the combos, but having them as separates seemed to solve the problem. I've had no issues with tube rattle in the head, even when cranking it up to much-higher-than-neighbor-friendly volumes.

Noodler, if your amp is brand-new, the tubes shouldn't be anywhere near "on the way out". Not even on a display model, unless it's seen a LOT of playing (we're talking hundreds of hours). There are tube dampers you can buy that supposedly stop the rattling. I don't remember who the vendors are, but I'm sure a Google search would turn them up.

Noodler, if your amp is brand-new, the tubes shouldn't be anywhere near "on the way out". Not even on a display model, unless it's seen a LOT of playing (we're talking hundreds of hours). There are tube dampers you can buy that supposedly stop the rattling. I don't remember who the vendors are, but I'm sure a Google search would turn them up.

Boy am I glad to read this. :yes: I'll look for the damper thingys. Looks like I am going to have to void my warranty on this baby. The shop I bought it from had to get the amp from "out the back", so it wasn't actually on display, and it came without a box and with a couple of scratches on it. That shop also runs jam sessions. So I don't know the history of it, and I can't really ask them, "Hey did you guys thrash this thing on jam nights?" :dunno:

Will try to find a/the/some tube damper/s.

Older tube innards loosen up from vibration so sometimes new tubes take care of the rattle problem. The design of the

EL-84 tube is the real cause.

Yeah, that's what the manual said. Anyway, this buffer thing is worth a try. Why do people not mention that about EL84's? I thought it was just a C30 problem, but you'd be talking Vox as well.

I had a Mesa Boogie subway blues amp. It sounded great. It had EL-84 tubes and it had the rattle problem...I had a Mesa Blue Angel amp with 6V6 tubes on one side and EL-84's on the other....the EL-84 side always had rattle problems...I had to change the EL-84 tubes twice as often as the 6V6's which were very quiet.

It turns out it's OK. Was the room vibrating! On OD channel, the mids resonate parts of the room, especially the ceiling.

Works just fine on clean channel with od pedals, maybe less mids. Very happy now.

Thanks SlickCat. I thought for a moment I had bought the wrong one and should have gone AC15, but with OD pedals, you can get a nice "Brown Sound" out of it anyway. It is the right amp. I bought a reverb pedal today, and once I've got a tremolo pedal, my rig is complete. That's it, man. No more gear. Just playing with what I have. I've found my tone! So contented at last.:leadguitar:

Famous last words. If I won the lottery, I'd get an AC15 Hand-wired and I'm looking for a cleanish OD; cleanish but with rich harmonic content and sizzle or a treble boost pedal. D'oh!

...That's it, man. No more gear. Just playing with what I have. I've found my tone!...

<sigh> If only I had a dollar for every time I'd said that! :yes: GAS never ends - accept it now! I just traded one of my Teles in and came home with a new Epi Les Paul this afternoon. It never ends, I tell ya!

I responded about pedals in the stompbox thread.