telboy

lap steel?

telboy    0

hi folks, anyone on here play lapsteel? im just starting up, bought myself a cheapie on ebay a few weeks back £50.00 + case etc,im mainly into the western swing players,bob dunn,leon macauliff etc...does anyone know of some good tutorial aids for the above that caters for beginners? thanks in advance terry:winkthumb:

Stratrat    0

Never played one, but love the sound and would like to learn it someday. If you get a chance, do a search for "Cindy Cashdollar" some time - she's amazing on both the lap and pedal steel!

I'm sure there's a 'steel forum somewhere out there. Maybe a Google search would turn it up.

allthumbs    8

Lap steel is basically just a guitar played on your lap. No fingering, just sliding. You need to decide on a tuning. The 3 most common are open G, Open D and open A. You can also just play tuned to standard or dropped D and use what you already know of the fretboard.

Another difference is you can slant the slide which gives you more playing options like pedal steel players use.

You can find some dropped D slide lessons on this site. Tabs for slide are not that easy to come by. I don't play open tuning anymore so I have lost all my open tuning slide tabs. There are some sites out there. It may take a bit of work to find them though.

RadMan49    0
hi folks, anyone on here play lapsteel? im just starting up, bought myself a cheapie on ebay a few weeks back £50.00 + case etc,im mainly into the western swing players,bob dunn,leon macauliff etc...does anyone know of some good tutorial aids for the above that caters for beginners? thanks in advance terry:winkthumb:

I have been playing lap steel for a little over a year. EBay has some excellent beginner courses on lap steel. I have 2 lap steels. I keep one tuned to C6 (country and western) and the other to open "E."(blues and rock) I am 59 years old and started playing guitar when I was 14 years old. I had to hang up the guitar 14 years ago when I had an industrial accident that left me with 2 and 1/2 fingers on my left hand. My main axe then was a Gibson Les Paul standard linked to Peavey Duce 2 channel amp with 2 15 inch Black Widow speakers. My main axe now is a vintage(60 years old) Magnatone lap steel. I play through a Roland CubeX 30 amp. I will be soon purchasing a Peavey Power slide lap steel. Also use the Google search engine and you will find tabs for the lap steel. Grease that slide!!

Rayzcane    0

Hi Terry,

For the type of music you want to play, you can't go wrong with the DVDs from georgeboards.com

If you would like to see some free samples of these courses, go to youtube and type in a search for "georgeboards". If you want to hear this guy play, be sure to check out "Sleepwalk" and "Crazy" in that section!

You can get his entire 12-disc package for under $65 USD. He shows you how to get "that sound". Look for a link called 10 disc special on the home page.

I mostly play slide in open E on a Line 6 Variax 300 electric. But, like you I also recently ordered the el cheapo lap steel. I am torn between electric slide ala Elmore James and the pretty country stuff. So, I have decided to learn both, on different instruments.

Ray Langley

m0aur    0

I came across this site today while chasing around looking for Pedal Steel sites, and like you I have just bought my first Lap. This site interested me with a variation of E6th tuning which leans toward Pedal capabilities with just a 6 string lap, but the main thing, is that it looks to make life a bit easier for a lap newbie!

I have left w's off cos I cannot post links yet

.pedalsteelguitar.net/lapsteel.php

RadMan49    0

I am torn between the C6th and the open E tunning. I was told you should pick one tunning and stick with that. Like you I have decided to learn both. Adds more flavor. I bought a Jim Dunlop volume pedal and that opened up a whole new playing style. I can make my lap steel sound like a pedal steel. Love it!!

RadMan49    0

I would love to have a National lap steel today. I paid $300 for my restored Magnatone. Back in the 50"s it sold for $59.00. The one lap steel I would love to own is the National New Yorker or one of the older Fender Champs.